Power outage- what to do?

• Thread starter 420Andrew
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Andrew

420Andrew

Found out i'll be without power next monday for an unknown period of time. I'm growing indoors and my autoflower plants are attached to a trellis net; hence immovable- has anyone had a similar experience? What could I use as a temporary light source? Would attaching the lights to a car battery be a viable option?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Found out i'll be without power next monday for an unknown period of time. I'm growing indoors and my autoflower plants are attached to a trellis net; hence immovable- has anyone had a similar experience? What could I use as a temporary light source? Would attaching the lights to a car battery be a viable option?
Car battery? 🤔 We lose power all the time here on the coast from nor'easters, I just keep the same schedule when the power comes back on is all I do

420Andrew

420Andrew

aight was just curious since they've been getting 24/0 since sprouting

Seraphine

Seraphine

They’d be better on 16/8. 24/0 is really only good for rooting cuttings.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

I always do 24/0 in vege due to temp issues and compared to my friends growing the same strain my plants grow faster, its really a matter of is paying for the 6 hours extra lighting giving me added benefit and theres no way you could run your whole grow off car batterys unless you had heaps and even then you would only have power for a short period of time.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I always do 24/0 in vege due to temp issues and compared to my friends growing the same strain my plants grow faster, its really a matter of is paying for the 6 hours extra lighting giving me added benefit and theres no way you could run your whole grow off car batterys unless you had heaps and even then you would only have power for a short period of time.

Also requires more nutes and water and our time. But i think its a personal opinion or choice. Plusses and minuses to everything. I had less issues in flower when I was a newer grower when i switched from 24 hrs to 18/6. Seemed the mag deficiency during transition in potting soil went away.

Although that likely means I was not keeping up in 24 hr veg and had the deficiency started.

Either way. The breeder of the seeds I was growing suggested giving the plants a “rest”. He thought 24 hrs stressed his plants.

420Andrew

420Andrew

would like to try 16/8 but could switching from 24/0 to 16/8 at 5 weeks bring any unintended consequences? 🤔

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I use 16/8, it's ok to switch
Oh sorry I see you're growing autoflowers friend, I wouldn't switch to 16/8, use 20/4 or 18/6 at the very least, but I've heard 20/4 is optimal like needs help guy mentioned above?

The few Autoflower freebies I've grown by necessity were under 12/12 and they produced fine I had no issues with them at all but again I've heard 20/4 is the best cycle for autos, hope this helps!

420Andrew

420Andrew

Oh sorry I see you're growing autoflowers friend, I wouldn't switch to 16/8, use 20/4 or 18/6 at the very least, but I've heard 20/4 is optimal like needs help guy mentioned above?

The few Autoflower freebies I've grown by necessity were under 12/12 and they produced fine I had no issues with them at all but again I've heard 20/4 is the best cycle for autos, hope this helps!
Thanks for the info! I'll change the light cycle soon.

bunkerking

bunkerking

ive gone 3-4 days 0 lights without issues (autos). Just of course dont rec it.

M

MoGroMo

Thanks for the info! I'll change the light cycle soon.
I heard the less than 24 before and tried it on the same auto/fem/white widow and got less yield, might be different with different strain/breeder but mine did best @24.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

He is my take on it.

1. During the Calvin cycle plants release more starches and food for the microbes in the soil.
2. Under high lighting as plants start to get toward light saturation 24 hr light could cause a plant to change into photorespiration instead of photosynthesis. A plant has both a maximum photosynthetic rate and a saturation point both of which will lead to photorespiration. Under lower intensity 24/0 light should not cause an issue but under very high light conditions it can cause stress and photo respiration.

I personally feel it's beneficial to run some duration of dark cycle be it 1 hr or 6hrs. For the reasons I explained above some run something like a 6/2. Since studies show the most efficient photosynthetic rates happen in the first few hrs of light.

So it really depends on light intensity

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Top Bottom