Possible nutrient deficiency Mid Flower

• Thread starter Ktownorganic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Ktownorganic

those work fine,but i use them difrent,i put soil in a jar,check my layers for silt sand and clay,after i mark my jar at each level i then take a turkey baster and fill the viles with the settled water inside and do the test,the soil has to be dry to do the ph test,the others have to have fliud,so i take a mason jar quart size,i take several samples and take all the wood rocks and organic matter out,ending with about 2 inches of soil in jar,then i fill the jar to about 1 inch from top with ro water,lid it shake the hell out of it,set in on a level surface and with flash light i take a permanent marker and were the sand has settled i put a mark on jar,wait 1 hour and do the same and mark the silt line,leave 24 hours and then mark the clay line,this is 3 number broke down to precentage of each,with those numbers you go into the soil texture chart ,tells you what type soil your working with,i like sandy loam,the liquid is then used to do NPK test,about 2 hours before you take your liquid sample take a spoon and all that floating on top,get as much as you can out of jar,then let it settle again before testing

Awesome I'll try it this way now and see if the results are different. It makes sense the larger sample size and time to settle would give a more accurate measurement.

K

Ktownorganic

You're using RO water for testing? plus, make sure you sample dirt from the rootzone or closest to it.
Why not a straight forward slurry test?

No I don't have RO water just filtered water from a Brita that sat out for an hour. Slurry test is the same method oldskool describes a few posts up right? I've never tested soil. I just grabbed that one as it's all I could find at the store and seemed better than nothing.

Thanks for the help!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Awesome I'll try it this way now and see if the results are different. It makes sense the larger sample size and time to settle would give a more accurate measurement.
this guy explains it very well i dont have any thing that measure mm,so i get stuck doing math to figure out the precentages,shoot for the loam if your gonna add perlite or anything like that,if you choice to just use wood chips ,rocks or any thing along those lines shoot for sandy loam,it holds water a bit longer and triple digit weather it dont miss a lick, the more airy stuff you use the more you water

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

No I don't have RO water just filtered water from a Brita that sat out for an hour. Slurry test is the same method oldskool describes a few posts up right? I've never tested soil. I just grabbed that one as it's all I could find at the store and seemed better than nothing.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, same technique, just testing for Ph at the end.

Edit: Also test the ph of the water b4 and try sampling the soil from the rootzone. That way you know exactly whats going on

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks for the help!
does the job fine ,im fixing to foot the bill for the liquid test kit,i go threw those tablets quick,i test alot and always run out of ph pills before any others,my hands dont work so well at getting them tabs open liquid kit runs around 30 to 50 bucks ,i need it i test every thing,i dont like the idea of asking folk for help if i dont know what i have ,this way you do then ask what up you dig what im saying

K

Ktownorganic

Alright I got an air stone kit from Walmart for $15 that seems to work decent. Used a couple coffee filters and elastic bands to make teabags. Been brewing since 4pm yesterday.

The PH down I guessed that a cap full would take me half way from the nutrient solution at 7.9 to high 6s but after 5 min of settling it dropped me all the way down to 6.2-6.3. I'll use a half cap at a time next round. My meter is cheap so its probably +/- 0.2.

Went with 2tbsp liquid seaweed (0-0-5) , 1tblsp molasses (0-0-3) 1 tbsp kelp meal (1-0-3), 1 tbsp bone meal (4-10-0) a sprinkle of blood meal (20-0-0) and 1/4 tbsp of basalt rock dust for micronutrients. This is for 5 gal of tap water.

So roughly NPK 5 - 10- 16

My next feedings will only be liquid seaweed and bone meal at a weaker mix of roughly 2-5-10 which I'll probably feed once per week until last week of only PHd water

Probaly 3.5-4 weeks left on indica and 5-6 with sativa. Do I understand correctly that last week should be water only but keep watering at the same rate. I don't think flushing makes sense with organic so I shouldn't be watering once or twice every day like in hydro flush right?

IMG 20190922 122400
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Alright I got an air stone kit from Walmart for $15 that seems to work decent. Used a couple coffee filters and elastic bands to make teabags. Been brewing since 4pm yesterday.

The PH down I guessed that a cap full would take me half way from the nutrient solution at 7.9 to high 6s but after 5 min of settling it dropped me all the way down to 6.2-6.3. I'll use a half cap at a time next round. My meter is cheap so its probably +/- 0.2.

Went with 2tbsp liquid seaweed (0-0-5) , 1tblsp molasses (0-0-3) 1 tbsp kelp meal (1-0-3), 1 tbsp bone meal (4-10-0) a sprinkle of blood meal (20-0-0) and 1/4 tbsp of basalt rock dust for micronutrients. This is for 5 gal of tap water.

So roughly NPK 5 - 10- 16

My next feedings will only be liquid seaweed and bone meal at a weaker mix of roughly 2-5-10 which I'll probably feed once per week until last week of only PHd water

Probaly 3.5-4 weeks left on indica and 5-6 with sativa. Do I understand correctly that last week should be water only but keep watering at the same rate. I don't think flushing makes sense with organic so I shouldn't be watering once or twice every day like in hydro flush right?
thats getrdone there ,now for start you will have a concentrate with all that you amend,so dont over do it,the bone and blood is what im concerned about,me i would just top scratch that in about once a month,but you seem to have it wired right,you could ,i do ,is take one stone off and leave one on,get that stuff bubbling like a old witch and her brew minus all the smoke hahahah,also i cant tell but suspend your bag were all the action is directed right at it,i take a piece of pvc pipe tie the bag about half way down in water right in the middle,if you have any compost put about 1/4 cup that in the bag also,and let her go,put the bucket some were a mess doesnt matter,foam will go over the top

K

Ktownorganic

Just gave all 4 plants a drink. Noticed the plant showing a few purple leaves last weeks has now purple coming from the outside of new growth. Very consistent up high on all the main colas but lower down is still green.

We will call this plant sativa #1

Photo #1 - main cola top. All 16 tops look like this.

Photo #2 - Side view of cola. They are fattening up daily still despite these deficiencies.

Photo #3 - Fan leaf up high on plant. Maybe a dozen like this.

Photo #4 - Fan leaves lower on the plant are still green. Few old yellow ones are dying a normal rate.

I'll post photos of the other plants separately so its not confusing.

IMG 20190922 142309
IMG 20190922 144810
IMG 20190922 144427
IMG 20190922 144928
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

this is what i use now,it is a uplift ,i hang the bag on th
e bubbler and it sit inside a 33 gal thrash can,lifts all water from bottom and spills out right on my bag

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Just gave all 4 plants a drink. Noticed the plant showing a few purple leaves last weeks has now purple coming from the outside of new growth. Very consistent up high on all the main colas but lower down is still green.

We will call this plant sativa #1

Photo #1 - main cola top. All 16 tops look like this.

Photo #2 - Side view of cola. They are fattening up daily still despite these deficiencies.

Photo #3 - Fan leaf up high on plant. Maybe a dozen like this.

Photo #4 - Fan leaves lower on the plant are still green. Few old yellow ones are dying a normal rate.

I'll post photos of the other plants separately so its not confusing.
look great to me,dont be surprised if you come out in a hour or so and plants done grown shoulders hahahah,they love tea

Schnauzer

Schnauzer

Cool thanks for feedback I'll check for ground pests. Should I just spray safer insect soap on the ground to be safe? I have some leftover kelp meal (1-0-3), bone meal (4-10-0) and liquid seaweed (0-0-5) that I can use. Any suggestions on how much to add and top dress meals or let them soak in water overnight for a quicker dose?
My suggestion is to feed them w/something light. I use Down To Earth all purpose. There crab meal includes 1% of soluable nitrogen.... in my experience 1% of immediately available nitrogen is plenty to give flowering plants a boost

K

Ktownorganic

thats getrdone there ,now for start you will have a concentrate with all that you amend,so dont over do it,the bone and blood is what im concerned about,me i would just top scratch that in about once a month,but you seem to have it wired right,you could ,i do ,is take one stone off and leave one on,get that stuff bubbling like a old witch and her brew minus all the smoke hahahah,also i cant tell but suspend your bag were all the action is directed right at it,i take a piece of pvc pipe tie the bag about half way down in water right in the middle,if you have any compost put about 1/4 cup that in the bag also,and let her go,put the bucket some were a mess doesnt matter,foam will go over the top

I just let the bag sink to the bottom of the bucket haha. Made sure it wasn't right on top of the air stone. I don't have any compost but Ill scrounge what I can and at least suspend the bag next time. I'll also take this inside the garage and see if I can warm it up. It's 68f outside today and chills to get 50f at night.

K

Ktownorganic

Alright here is the violator strain. This plant was the easiest to train as you can see the main colas are in a circle on the outside. Lots of nice secondary colas from the LST. Hopefully these teas stop the yellowing as I hope theres 3+ weeks of fattening up left.

IMG 20190922 170242
IMG 20190922 142724
IMG 20190922 142309
K

Ktownorganic

Here is sativa #2

It should be the big yielder out of the sativa's. I over watered two and stunted them for weeks before I figured it out.

This and the violator were biggest throughout the whole grow and I topped them three times vs twice for the smaller ones.

Many tall colas forming nicely. I don't see any purple on this plant yet. I'm quite sure all sativa's are from the same mother but don't know the source directly.

IMG 20190922 142511
IMG 20190922 142619
IMG 20190921 083945
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Honestly a little yellowing in the last 3 weeks is normal, dont sweat it trying to correct things. You've got plenty of green on those things to get them to the end.

If anything a moderate dose of balanced nutrients in the 2-3-5 range. Or something with a little bit of nitrogen like Calcium nitrate.

Oh gosh

Oh gosh

Your plants look on point to me bro. I would resist the urge to adopt a different strategy at this point. Lots of good advice above but maintain your course with minimal corrections. Nice job.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

So your purpling may simply be from cool night time temps. The cool temps may also be the cause of the yellowing. You are in the downside of the grow and the plant would rather produce flowers rather than keeping leaves alive. The cool temps in the evening ma be slowing down the plants metabolism and decreasing uptake of fresh nutrients so they are using the stored nutrients within the plants. I think a dose of tea will go a long way to help you through this portion of the plants life and get you to the end with strong healthy plants.

K

Ktownorganic

Found another cricket today. Probably the 6th one I've spotted and killed this year. Picked a few leaves off that looked like prime hiding spots for more or worse caterpillars.

Anyone else get crickets? Its the only leaf chomper I've seen so far.

Screenshot 20190923 193658
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Phos lock. Acidifying your soil will help. Water ph lower and check with a soil slurry test and see what the soil ph is. And next go add more perlite to help with the loamy soil conditions

Top Bottom