Powdery Mildew in Late Flower

• Thread starter Juicejk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Juicejk

Juicejk

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to ask for some advice on white powdery mildew. I am in week 8 of flower right now and this morning I noticed powdery mildew on about a dozen leaves of my pineapple kush that was supposed to be an 8 week strain but it looks like it needs 9 weeks to finish. I have a few other 10 week strains in there so they have a couple more weeks left to finish out. I removed all of the infected leaves that I could find before work. I only found it on 2 of the plants out of 5. Should I spray milk and water? Or I’ve seen a few other recipes like water, soap, baking powder and veggie oil. I am going to see if I can find anything from lowes. I’m just worried about spraying my plants with chemicals when I am so close to harvest. What would you guys do? I dropped my dehumidifier down to 30% setting now but the RH was staying around 50% in there. I have several fans in there but I think the main problem was that the canopy in there is so dense because I put too many plantsand there were spots that weren’t getting as much airflow. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Micronized sulfur and epsom salts diluted in water.

3g sulfur
1g epsom salts
1000g water, mix in a blender and pour into a spray bottle. Fine mist right at lights out, covering the tops of all of the leaves, the bottoms, and the stems of the plants.

Juicejk

Juicejk

3g sulfur
1g epsom salts
1000g water, mix in a blender and pour into a spray bottle. Fine mist right at lights out, covering the tops of all of the leaves, the bottoms, and the stems of the plants.
Awesome thank you! I am going to see if I can find the micronized sulphur at Lowe’s today and I have Epsom. I will do this tonight at lights out

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

3g sulfur
1g epsom salts
That late in flower I wouldn't use anything except one level tablespoon of baking soda to 1 gallon of water

and when you harvest you'll wanna bud wash in baking soda anyway so it comes right off and there's no residue left

search 'Cervantes Bud washing' on YouTube and he'll show you how to rinse off the PM via bud washing, it's very easy good luck

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

That late in flower I wouldn't use anything except one level tablespoon of baking soda to 1 gallon of water

and when you harvest you'll wanna bud wash in baking soda anyway so it comes right off and there's no residue left

search 'Cervantes Bud washing' on YouTube and he'll show you how to rinse off the PM via bud washing, it's very easy good luck

TBH I've used that mix with no discernible ill effects essentially up until chop, the sulfur and the mg get absorbed the the stomata and actually work as a foliar as well. Maybe there's something I'm missing but the only effect that I've seen is more flavorful buds with no pm. Definitely agree on the bud rinse though.

Also, the baking soda formula was far, far less effective for me this winter.

Dan789

Dan789

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to ask for some advice on white powdery mildew. I am in week 8 of flower right now and this morning I noticed powdery mildew on about a dozen leaves of my pineapple kush that was supposed to be an 8 week strain but it looks like it needs 9 weeks to finish. I have a few other 10 week strains in there so they have a couple more weeks left to finish out. I removed all of the infected leaves that I could find before work. I only found it on 2 of the plants out of 5. Should I spray milk and water? Or I’ve seen a few other recipes like water, soap, baking powder and veggie oil. I am going to see if I can find anything from lowes. I’m just worried about spraying my plants with chemicals when I am so close to harvest. What would you guys do? I dropped my dehumidifier down to 30% setting now but the RH was staying around 50% in there. I have several fans in there but I think the main problem was that the canopy in there is so dense because I put too many plantsand there were spots that weren’t getting as much airflow. Any help would be greatly appreciated
I think it would also be in order to review your set up and exhausting methods/ volumes, along with providing more air circulation so you can avoid this again...

Juicejk

Juicejk

I think it would also be in order to review your set up and exhausting methods/ volumes, along with providing more air circulation so you can avoid this again...
Yes I am definitely in the process of changing things up. My environment has been in a pretty good range most of the time but I need to improve my exhaust system. Also I made some mistakes when it comes to the way I had my fans set up and overfilled my tent as well. I will definitely be taking some steps to improve my conditions and get more airflow going

Juicejk

Juicejk

Thank you. I might try the baking soda and water to be extra safe but I really hope it helps to keep it from spreading too much. I am going to check out the bud rinsing. This is my first grow so I’m still dialing in my environment and feedings and trying to improve

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thank you. I might try the baking soda and water to be extra safe but I really hope it helps to keep it from spreading too much. I am going to check out the bud rinsing. This is my first grow so I’m still dialing in my environment and feedings and trying to improve
Baking soda raises the pH which stops it from spreading make sure you spray top and bottom of the leaves and spray them well add a few drops of dish soap to the mixture

but you'll need to wash it off and that video is specifically about washing off p.m. and it's from my mentor Jorge Cervantes

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Baking soda raises the pH which stops it from spreading make sure you spray top and bottom of the leaves and spray them well add a few drops of dish soap to the mixture

but you'll need to wash it off and that video is specifically about washing off p.m. and it's from my mentor Jorge Cervantes

I have done the Jorge Cervantes bud-rinsing (with hydrogen peroxide in water) with my outdoor -very much hobby scale grows where I seemingly always have to fight either PM or bud-rot. There seems to be no escaping one or the other up here in the northeast.
I have tried most non-toxic/organic measures and a lot of them do keep it from spreading but that's it. What is there will not go away. It does feel like a good idea to "kill" anything that is left at harvest with the rinse. Plus, there is always a lot of other things (pine needles, dirt, bugs, ect) that comes off with outdoor weed. It also rinses off whatever residue from these treatments might be on it. As long as the rinse water isn't too cold, it won't wash off much trichomes that I have noticed.
PM sucks.

mancorn

mancorn

You can use the 3% hydrogen peroxide straight out of the bottle now, no need to wait until harvest. It will not eradicate the PM, but will knock it down. Do it before lights on, so the plant dries as quickly as possible. (The H2O2 is so benign that it's almost as bad having the buds wet with it, then doing nothing.)

Do not use any oils on your bud!

Going forward I recommmend Actinovate, Mono- and di-potassium salts of Phosphorus Acid (Plant Doctor), and liquid copper (Bonide). All organic and effective. The first two can be used as a soil drench as a preventative.

Top Bottom