Pollen. The art of breeding.

• Thread starter joanocsa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

joanocsa

I see alot of time ppl asking on how to collect store and use pollen.
Here we will see a simple way of the above.

1. Select a flowering male.
2. Collect the pollen from the male. (I use a bottle cap. I place it under the male ripen flower and gently shake. you will be able to see the pollen (yellowish powder) falling on the bottle cap).
3. Select the female you want to pollinate. I take the female out of my grow room.
4. Paint the female bud. (I use a leaf finger cause it is very sticky and a dark green easy to see the pollen. Illustrated on the picture.)
5. To store the remaining pollen just put the cap in a film container and put in the freezer. (pollen can go a long time but I recomend to use fresh pollen when you are going to pollinate.)

Pollen1
Pollen2
Pollen3
Pollen4
I

ineffable420

i would be afraid of having that pollen going everywhere doing it like that personally. Pollen can travel for miles if disturbed in dishence. I have it more thoroughly covered in the above link. I'm very selective in the male because that's half of your genetics, i choose the strongest and most fragrant male for pollen. To ensure pollination i place a bag over the pistules and leave for 48 hours, and very very carefully remove as not to scatter any pollen.
cheers!

M

Moiorising

Collecting pollen, breeding, cloninin, curing, making hash....there are as many GOOD ways as making chili. Really no best over all only a personal best for each individual to find for themselves. I personally prefer collecting several envelopes with my pollen over the course of a weeki or two...this allows me to use an envelope at a time and trash it an not contaminate my other pollen. I can see collecting it in a vial but seriously unless you need a pillowcase of beans for some reason its sorta over kill in my opinion...

A big thing to be careful with when fertilizing your girls is errant pollen and over pollinating....It can get all over your house and clothes and fertilize everything for weeks...trust me its happened here...That why I just cut everything off but the top and wrap it in and envelope to catch that nut...Over pollenating will make week unhealthy seeds so try and only fert about half your available hairs for the best beans no Matter how skilled your kungfu.. Again though theres a ton of good ways to do it and as long as you acheive what you want all of them work fine I've created millions of seed in my day
with my ways and I just prefer it simple so I can keep up with the pollen and organize my pollen bank easy in a recipe boxs in my freezer. get ya a box of envelopes some q-tips some proven cuts n males n cups for easy mobility a good pair of lungs eyes and a nose for testin and your a breeder man...welcome to the show. Share n share alike.

peace out

J

Jah Leon

Beautiful seed shots. Ever made breeding boxes, it easier when you want to produce large amounts of seeds. Create small boxes where you introduce the females in 2 weeks in before the male. Usually in nature it happens the other way around and the male matures first but we will turn it around for the fun of breeding seeds. Then introduce the male in this close box and walla perfect breeding but this technique is for when you just want seeds or else yours is great.

Storing father plants
Has anyone attempted to store father plants? Very few sites do it and good male material is hard to find.

Everyone is willing to give cutting from mother plants but how many of us can actually get good male cuts. I find that if you keep the male in veg and use a clone to determine the sex before hand you can keep male plants so far it worked. Then you can keep your selected males that give good results for future crossing or back crossing experiments. There is many benefits of this:-
1.(keeping the mother and father alive you can recreate the same f1s over and over
2.(have access to a ready pollen supply of known affects
3.(multiple test crosses can be found and played with at leisure

but then you need to keep the clone alive and stop genetic drift. Studying other plants that are clone only gives an idea how this can be done.

Bless

F

FruitOfTheLabor

actually

actually i have been doing this for a little while now.. i have a magic bud male. cloned from the father.. and i just took 5 of each clones of all my 20 males.. then i think im going to toss all the fathers outside just to see if i can figure out which has the most balls.. if any has resin .. if any stink.. and record what i have and see hwat happens.. i only have breed with a magic bud male... and i had an accidental pollination with a purps female the first time.. and a crazy cross the second time.. and then the third time u had a sour cream hermi on me 3 weeks before harvest.. and im not sure if it dusted any of the other ladies.. but i dont think it did..

butttt i have been trying to tell people to either save pollen and label it .. or keep a male in veg.. i actually have told people i know that also grow seed.. i would take any male plants of known heritage. so i have a Mindbender Male .. Mango Male... skunkhaze male.. and kc x brasil male.. and a hashplant haze male.. trying to find a good one..

Top Bottom