Popping Seeds Outdoors?

• Thread starter Blix
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Blix

Is there any real problem with this? I am planning a grow for this spring but I don't have the resources or really the will to try to start them indoors.

Would it be cool just to try to germ them outdoors in wet soil with maybe a clear glass or plastic bag over the seed?

Sorry if this has been posted it wasn't in the grow FAQ.

I am dead tired from a project and need to get cracking on gathering information or else I would read a book first.

Thanks - Blix

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
starting seeds for outdoors

the best investment you can make is a jiffy cube tray.they cost 6-8$ hold 72 jiffy cubes you fluff-up by adding water.after you have swelled up peat cubes add 2-3 seeds to each cube and place plastic dome on top. keep in sunny area, by window, seeds should sprout in a week or so. keep moist, remove lid and wipe off moisture once a day. when you want to plant take tray to area or get cubes to planting area, remove the plastic netting around peat pellet and plant as usual.the longer you raise the plants before planting in outdoors the better their chances of not being eaten by your friendly wildlife. you can also surround the transplanted plants with a green plastic coated wire circle(a piece of 18" to 2' wire fence rolled to a circle about 1' in diameter) pressed into the ground a couple of inches and staked. this will keep any wildlife from eating your children.

best of luck
mal

M

Malachi

I agree with Mal, but I would only put 1 seed per jiffy. They are like 13 cents a piece, and doubt you are going to be germing more then 72 plants. I would invest in a 4 ft florecent fixture from wal-mart. they run like 10 bucks and spend another 6 bucks on (2) T-8 cool white bulbs. So you are in it for like 25 bucks with the jiffy tray. Germ your seeds in total darkness until you see sprouts coming up, then move under the T-8 bulbs. This will be enough light to get your little girls the jump start they need. Sow your seeds indoors the first week of April and they will be about 6" -10" tall when you put them out the middle of May. The wanning moon is the 3rd week of May this year, so plant in the ground on May 20 for best rooting. Keep an eye on them the first month of their lives and you should be in for a bountiful harvest. Good luck - Malachi

F

forehead

What has greatly improved the success rate of this for me is to start the seeds in a papertowel a few days before hand so your taking healthy sprouts with nice taproots out to plant and you know they are already kickin..simple and easy ..and MUCH more effective than directly sowing them in the ground..prep the spot atleast 2 weeks(pref.2 months) prior..good luck.

B

Blix

Ok so I'm hearing it's ok?? Especially if i sprout them in a paper towel first?

My whole issue is I can't set up an elaborate flouro set up in my room right now. Well I could but I would like to avoid it.

I was thinking of taking 5 fem seeds and just trying to sprout them all.

I live in a dry area (no rivers) so I am thinking of a real small op because I will have to bring every drop of water from home.

Therefor I don't mind one or two dying in the process of trying to get established outdoors at a young age.

I was thinking a little fencing and some slug repellent and starting out doors from sprouts.

Thanks for any feed back, especially first hand experience.

- Blix

P

pokerman

if there seeds that aren't expensive then i would go ahead and plant them outside but with a dome with a vent...but if there seeds that are expensive then i would try to get them established inside and make sure they survive.....also u should try to find a way to start them inside so u could get more female from seeds.....like 70 temp, blue light, timer on for 17 hrs, enough nitrogen....

Climbinghigh

Climbinghigh

This past season I germed seeds outside for the first time and it worked great. I started them in styrofoam cups (with drainage holes of course), full of soil. The cups were placed in a clear plastic bin that I covered with chicken wire- I have a lot of critter problems, especially bears.

I would reccommend protecting your tender seedlings somehow, and cups or small pots full of potting soil might be better as they dry out much slower than Jiffys-
Good luck!

K

Kalcu

There can be a serious problem with soil instability, things have a tendency to float to the surface and float around. The Jiffy starters is a good idea but I prefer plugs that are supposedly made from a synthetic substance that breaks down....the jiffy plugs have been known to have bug eggs...not great things.

A cold frame is pretty cheap but you have to get one that is green or it's not going to hide to well. I'd go for that myself, but it's really easy to start indoors...unless you just can't work out a cupboard space.....it takes very little wattage with CFL's to get some nice starts that are not going to float around and seeds are very vulnerable!

Critters love nothing more than finding cannabis seeds before nature has even begun making any! They like your tender early starts too, they aren't even old enough to insure slugs don't get them.

If you do put plugs out, stump on your soil a lot so it's very compact and let it rain a bit so what floats has floated...that way you don't have it settling while your germinating.

D

dusty

Glass or plastic will destroy the seed. If you plant the seed in to a 1 gallon pot and just make a mini hoop house and use some shade cloth you'll be fine.

southstreets

southstreets

yea i just let natural selection take its course.. plant'em on site...

Latest posts

Top Bottom