Pool Shock?

• Thread starter Highatollah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Highatollah

I've seen it mentioned in other threads but I was just wondering if anyone currently is using it and if so what is your dosing procedure? UC Roots is damn expensive.
Thanks.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I've seen it mentioned in other threads but I was just wondering if anyone currently is using it and if so what is your dosing procedure? UC Roots is damn expensive.
Thanks.
Havent used it but I think they are using it close to the amounts of UC roots. Wait tho, someone will come along and give you some decent advice, cause I know Ive read a few posts on it.

Toph420

Toph420

Want to see answer to this as I'm buying uc roots currently and its not easy on the wallet for sure..

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

That is correct. Same EXACT ingredient as EZ Clone Clear Rez that sells for $20 a QT.

Get your self a 1 lb bag of HTH Pool shock non PH buffered available online and most hardware stores (bought mine from Ace). Mix 1 GRAM (450 in the bag) per gallon of solution. Will make the SAME EXACT concentration fo the SAME EXACT product. $4 will make you 450 gallons of the stuff and will treat over 286,000 gallons of water !!:clap: Should last you a little while ... Can you say markup ?? :shock:

Been using this on all my clone machines and all my ebb and flow reservoirs now with great success. You use 1 OZ per 5 gallons. I actually make it a lot stronger at 24 grams per gallon then only have to use a teaspoon per 5 gallons. Works very well in both systems. Works better then H202. You need to reapply every 3 days to keep bacteria at bay. You can actually use much stronger doses if you like. City water is 1-5 PPM of chorine when you add this it only raises the PPM level of chlorine less then 1/2 a PPM. Very safe and very effective. Found my PH levels to be much more stable in my larger reservoirs compared to using 2 doses of 30% H202 per week. Its doing a better job of killing the nasties :-o

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

This is a GREAT thread... I read somethin like this in a different forum went on foreeeevvver about enzymes and different pondzymes!

From what I learned.. Pondzymes of all different brands are a fantastic alternative to hefty priced hydroponic enzymes such as cannazyme and hygrozyme.. seeing that they have the same ingredients only 66times more concentrated woweeee!

That said.. and pardon my pushing of certain brand name products (thats not forbidden on this forum if I'm correct ? lol)

Instead of the 25 bucks you normally pay for whatever zyme for what a 500ml bottle I think? Treats what is it 80 gallons??

Check out Bio Cozyme... its not AS concentrated as say pondzymes BUT its still many many many times more concentrated than other leading brands. I used 2.5 ml in my two gallon watering can and that's the double strength recommendation :)

I actually popped in on this thread to talk about how my aero cloner is killing cuttings at a murderous rate! Seems like more people than less here are stating that to get hundred percent success cloning you should use tap water! OK OK lets all keep our pantalonies on..

I'm sayin I like zymes for coir, so far bio cozyme been marvelous to me!!! Plants seem to love it and its supposed to help with N uptake.

Back to tap water, Tap is high in Cal/Mg according to all these city water analysis and world health zombie a-holes ... you know WHO..

My theory is that RO water is pulling nutes out of the cuttings even if you add a balanced ration of say Cal/Mg or a nute solution or what have you... That and the Chlorine!!

I'm sorry but it all makes sense now! My mother (passed her green thumb on to me ) has some kind of popular vine plant with a girls name... anyway, she always has cuttings of it in flower vases.. if that's even proper eengrish?

I was sayin to myself the other day "self... why is it that your mowder can root so successfully when she just dunks them cuttings in a tap water filled clear container??!!"

I responded to myself by sayin....Self.. its probably just the type of plant :) well now I think me knows a lil some some PRESHHHHUSSS and I didn't know a few hours ago!

Much love and thanks for the herbifical epiphany!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Yesterday, I made up my first batch of calcium hypochlorite solution for use in reservoirs that feed Tropf Blumat drippers. Using one gram of 47.6% HTC brand and 80ml distilled water gives me twice the concentration of the 24g per gallon recipe.

My problem is, the calcium hypochlorite does not dissolve completely in the 115ml brown glass vanilla bottle I use for dispensing. Stuff still settles out after vigorous shaking--have I reached the limit of solubility?

No. 21g / 100ml h2o at 25 C. Try warm your solution a little.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

make a chiller out of a dehumidifier....

It's soooooo easy to do. I was very hesitant to do it considering I could be scrapping a $180 dehumidifier. Don't be, just take your time and find the screws to get this thing apart. If I remember well enough, you have to remove the bucket to get to some and some are on the very bottom. After that, just gently move the radiator out from the housing. It will be attached as not to move inside the housing but like I said, take your time and save yourself a LOT of money. From there, you can either dip it into the REZ or create whatever elaborate creation you want.
I have had it dipped in my tank for 6 months and no issues. No rust (It's titanium), no leaching of metals to the REZ, PH is stable... Nothing at all to note.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

your a gun supdro, thank you kindly. I got the understaning of the mixing now, im wrapped...i was getting confused when everyone is talking about using pool shock. I wanted to ask that the amounts they apply to the res is from the mixed solution they make. So when everyones talks about put "X" amount into there res, it is from the MIXED solution the make first.

So to mix the SOLUTION batch to use:
5 grams of pure Pool shock (45% calcium hyd) to 1 gallon of water = SOLUTION MIX.....then to use it

1-5ml per gallon of the SOLUTION MIX to your res according to your requirements.

I have spent the last 5 days reading and there are so many different mixtures.

some say 1 gram of pure pool shock (at 45% clcium hyd) to 1 gallon water to mix the mixture then
use 30ml per gallon of water of the mixture to use in your res. This is assuming you are using the 45% pool shock.

In my area i dont have HTH pool shock but have these

it is at 70% calcium hy

I have also all these to choose from
or

I have also found this mixing formula bu Jiji (thank you for helping the community)

I have some calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) that says 49% available chlorine. How much do I add to get 2 ppm of chlorine to a 100 gallon reservoir?

To figure for 2 ppm of TOTAL chlorine is simple.

Remember 1mg/L = 1 ppm

So 2 ppm would be 2 mg per liter of water.

100 gallons = 378.5 liters. So 378.5 x 2 = 757 mg

But its only 49 percent strong. So 757/.49=1545 mg or 1.545 g

- Jiji

what do i follow, and can you from your experience suggest the right pool shock to get from my area.

Just confused a little, but know to mix the pure pool shock first then use the mixed solution, just wanting to confirm acuuratley safe amounts to work with as i dont have a chlorine meter.
Just finished a 12 week cycle in my rdwc system. First time running pool shock for me. Results were great. Worked better for me than hydroguard. Using a rdwc system w/ a chiller.

I have HTH shock from walmart.
1 gram powder to 1 gal water
Once you have your 'solution'
I add 5ml per gal. When I change out my 30 gal system 1x per week, I add 150ml of my solution to my rez change. Sometimes I might add a little more mid-week. You can smell it when it's nice and clean.
That seemed to work great for me.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I have 8 rez's each roughly 80-90 gallons. I do not want to be adding a teaspoon per 5 gallons. Can someone who is better at math than me tell me how much powder I should directly add to the rez or make a MUCH more concentrated solution so that a couple tablespoons would be enough for 80 gallons of water?

Also, will this keep my rez clean for 2-3 weeks or will I have to add more? I know chlorine evaporates out of water over time but unsure ho quickly.
Just make a gallon of the solution as directed and use 3/8 cup of solution per 90 gallons or 1/3 cup per 80 gallons. I didn't read the instructions that close but if it is in fact 1 teaspoon of solution per 5 gallons then the numbers I stated will be spot on. There are 16 cups in a gallon. Should Hold you over for a bit even running 8 reservoirs at 90 gallons each. That's only 3 cups of solution. A gallon of solution would treat 42 and 2/3 90 gallon reservoirs 1 time. Or your 8 - 90 gallon reservoirs 5 and 1/3 time. Hope this helps.

Freshone

Freshone

The stuff settling out is probably just some kind of inert carrier like a talc,Id just shake it up before use.It happens with alot of powdered things,like jacks or veg n bloom for example.

H

Highatollah

You need to reapply every 3 days to keep bacteria at bay.

I've only put UC Roots in when I fill my system at 5ml/gal and then add it to my reservoir feeder at 5ml/gal. Is adding it twice a week a common practice?

H

Highatollah

I do not want to be adding a teaspoon per 5 gallons. Can someone who is better at math than me tell me how much powder I should directly add to the rez or make a MUCH more concentrated solution so that a couple tablespoons would be enough for 80 gallons of water?

Always smarter to dilute then add.

1 tsp = 4.93ml, just round it to 5 and your dosage is 5ml/5gal or 1/1. So add 1ml solution per gallon of water. Just measure 80ml using a 100ml syringe.

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Always smarter to dilute then add.

1 tsp = 4.93ml, just round it to 5 and your dosage is 5ml/5gal or 1/1. So add 1ml solution per gallon of water. Just measure 80ml using a 100ml syringe.
I recouped that from icmag.
This was questions from that thread. I thought them questions would benefit somebody here.
I'm gonna use Uc roots for my first run...

H

Highatollah

Bought some pool shock at the local store. 73% calcium hypochlorite and 27% other stuff. I think I'm going to try 3g/gallon for my solution. Then start out just 3mg/gallon of solution to my UC. I'm nervous but bleach shouldn't be an issue... I think. I'll have to use a scale for the powder and figure out the weight of a tbsp worth of pool shock to make it easier.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Bought some pool shock at the local store. 73% calcium hypochlorite and 27% other stuff. I think I'm going to try 3g/gallon for my solution. Then start out just 3mg/gallon of solution to my UC. I'm nervous but bleach shouldn't be an issue... I think. I'll have to use a scale for the powder and figure out the weight of a tbsp worth of pool shock to make it easier.
Im watching... U see that thread on cc and clear grow? I tag u in it so u can read it.

Toph420

Toph420

Bout half way through my gallon of uc roots, waiting to see what happens.

Top Bottom