Poor man's air cooled hood!

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

Here is the best 60 bones I spent on this hobby, well maybe second only to them MoeMist beans atleast :cool0041:

Anywho...it was my objective to eliminate my AC from my room but I didn't have the coin for air cooled hoods so I checked around about retro-fitting cool-tubes to my hoods, some recommended blowing an axial fan at them instead so I tried that first, and to my amazement it dropped my canopy temps from about 87 down to 81.

This thing I think is rated around 230 cfm, and I can see all kinds of potential uses for it. You can get it right between the light and the canopy and get a nice air flow over you babies without botherin them like most fans, etc...

Poor mans air cooled hood
Poor mans air cooled hood 2
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Great tip! I'm heading to Lowe's today because my room is (finally!) heating up. 90F within two hours of lights on. Of course, I had my husband 'tighten' it up, dropped the ceiling, added insulation, etc. Worked almost too well, I need better air intake first, if that doesn't work then I think I'll need to add ventilation in which case... $$$. These muffin fans could work it well for me, though. I don't think Lowe's has them, but maybe Staples does.

S

STUPPA

It's definitely a good idea to keep the air under the bulb constantly moving , and even if your temps are still high after doing this at least you are moving that hot stuffy air away from the plants tops and keeping it moving .

6" clip on osc fans are good for this aswell and i also use a little computer fan with an adjustable adaptor plug to blow across my fluoro's and the plant tops, just clips on to the end of the fluoro really nice.

Top Bottom