Possible Hermie 8 Weeks into flower

• Thread starter Archer1111
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Archer1111

Archer1111

Hey All.

This is my first post and I am new to the site. I think my 3 females have become "hermies" in the end of flower. The flowers are staring to grow these giant whitish clear pistils. My research tells me they are bananas. But I cant find out if this will stop the plant from making THC. This is also my first grow, and I am going to post as much relevant information as I can, but I am happy to answer any questions. I am growing "Jillybean" by Original Kush Seeds from Pacific Seed Bank. It's supposed to be a sativa leaning hybrid. The Plants are grown in Cocoa under a Mars TS 600. Additional lighting added during flower. I've topped the hell out of them. Their finished height is 12-14 inches and just as wide. Each plant has about 12 tops or so. I have been feeding them the General Hydroponics line up plus Bud Candy and Flower Fuel, added week 2 of flower. I flipped them to flower 1/24/2020. They're now 8 weeks into flower (3/23/2020).

During flower, I have struggled, and even somewhat failed to keep the temp in the 70's. I grow in the closet and the smell is so strong, my exhaust fan has to be full blast 24 hrs a day. Sucking the perfect temp creating heat out from the lights. The lights are close to the tops, so the tops of the plants are about 80 degrees. A few times in weeks 6/7, I had accidentally left the lights on an extra 3-5 hrs. Maybe 3x. If these have stressed the girls to the point where they have begun to hermie this late in flower, should I pull them and harvest? The trichomes are clear and just starting to change to cloudy i believe. Or should I let them go for the last 1-2 weeks and snip off the thick looking pistils off the buds when I harvest? My concern is the plants are no longer producing THC, and focusing on the bananas. If that's the case they can only get worse. And lower in quality. I really dont care about a few seeds, I am worried about the plants THC content now going down. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank You in Advance

Possible hermie 8 weeks into flower
Possible hermie 8 weeks into flower 2
Possible hermie 8 weeks into flower 3
Possible hermie 8 weeks into flower 4
Possible hermie 8 weeks into flower 5
Possible hermie 8 weeks into flower 6
Possible hermie 8 weeks into flower 7
Anthem

Anthem

Am I wrong in thinking these thick pistils are "nanners"? Or am I the victim of misinformation? Are they just thick pistils? I am including a closer shot and arrow.

To be honest, I did not see that in the first set of pics. You might have some hermie's but the good news would be that that late into flower you will have little seed production. Seeds take about 4 weeks to fully mature. If you are concerned and want to do the best you can, just cut them off and finish the plant.

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

I think you are so close to harvest that it shouldn’t matter. I don’t see any nanners, just fattening calyx and new pistils. I got them at the end of a grow and not a seed to be found, they can be sterile. Nice looking grow. 🤘🏼

Terpz719

Terpz719

Keep an eye on the trichomes if you're concerned about THC. As they turn amber there is a reduction of thc as it degrades.

"You can tell the cannabinoids are reaching full maturity when the trichome gland heads go opaque. This is why many growers suggest harvesting the crop when half the trichomes on their plants are opaque in order to get the highest level of THC with the lowest level of CBD cannabinoids (which counteract the euphoric effects of THC)."

https://honestinvalid.com/trichomes/

Archer1111

Archer1111

Thanks Guys,
and thanks for the compliments. Sadly the photos dont do the flowers justice. They are white, light purple, orange and a little green. I am pretty happy for my first grow.

As a new grower, I didnt know or think that the pistils can get that big, compared to the orange pistils.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Sometimes at the end of flowering, some strains will foxtail a little. To me, this looks like the very beginning of a foxtail as the tips of the buds get longer but not much wider, and sometimes I get a small greenish "horn" that grows out of the end. I think this is the road you are starting on. Keep an eye on the buds to see if they start looking funny at the ends. It doen't really hurt anything, but are not something that a lot of growers have seen.

Archer1111

Archer1111

Sometimes at the end of flowering, some strains will foxtail a little. To me, this looks like the very beginning of a foxtail as the tips of the buds get longer but not much wider, and sometimes I get a small greenish "horn" that grows out of the end. I think this is the road you are starting on. Keep an eye on the buds to see if they start looking funny at the ends. It doen't really hurt anything, but are not something that a lot of growers have seen.

yeah after some further research I think you’re right. I’m going to raise my lights and move the plants around so my two biggest buds are out of the direct light. They seem to be the ones fox tailing. I’ve heard the term, and always assumed it was leaf curling at the tips, because the leaves look like a tail. I read an article about fox failing that mentioned new pistil growth at the end of flowering, and judging by the big swollen bud, it looks like calyx on top of calyx. Thank you for spotting this.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
yeah after some further research I think you’re right. I’m going to raise my lights and move the plants around so my two biggest buds are out of the direct light. They seem to be the ones fox tailing. I’ve heard the term, and always assumed it was leaf curling at the tips, because the leaves look like a tail. I read an article about fox failing that mentioned new pistil growth at the end of flowering, and judging by the big swollen bud, it looks like calyx on top of calyx. Thank you for spotting this.
The more I look at your pictures, the more I think that this is the beginnings of foxtailing. It is simply a different way that the bud grows. The new growth stacks on top of each other, almost making little fingers or dome shaped buds that tend to spread out. When it goes on long enough, the bud looks sort of fluffy at the end, not larfy but not solid like it was originally growing. You usually get single lobe leaves as well, but none with multiple lobes. Foxtails remind me of the old Lamb's Breath buds that were Sativa. They aren't hard nuggs, but smokable and good nonetheless!

Archer1111

Archer1111

The more I look at your pictures, the more I think that this is the beginnings of foxtailing. It is simply a different way that the bud grows. The new growth stacks on top of each other, almost making little fingers or dome shaped buds that tend to spread out. When it goes on long enough, the bud looks sort of fluffy at the end, not larfy but not solid like it was originally growing. You usually get single lobe leaves as well, but none with multiple lobes. Foxtails remind me of the old Lamb's Breath buds that were Sativa. They aren't hard nuggs, but smokable and good nonetheless!

Yeah the more I read you're right. It's not BAD foxtailing, but it's starting none the less. It also looks like the bigger, fox tailed buds look like they have a lot less trichomes than the normal ones. The harvest isn't ruined by any means. But I am bummed after all my research and hard work getting into this, I have an "issue." Or lack of perfection that is.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Yeah the more I read you're right. It's not BAD foxtailing, but it's starting none the less. It also looks like the bigger, fox tailed buds look like they have a lot less trichomes than the normal ones. The harvest isn't ruined by any means. But I am bummed after all my research and hard work getting into this, I have an "issue." Or lack of perfection that is.
There are always issues, some minor some major, with every grow. Expect it, nothing can be perfect all the time, to be a good grower just learn to spot issues early & keep damage minimal

Latest posts

Top Bottom