Powdery Mildew 1 Week From Harvest. Ok To Harvest?

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the medical feedback.

The buds I "test smoked" which I knew had been close to powdery mildew will be cooked in to an oil, so that should take care of any remaining microbes.

jajabrinks

jajabrinks

I've seen powdery mildew so bad it completely covers the whole plant. This case doesn't look so harsh - take the real affected buds and cook with em like ur doing. If that alcohol worked well, that's great... just make sure you don't share any mildewy buds with people.... deff turn them off.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
PM can give you flu "like symptoms". My dad is a doctor and just had this conversation. At worst, PM will give a healthy person flu like symptoms, minus a fever. Should also only last as long as 12-24 hours after exposure. More of an allergic reaction than an immune system trigger.

If you have a weak immune system, any infiltration or weakening can be life threatening.

That's funny, so is my dad. He says the worst that you'll experience are allergic reactions. That said, for some people they could be quite severe.

What's your dad's specialty?

My father grew up pretty poor, couldn't afford to go to college without grants and scholarships. Got those to get through pre-med, then joined the Navy as a flight surgeon to finish up.

Sxxxy

Sxxxy

I just don't understand the mixtures you are all suggesting.

PLEASE TELL ME:
MILK: MIX _______ MILK WITH _______ WATER(TAP WATER, SPRING WATER, DISTILLED WATER? WHICH KIND OF WATER. ) I AM IN FULL FLOWER WITH A LITTLE PM ON THE BUD LEAVES.

ALCOHOL: MIX ________ (TYPE ALCOHOL, STRENGTH OF ALCOHOL WITH _________ WATER?

ALSO... DO YOU SPRAY THE BUDS ALL OVER OR SIMPY WIPE THE LEAVES INFECTED WITH THE PM WITH A CLOTH OF THESE MIXTURES.

I am out of time men... I need an answer today!!!

Thanks, Sxxxy~ x

lino

lino

PLEASE TELL ME:
MILK: MIX _______ MILK WITH _______ WATER(TAP WATER, SPRING WATER, DISTILLED WATER? WHICH KIND OF WATER. ) I AM IN FULL FLOWER WITH A LITTLE PM ON THE BUD LEAVES.

ALSO... DO YOU SPRAY THE BUDS ALL OVER OR SIMPY WIPE THE LEAVES INFECTED WITH THE PM WITH A CLOTH OF THESE MIXTURES.

Thanks, Sxxxy~ x

Mixture rates RATIO defined
1:1
one part chemical : one part water
50% mixture
1 gal chem : 1 gal water
1o ml chem : 10 ml water

1:10
One part chemical : 10 parts of water
10% mixture
1 oz chemicals : 10 oz water

DONT WIPE BUDS with a cloth.

TURN FANS OFF!

mist room BE VERY CAREFUL mist of many fluids can explode, (disinfect air),
Remove fan leave,,, I thought you said you're bout to harvest, REMOVE FAN LEAVE directly to a bag, dont allow spores to spread.

alcohol wash,,, I saw the Maid advise that a long time ago so I tried it. It has worked for me for many probs...

Unfortunaltely you're ready to harvest. Heres the deal with all the solvents mentioned, they all leave residues! wash your window with any of the solutions mentions to see what I'm talking about. Chemical grade very high 97% and up rubbing alc will leave very little residue, RO water only,,,, now if you have a way to disinfect H20 and alc, perox, sodium bicarbo (bake soda), lab grade stuff , you're putting unwanted residues on the plant,,, I;m talking finite here... So Ive seen the 'next suggestion' used in some univ experiments that helped at harvest time.... One prob,,, it was blueberries and melons that this worked on,,. Not cannabis.
The ol barber shop black lite he put his clipper and trimmer in, you should be to...
Heavy doses of UVC - it appear to remove it w/o a wash, and UVC kill other bad stuff,, UVC not good for high doses on our skin, I m skeptical to what noxiousity level to cannabis plants.. and these blueberries and melons plants had a hard shell fruit so I'm not sure about UVC on bud,, but heard it works, just a thought,,,,
Ultra Violet C light.

Sun Valley

Sun Valley

I was planning to harvest my outdoor within the next week, and after a spat of rainstorms and cool weather, just noticed a powdery mildew outbreak. From what I can tell, it's not on the buds really, and is not widespread yet. Mostly lower leaves. I've fixed some environmental conditions that were raising humidity (mulch underneath plants, insulating blanket at night that was getting wet from rain), but I wanted to know if this is dangerous to harvest/dry now.

I'm taking measures to knock back the PM. Aside from fixing environmental conditions, I sprayed them down with an herbal concoction last night to kill PM. I plan to do a 10% milk spray this weekend too.

My question is: is this a potential loss? Is it dangerous to dry/cure/smoke bids that recently had PM? I'm hoping that I can knock it back over next few days to the point that's it's not really visible, but still worries me. I'm 100% organic and will only use natural products on the plants. Thanks!
Always a shit one to discover.. hope you came out ok. When the humidity climbs up here I have to remember to keep the ground or pots nice and moist. I caught some on one of my girls about 2 weeks into flower and now I'm doing the whole garden with a once over

lino

lino

Re-think;
I have to correct my last post, that was not sound advice. That was Farmer advice, but not the correct advice. I just went thru this prob with a cpl of my current students. They're on this site and cpl are demoing new grows and I'd be going against what I instructed to both of them. both students did not destroy and decides to fight the mildew, but they were in Veg and it wasnt on the crop . It was spec of PM spot on a dispense clone . Both student growers were not running fans and caught the outbreak within minutes of the PM breakout. I advised to destroy the crop! Both growers have decided to remove mildew leaves and quarantined. disinfected rm... This went against my 1st choice for advice which was to destroy plant and (crop if any more PM break out happened again )..... Students was like Hell NO! went in thier gro rms and NUKED the rm and plants hard BUT THAT WAS IN VEG ! read bottom.

DESTROY!

If you know other growers they will avoid you like Ebola. You're packN spores- on you, your nose hairs, fingernails, pets and your bag of bud,,,, well lets put it this way,,, Anthrax - your grinder and utensils will have Anthrax. Your next grow,,, this how it goes ,, seen 100 time,,, PM users get high with Athrax bud and utensils and then go work in grow room of the next crop. Ive read conflicts on spore shelf life ,,, so its something to think about.

9 out of 10 growers will spray baking soda, rinse plant harvest morning dry and chop.

Last edited:
Perception

Perception

@Sxxxy
I used a hydrogen peroxide/water mix late in flower (just before harvest), and I DID spray the buds. I live in a very dry climate though, so things evaporate quickly. I've heard that soaking buds "can" cause bud rot in some instances. Spraying late in flower did knock back the powdery mildew for me, but it doesn't seem to eradicate it. Just knocks it back temporarily, so you'll need to keep spraying every few days till harvest. I think I bought a bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide and mixed it about 50/50 with water. I bubble my water for 24 hours to remove chlorine, but that's because I have living soil. I imagine any water is fine.

If I understand correctly (double check this with google), hydrogen peroxide quickly breaks down and turns in to water and oxygen once it starts to evaporate. If sprayed, I think this happens within a couple hours. So no residue, no chemicals left over. If I was you, I would also do a hydrogen peroxide/water dunk and rinse after chopping/harvesting the plants too, then hang to dry. I use an extra fan on the plants for the first 12 hours while hanging when I do this dunking technique (to make sure they don't stay soaking wet too long) This dunk water uses a much lower concentration of hydrogen peroxide though. Look up Jorge Cervantes's method for doing it (google his name + powdery mildew and look for videos ). I think he uses 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 5 gallons water.

Most people told me to trash my plants, and I think this is good advice. I didn't follow it though. I went through the steps I just posted, and harvested. Now, this was personal use product so I was willing to risk myself. I probably wouldn't have harvested if it was product for sale. But it seemed to work out fine for me, and I've been smoking it for months now.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
For prevention you may also find good use from aspirin water foliar applications. I use 1 tablet per 2 gallons water + something to act as a sticker spreader (I'll use anything from Dr Bronner's to JMS Stylets oil, depending on how bad things are, whether or not anything else is going on, etc.).

PLEASE TELL ME:

Thanks, Sxxxy~ x
We're talking ratios. 1:1 is equal parts. 10% is 1 part out of 10, so 9 would be water and 1 would be milk. I spray, others will wipe, I'm lazy, others take great pleasure it that level of plant care. So if we're keeping it to percentages or parts, it doesn't matter what unit you start with, be it cups, volumetric ounces, whatever. :)

I will say the thought of wiping this stuff onto the leaves never occurred to me before. Probably because I'm taking a lot of my information from agriculture-focused publications and trade magazines.

lino

lino

@Sxxxy
I used a hydrogen peroxide/water mix late in flower (just before harvest), and I DID spray the buds. I live in a very dry climate though, so things evaporate quickly. I've heard that soaking buds "can" cause bud rot in some instances. Spraying late in flower did knock back the powdery mildew for me, but it doesn't seem to eradicate it. Just knocks it back temporarily, so you'll need to keep spraying every few days till harvest. I think I bought a bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide and mixed it about 50/50 with water. I bubble my water for 24 hours to remove chlorine, but that's because I have living soil. I imagine any water is fine.

If I understand correctly (double check this with google), hydrogen peroxide quickly breaks down and turns in to water and oxygen once it starts to evaporate. If sprayed, I think this happens within a couple hours. So no residue, no chemicals left over. If I was you, I would also do a hydrogen peroxide/water dunk and rinse after chopping/harvesting the plants too, then hang to dry. I use an extra fan on the plants for the first 12 hours while hanging when I do this dunking technique (to make sure they don't stay soaking wet too long) This dunk water uses a much lower concentration of hydrogen peroxide though. Look up Jorge Cervantes's method for doing it (google his name + powdery mildew and look for videos ). I think he uses 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 5 gallons water.

Most people told me to trash my plants, and I think this is good advice. I didn't follow it though. I went through the steps I just posted, and harvested. Now, this was personal use product so I was willing to risk myself. I probably wouldn't have harvested if it was product for sale. But it seemed to work out fine for me, and I've been smoking it for months now.
simple test, wash glass/pour/ laying flat with the solvent used to clean plants. scrape w/razor window after it dries,,,, Thats what you'll be smokeN...

Sxxxy

Sxxxy

For prevention you may also find good use from aspirin water foliar applications. I use 1 tablet per 2 gallons water + something to act as a sticker spreader (I'll use anything from Dr Bronner's to JMS Stylets oil, depending on how bad things are, whether or not anything else is going on, etc.).

We're talking ratios. 1:1 is equal parts. 10% is 1 part out of 10, so 9 would be water and 1 would be milk. I spray, others will wipe, I'm lazy, others take great pleasure it that level of plant care. So if we're keeping it to percentages or parts, it doesn't matter what unit you start with, be it cups, volumetric ounces, whatever. :)

I will say the thought of wiping this stuff onto the leaves never occurred to me before. Probably because I'm taking a lot of my information from agriculture-focused publications and trade magazines.

Sxxxy replied:
I used organic coconut oil and warmed it up to go liquid... and them painted it onto the affected leaves with one of my artist brushes.
I did not dilute it I used it exactly as it came from the islands... it is anti microbial, and antibiotic. Let's see what happens.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This thread is really informative. Great stuff everyone! Thanks for posting all this.

C

Cheifgreen

20170208 155549

mandalaman

mandalaman

Sxxxy replied:
I used organic coconut oil and warmed it up to go liquid... and them painted it onto the affected leaves with one of my artist brushes.
I did not dilute it I used it exactly as it came from the islands... it is anti microbial, and antibiotic. Let's see what happens.
Well shit, i use coconut oil for everything. I'm curious how this turns out.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Me too.
My favorite smoke seems to have no PM resistance.
Any feedback on the coconut oil?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
w
Dont use milk or anything else like that. Hydrogen peroxide if needed. Too late for anything else. Doesn't look too bad right now, but it multiplies quickly. I would harvest if it continues to get worse personally.
why do you say dont use milk ? ive used milk for years to help compat PM right up to harcest time with no problem i used it the other day on a small pm outbreak i had and now no PM on my plants to be seen id rather use organic methods then any other spray that you can buy who the fuck knows what that shit will do to your plant anyway good luck its not a bad pm problem yet .

Perception

Perception

w

why do you say dont use milk ? ive used milk for years to help compat PM right up to harcest time with no problem i used it the other day on a small pm outbreak i had and now no PM on my plants to be seen id rather use organic methods then any other spray that you can buy who the fuck knows what that shit will do to your plant anyway good luck its not a bad pm problem yet .

So you used Milk ON an outbreak and it eradicated the PM? I've used the milk spray successfully as a preventative, but didn't realize it worked as a treatment as well.

Top Bottom