Pollinating one or two bud sites on a female

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QuantumGen

QuantumGen

I have one really sweet Golden Lion GSC Forum x DubKing female plant and would like to try to produce some seeds off of her. I also have some fresh Big Bud x DK pollen.

Is it possible to pollinate just two bud sites on the GSC using a paint brush dipped in pollen without impregnating the entire plant? I've read that some folks do this using a paintbrush and then cover the bud site with a bag for a few days.
Yes it is! But dont cover the bud. That humidity... Who knows what that will do. Dont risk it. Just move the plant for a day. Take it out. Dip your paint brush in your pollen(i use a fine tip watercolor brush) and paint up your sites as you wish, being gentle, but paying attention to make sure you get pollen on those sexy, fresh, white(maybe slightly pink) stigmas and leave her for a day. (of course make sure its a comfortable environment) wash the bud site off with some clean, clear water and return to the room. Easy.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Yes it is! But dont cover the bud. That humidity... Who knows what that will do. Dont risk it. Just move the plant for a day. Take it out. Dip your paint brush in your pollen(i use a fine tip watercolor brush) and paint up your sites as you wish, being gentle, but paying attention to make sure you get pollen on those sexy, fresh, white(maybe slightly pink) stigmas and leave her for a day. (of course make sure its a comfortable environment) wash the bud site off with some clean, clear water and return to the room. Easy.

Love this way. For sure no contamination

QuantumGen

QuantumGen

Love this way. For sure no contamination
Indeed. If controlled pollination is the end you seek. I find if the male goes in like 3 weeks earlier(for open pollination) than the ladies everything is super groovy. If major beans are the goal. Crossing for personal pheno hunts just cuz you thought it'd be dope to see what kind of beast you get when you cross a elephant with a rhino, this type of controlled situation it the bee knees.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Listening with much interest

M

motz

Left plastic bag on for over 24 hours did not make any difference. Got a little moist in there but the deed got done. Sealed up wit a twist tie. Like the paint brush method better.

MGRox

MGRox

Suppose I'm a bit late on replies here, but I guess I've only ever done manual pollination. I tend to use toothpicks as opposed to a paint brush, but would be fairly similar. A toothpick allows for a very tiny amount of pollen to be held on it. I typically pollinate a single (mid level) branch, if it's something I want to test or have around. I suppose this method works without having to remove the female from others around it. I DO shut off any fans (and typically pollinate at lights off). If I see that the pistils are wilting in 3-4 days; then I know where all got pollinated and that it was sufficient.

D

DE Northbay

I have one really sweet Golden Lion GSC Forum x DubKing female plant and would like to try to produce some seeds off of her. I also have some fresh Big Bud x DK pollen.

Is it possible to pollinate just two bud sites on the GSC using a paint brush dipped in pollen without impregnating the entire plant? I've read that some folks do this using a paintbrush and then cover the bud site with a bag for a few days.

I realize this response is about 4 years late but soon you should be seeing in your grow stores a pollinating device that meets all the requirements that you're looking for I recently patented one. I'm trying to find manufacture to help produce it in Mass quantity.
Can be used in door or out. Photo types on eBay soon....

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

It's way easy. Collect the pollin (if you intend on saving it in the freezer, use the proper container)
Pull the plants you intend to pollinate out of the flower room. Shut off ac, in house, warehouse, or whatever your grow spot is, al well as carbon filters, and fans in grow room. If you have a good negative pressure, and any pollin spills, it can be sucked in your flower area, and expect a whole lots beans, so cutting off anything that circulates air is important.
Once you have everything set, use a wet paint brush, and pollinate all the branches you want done. I like to put a twist tie, and label each branch with what pollin was used.
Let it chill for a few, and put it back in.
The pistols will begin to recede, and you'll have pleanty of beans, and you'll know what cross went to what branch.
You have pleanty of good advice from just about every post I read. It's not rocket science yet, just be cautious, and use common sense

D

DE Northbay

It's way easy. Collect the pollin (if you intend on saving it in the freezer, use the proper container)
Pull the plants you intend to pollinate out of the flower room. Shut off ac, in house, warehouse, or whatever your grow spot is, al well as carbon filters, and fans in grow room. If you have a good negative pressure, and any pollin spills, it can be sucked in your flower area, and expect a whole lots beans, so cutting off anything that circulates air is important.
Once you have everything set, use a wet paint brush, and pollinate all the branches you want done. I like to put a twist tie, and label each branch with what pollin was used.
Let it chill for a few, and put it back in.
The pistols will begin to recede, and you'll have pleanty of beans, and you'll know what cross went to what branch.
You have pleanty of good advice from just about every post I read. It's not rocket science yet, just be cautious, and use common sense

My pollinating device would alleviate you having to remove your plant from the grow room and additionally you wouldn't have the inconvenience of shutting off all your ventilation for a period of time which can cause more havoc than you might think. This device is more specifically designed for the outdoor grower or for someone growing plants to large to pick up and move.

frebo

frebo

I am going to pollinate some of my girls to get a little seed soon. I like the paint brush idea. I just used my fingers before and that always worked.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I am going to pollinate some of my girls to get a little seed soon. I like the paint brush idea. I just used my fingers before and that always worked.
I’m fixing to do some as well in a week or so. I use paintbrush method and I add flour to my pollen to extend and “dilute “ it a bit so that o don’t get any extra floating around. Hit it, wash it and hope for some beans!!

frebo

frebo

[QUOTE="frebo, post: 2172559, member: 44899
I am going to pollinate some of my girls to get a little seed soon. I like the paint brush idea. I justused my fingers before and that always worked.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I got a lot of seed. I crossed NYD, Space Queen, Jack’s Cleaner, Sour Punch, Valley Girl and PHK with “Tropical Cherry Lime”. I have planted seed plants of all of these and all are about 3’ to 4’ tall. I am checking everyday for signs of sex.
I was very selective with my pollinating and found more seeds on those branches than the ones I didn’t pollinate, but I found seed every where. In talking to other growers, they also got random seed in their plants. I had a neighbor about a 1/4 mile away growing hemp and more neighbors are growing hemp this year. I wish they had to use feminized seed. I have a friend who said he was putting in 100 acres of hemp this year and got $400 a pound for hemp flowers and no hand trimming required. He uses feminized seed.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
[QUOTE="frebo, post: 2172559, member: 44899
I am going to pollinate some of my girls to get a little seed soon. I like the paint brush idea. I justused my fingers before and that always worked.
Well, I got a lot of seed. I crossed NYD, Space Queen, Jack’s Cleaner, Sour Punch, Valley Girl and PHK with “Tropical Cherry Lime”. I have planted seed plants of all of these and all are about 3’ to 4’ tall. I am checking everyday for signs of sex.
I was very selective with my pollinating and found more seeds on those branches than the ones I didn’t pollinate, but I found seed every where. In talking to other growers, they also got random seed in their plants. I had a neighbor about a 1/4 mile away growing hemp and more neighbors are growing hemp this year. I wish they had to use feminized seed. I have a friend who said he was putting in 100 acres of hemp this year and got $400 a pound for hemp flowers and no hand trimming required. He uses feminized seed.
[/QUOTE]
Where’s he finding fem hemp seeds? From what I know no body is doing fem hemp cause they mostly extract cbd from
Seeds ?? I do think there is more “quantity “ in flower so interesting to know that someone has taken the time to make feminized hemp seeds.

rayi

rayi

I take a branch and pull it outside the tent. Then close the zippers closed gently around the branch. I then stuff plastic bag around the branch. Make sure the fan is off. Use a small brush of cotton tip
Dip in pollen and tap over the buds you want to pollenate. Leave the branch out of the tent for the rest of the day. Just before lights out gently spray the branch and put back in the tent. If you do this start in the morning so the pollen has 12 to do it's thing

Latest posts

Top Bottom