Position of the germinated seed

• Thread starter Halebop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Halebop

Just germinated some seeds in towel but the tap roots have curved round and not pointing down from bottom of seed. If I plant the seed as normal I think the root will be pointing up. Is that OK?

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Just germinated some seeds in towel but the tap roots have curved round and not pointing down from bottom of seed. If I plant the seed as normal I think the root will be pointing up. Is that OK?
Watched this fellow and picked up on his technique.

Vertical zips with my towel inside.

Its like there in the ground, but don’t leave them too long of you may be planting with the towel too.

Enjoy and good luck with your germination.

Z

Zill

This is how plants “figure it out

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Here's a simple hack that requires nothing more than a bowl or container with a sidewall.

You can "train" them to travel down when they sprout by simply placing the wet paper towel on the sidewall of the container or bowl instead of on the bottom.

Z

Zill

Dear ganjdad,

Jeez I just can't understand you. Given your rather thin patina of understanding anything technical, plant phys or biochem I intentionally looked around the web for a dumbed down illustration that even you might understand. It was the -tropism word the sent you.

Sincerely,
Zill.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Man, lighten up. Or light up, get stoned. We all friends 'round here.
Dear ganjdad,

Jeez I just can't understand you. Given your rather thin patina of understanding anything technical, plant phys or biochem I intentionally looked around the web for a dumbed down illustration that even you might understand. It was the -tropism word the sent you.

Sincerely,
Zill.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Dear ganjdad,

Sincerely,
Zill.
You don’t have to understand me haha. It’s not that I don’t understand plant biology, it’s the fact that you came on this forum stating your new to growing cannabis but give out all these technical opinions like your this pro grower and it comes off bad. You can’t really preach everything you say bc you’ve never done it with cannabis before. You come off very pretentious and you’ve not earned the respect to act like your this pro grower with the answer to everything bc you haven’t grow cannabis enough to get it. You may be a lot smarter than me and that’s fine, you just rub me the wrong way and I think some other people think that too, Karen.
Like I said before people say things all the time, and like @NorthernOrganics said lighten up or light up and get stoned ✌🏼

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

The type of tropism important here is gravitropism. It directs shoots upward and roots downward, allowing each to reach their proper environments. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/gravitropism) I sprouted my current grow with the seeds in a paper towel and with the paper towel inside a zip-lock bag. I hung it vertically inside a dark closet. Here is a picture of how the seeds germinated. It's pretty clear they knew which way was down.

That said, the question was about how to plant the sprouts. I found that placing them with the tap root pointing downward (as well as possible) with the seed slightly below the surface of the soil. About 1/4 to 1/2 inches works well for me, but probably depends on the type of soil or growth medium.

Moshmen

Moshmen

The type of tropism important here is gravitropism. It directs shoots upward and roots downward, allowing each to reach their proper environments. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/gravitropism) I sprouted my current grow with the seeds in a paper towel and with the paper towel inside a zip-lock bag. I hung it vertically inside a dark closet. Here is a picture of how the seeds germinated. It's pretty clear they knew which way was down.

That said, the question was about how to plant the sprouts. I found that placing them with the tap root pointing downward (as well as possible) with the seed slightly below the surface of the soil. About 1/4 to 1/2 inches works well for me, but probably depends on the type of soil or growth medium.

View attachment 1304891
Thanx for sharing notice the curvature in your roots this is totally normal and helps the root lift the above ground portion as it leaves the earth - even nature uses leverage

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

View attachment 1304891
This is a perfect example of a technical answer but also telling the OP which way he should plant it. 👍🏼

Top Bottom