Pool Shock help please

• Thread starter Jaycewin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jaycewin

Jaycewin

I have some Super Shock thats 56%. Does anyone know how much I need to add for a 50gal res? I know most people mix it with water... and then add that mixture to the res, but I wanted to skip that step since I have a couple big res's.

Is it 1ml per 1gal... so 50ml per 50gal? I just wanted to ask before I end up nuking all my babies with bad math.

Please and Thanks for the help

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
What are you using it for? I cent think of any reason isd ever use pool chemicals on my plants ever.

sambapati

sambapati

I have some Super Shock thats 56%. Does anyone know how much I need to add for a 50gal res? I know most people mix it with water... and then add that mixture to the res, but I wanted to skip that step since I have a couple big res's.

Is it 1ml per 1gal... so 50ml per 50gal? I just wanted to ask before I end up nuking all my babies with bad math.

Please and Thanks for the help
Dont think that pool chemicals and wèed mix

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
So why not get some h2o2 I use it only to sterilize my equipment. What are you trying to do with it kill bacteria? Or you got alge? Root root? Or as preventative?

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Pool shock is basically just chlorine major amounts of it. Many won't use tap water due to chlorine until it's gassed of over time and in uv lights.

Def not something you would wanna Fred to your pkants especially hydro.

shenkerism

shenkerism

How do you identify that "it works fine"? In large stock tanks I know that it's pretty common to add something to keep unwanted life down, but if you're not certain, the only way to get a safe rate would be to start very low and increase until you see positive results and before you nuke the plants. I suggest looking for information from an ag college extension site.
Or find another product which contains chlorine, is labeled for reservoir preventative, take that rate, do the math so you know you're adding the same PPM of chlorine in case the product is a different concentration.

50ml for 50gal sounds pretty hot to me.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
1 gram pool shock to 1 gallon H20 for concentrate.
1 oz concentrate treats 5 gallons nutrient solution.
3-5 ppm

This can also be achieved with 1 tsp. unscented laundry bleach per gallon of H20.

Jaycewin

Jaycewin

I forgot my math but I ended up doing 0.30 grams of pool shock per 10 gallons added directly into res. So my res is 50 gallons, so I put in roughly 1 gram straight in. So I'm thinking that's around 2-3 ppm to start with.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Pool shock works fine for a sterile system. The key is the dosage. No different than something like UC roots or other. H2o2 can also easily kill plants at the wrong dosage. It doesn't matter what you use it's the dosage that determines whether it's lethal or not.

Hell almost all rice is fairly high in arsenic but that doesn't mean eating it here and there is a problem.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Of mercury in fish or chlorine we add to flour to make white bread or bromine another pool cleaner.

Bleach which was heavily used in food until recently.

Even still pool chems are not cheap why not just use the correct stuff? Every country the world has access to ag fertilizer.

He'll even make your own using composted food scraps and urine.

I know it's trivial considering heavy metals and stuff but I don't wanna eat the stuffed used as weapons in ww1.

Can you imagine watching your best friends face melting from chlorine then find out it's in every "white" food you eat.

Plus I maybe wrong as it happens from time to time but I'd would assume that even if it will work that's it's different from the minute amount the plant may actually use.

Now I need a reminder why it's advised not to use tap water? Seems the more I read about a plants needs I'm paying extra for water ro come winter calmag when its in my tap water with everyone micro nute I add to my ro water already.

I'm starting to think not using tap water is bro science. I always figured the chlorine is why your not supposed to use tap water.

shenkerism

shenkerism

I think the main reason using tap water is not recommended by many, is that even if your tap water is normally at a fine rate for a plant, you're not really in control of what's in the water itself. Across the U.S. in particular, we have a significant variety in potable water sources and standards. And the structure of the municipalities that manage water quality are managing it mostly for human consumption.
In my own experience, I have seen pretty drastic swings in the EC and pH of the water coming out of my tap, but at it's most average, it's nothing I wouldn't feed to a plant.
In the anecdotal experience of others....: Almost 100,000 people had their tap water source switched to one that would cause lead to leach out of old pipes. Nobody told them, it's been six years. Flint, Michigan.

DWC.4LIFE

DWC.4LIFE

I forgot my math but I ended up doing 0.30 grams of pool shock per 10 gallons added directly into res. So my res is 50 gallons, so I put in roughly 1 gram straight in. So I'm thinking that's around 2-3 ppm to start with.
You can buy chlorine strips and that will tell you how much total and free chlorine is available in your systems

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Chlorine(bleach) disrupts an enzyme in our liver or pancreas that breaks down sugar. Some want to link it to diabetes...wouldnt shock me if its the second or maybe first culptit causing diabetes in developed countries....

Top Bottom