Portable AC upgrade

• Thread starter ncga
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ncga

ncga

Well I while adding in the ducting for my air cooled lights I noticed , well was forced to remember just how much heat is radiated from the exhaust tubes of my 12K BTU portable AC unit. In the past I just had some insulation on the end neer the outlet. More to keep the hoses from leaking light at night. The insulation wrap that came with it did a very poor job.

I had ordered some of the extra insulated six inch ducting. It comes in three styles, the plain , insulated and wrapped. I decide to use the wrapped to cover the out put hoses. WOW no more heat leaking back into the room. THe AC unit hoses fited perfectly inside the 6 inch ducting.

After adding the insulation over both exhaust exhaust tubes, the unit works a lot better.

First photo shows stock pipe wrap

Second is after the 6 inch insulated ducting installed on a second unit. Make sure you use glove when working with this stuff. Also follow the directions on the package

nc

Portable ac upgrade
Portable ac upgrade 2
ncga

ncga

Hey Dude

Been wonder where you drifted off to. Looking forward to your posts here. When you can send me a pm

nc

R

RichieRich

Will do, Here is another post to help me get to 10 LOL

M

mets21

is the 12000btu ac unit an active air by hyrdofarm? Im considering getting one of those. ..

Dynamite

Dynamite

good info ! I have a portable just for back-up or added cooling if needed for my new room and haven't set it up yet..

how does that a/c work as far as keeping the smell contained in the grow room,does the exhaust pump out smell from the grow area ?

ncga

ncga

Met21

Yes it is an active air but I did some shopping a few years ago to get a good price on it.

As far as oder, I have a lot of carbon filtration going on in the room. So I have not noticed any more smell but the single hose unit does pull more air out of the room.

I have to say the cost of the portables is more than you think. I thought I could not afford a mini split but when you consider what the portables do and the electrical coast you really are spending more than you thought.

StewieG

The room is very poorly insulated non conditioned space 12 x 12. I hope to install the 12K mini split I got installed.

nc

stickyicky

stickyicky

good info ! I have a portable just for back-up or added cooling if needed for my new room and haven't set it up yet..

how does that a/c work as far as keeping the smell contained in the grow room,does the exhaust pump out smell from the grow area ?

I can answer the odor ?? Pumps it out badly!!

I'm running a 12,000 too. It stinks like a mofo! I have a Can 100 filter in the room too!

I'm gonna put another smaller filter in the addic space and exhaust into that. I think??

Any idea's anyone.

HustleTrees

HustleTrees

I just did this myself with my 10k BTU portable A/C and some insulated ducting from Home Depot. Best $27 I ever spent.

Way, way, way cooler temps in the area. Definitely reccomend this.

Thanks for sharing ncga!

-HT

B

Bobby Smith

Good thread, and I'm getting my 14K portable delivered in a few days for my new grow setup.

Question - has anyone attached a filter to the exhaust of the portable AC? I have a dual hose model on the way, and after reading that they exchange odor in the exhaust (didn't think they did when I bought it), I was wondering if I could just attach a filter to the exhaust that it would have to blow through, scrubbing the air before it gets dumped.

Was gonna hook up a little HD axial duct booster fan to assist it in pushing through the filter (or maybe a real inline fan if needed); so anyways, has anyone ever tried this, and if so, how'd it workout?

Can't have smell leaking out - security is the name of the game.

Top Bottom