powdery mildew

• Thread starter legal_med_grow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

legal_med_grow

Hello,
I just got my account yesterday, I am a new grower but have done research for the past 8 months, in depth research. I was hoping someone can help me a little,
I have 6 plants, all in 7 gallon pots, ffof soil with perlite, ewc, etc. there all 2 weeks into flowering, clones.
I have two 600 watt lights, inline fan for exhaust, 3 oscillating fans, and a HEPA air filter. I just noticed some powdery mildew on a couple leaves, I talked to a couple of friends of mine that are experienced growers, but what they told me does not support the information I found online, so here is my question:
I was told to control powdery mildew with higher temps (80ish), and higher humidity(60ish), and spray 10% whole milk with water for foliar spray.
What I read was lower humidity is better to get rid of mildew, around 40ish.
I was going to foliar spray at night when lights turn off, for about a week, and keep my daytime temps 80, and instead of 65 at night, keep it around 72. I was wondering if this sounds good or do you have another option?
Thanks you,
and feel free to post this elsewhere if it could be useful to someone else.

M

MTM

PM is not supposed to grow under 40% humidity bro,I caught this shit 2 years ago and my only solution is a sulfer burner and systemic spay on my fresh cuts.You have spores all over your room.First you need to fix what caused the pm,were you growing with cuts from someone or from seed?High humidity in flower makes no sense bro.

waayne

waayne

legal_med_grow you're in for a battle as PM is tough to deal with once your plants and rooms are infected and contaminated with spores.

I would do a sulfur burn ASAP
you might pick up some sulfur based spay along with some GreenCure,Stylet Oil, and Actinovate
I would start a IPM program immediately.

Check the threads in the Cannabis infirmary for more info.

Most strains of PM don't like higher temps but some do
just fine with temps in the 80's, also PM can thrive in dry environments as well as in humid ones.

After harvest your room will need to be cleaned and sterilized or you will just start the whole PM cycle over again.

good luck!

M

MTM

The reason alot of growers get pm this time of year is a drastic change in daytime and nightime temps,somewhere around 15 degres will give it to you.My first time with pm was where I tried to purple some shit up a little and my nightime cold temps were just a little too much.The milk shit dont work unless your real close to the end of flower...Sulfer burner if you live where you can burn one.

L

legal_med_grow

Thanks MTM,
I thought humidity should be lowered, I got some clones from a friend, and his seem to be doing fine. I will keep humidity low, it stays around 35% without a humidifier, I figured I would be using a dehumidifier by now but it is very cold and very dry outside where im at. So my crop is still fine if I get it taken care of? its just on a couple leaves of 2 of the plants, the others seem fine. I pruned a lot today to get better air flow also.

L

legal_med_grow

waanye and MTM,
Thank you, appreciate the quick post. I will try the sulphur burn and let you know how that works out.

P

paperplane

Most PM issue's are caused by not enough air movement, and not exchanging the air enough. What type of intake and exhaust do you have?

I would take off all the infected leaves and maybe spray with some Green Cure. I have no expierence with Sulfur Burners. I had PM issue's in the past until I fixed my intake and exhaust and I have never ever seen pm since then.

L

legal_med_grow

thanks everyone,
The inline fan is 8", 600cfm, but its on a speed controller that is only running half power, I will turn on 100%. Also, my 3 fans are on low ill turn them on high. My plants were a little bunched together, which I seperated them more, and I pruned a lot so more air flow can go through. This being my first grow, I planned on a lot of problems, glad you guys are here to help, much appreciated.

P

paperplane

What about exhaust? You want to be able to remove all the stale air in the room and replace it with fresh new air.

L

legal_med_grow

Sorry, should have explained that better. My 8" inline fan is hooked up to my lights, there air cooled, 8" ducting, etc. That air is taken from the room and blown outside, (live by no one, so smell is not an issue at all. and im legal) I have a passive intake that goes in from another room in the house, 4x4 is the intake hole.

F

Ffejj

Sulfur burner how long

I also ave a powder mildew issue. Bought a sulfur burner but came with no instructions.can someone tell me how to use.do u put the tin cup right on the burner or off a little.also for how long do I run it for. Help please

L

legal_med_grow

got this from generic growier.

Talked to a friend tonight who has been doing this a lot longer than me and who has been doing the sulfur thing for a while too. He says:

Hang about 2 feet above plants, fill cup halfway with sulfur, put cup adjuster on the furthest setting from the heating element. Word is this way the sulfur melts and vaporizes nicely without burning. Start about halfway through the dark cycle and let go for about 4 hours.

He says he does it as late as the 5th week of flowering with no ill effects to taste and says you can do it as late as the 7th if need be. I can personally say I have never tasted anything funny in his product, and I have sampled much of it.

Also, about the plants needing to be wet or have dew, this friend says that is not true. No need to spray down before hand or anything.

I am setup to try it out myself tomorrow while the girls sleep, will report back with any new thoughts after that.

mango420

mango420

Not sure where your growing in, but most likely a house? I would suggest using defender by safers, its a sulphur spray you can buy at almost any garden store or homedepot. If you burn sulphur in a room in your house and its not 100% airtight from the rest of the house, which is almost impossible, it will get everywhere in your house and is not good to breath in and smells like rotting eggs. Ive delt with pm over many years and safers spray is the fastest and cleanest way to knock it down right away. Ive used sulphur burners as well, they do work but are more for preventative.

Instructions on using a burner properly:
1 Fill cup at the most half way full
2 Set cup on lowest setting, or closest to the element
3 Turn off all in and out fans
4 Turn off air moving fans.. in larger rooms with big plants you should leave fans on but on lowest setting.
5 Turn off any ac's or dehumidifiers.
6 Turn off any c02 equipt or anything with a pilot light or open flame, as you can blow your house up if a flame or spark happens when the sulphur is in the air.
7 Make sure you have your exhaust fan on a timer as well as burner so when burner shuts off your exhaust comes on for at least an hour before lights on.
8 Never enter your room when sulphur is buring or has been burning without exhausting for at least an hour or you will get very sick!!!

L

legal_med_grow

never heard of that spray mango, thanks. also, do you call yourself mango because if you eat a mango, then smoke it gets you higher? because it activates terpenes or something like that? or just because mangoes are delicious? also, a friend of mine does 10% milk to water, and he said that works great, I am going to try this next time since its a lot easier to deal with.
legal_med_grow

mango420

mango420

hahaha never heard of mangoes getting u higher..names mango cause one of the first strains I grew was kc brains mango! sick strain!! anyway defender is available at hydro shops, homedepot, garden centers..pretty much anywhere that has a garden section. I have tried the milk solution as well and just doesnt kill the spores quick enough..but best of luck!

C.Dawg2020

C.Dawg2020

Not sure where your growing in, but most likely a house? I would suggest using defender by safers, its a sulphur spray you can buy at almost any garden store or homedepot. If you burn sulphur in a room in your house and its not 100% airtight from the rest of the house, which is almost impossible, it will get everywhere in your house and is not good to breath in and smells like rotting eggs. Ive delt with pm over many years and safers spray is the fastest and cleanest way to knock it down right away. Ive used sulphur burners as well, they do work but are more for preventative.

Instructions on using a burner properly:
1 Fill cup at the most half way full
2 Set cup on lowest setting, or closest to the element
3 Turn off all in and out fans
4 Turn off air moving fans.. in larger rooms with big plants you should leave fans on but on lowest setting.
5 Turn off any ac's or dehumidifiers.
6 Turn off any c02 equipt or anything with a pilot light or open flame, as you can blow your house up if a flame or spark happens when the sulphur is in the air.
7 Make sure you have your exhaust fan on a timer as well as burner so when burner shuts off your exhaust comes on for at least an hour before lights on.
8 Never enter your room when sulphur is buring or has been burning without exhausting for at least an hour or you will get very sick!!!

hi, I’m new to this and I’ve tried to use the defender. Im 4-6 weeks away from harvest and noticed minor mold. I’m sprayed the complete plant and tried to avoid the bud. Now I’ve notice the plant completely smells like the defender spray. Will it go away. What was your experience and what did you do?

Top Bottom