Power outage?

• Thread starter bakin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bakin

so this just hit me like a sack of bricks...what in all unholy hell do you do if the power goes out??????? :confused0054:

D

dj_destroyer

Water manually...

The screwed up light cycle will send the plants into shock but they should be alright if the power comes on within the next 24-48 hours.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

you hydro aero soil?
stuff can go south real quick in certain systems

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
so this just hit me like a sack of bricks...what in all unholy hell do you do if the power goes out??????? :confused0054:
Fire up the generator (AFTER disconnecting the main service!). Gotta be prepared for this stuff, have one that's got the capacity to run the house.

ThinAir

ThinAir

Currently dealing with this problem due to an ice storm. Temp in room is down to 55 and rh is up to 80. Not really sure what to do, 7 wks into flowering and not expected to have power again until wednesday night at 11:30.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Buy a generator. That's my best advice. We have a 6500KW unit that powers the entire house and my grow. Only thing we can't do when it's in use is dry clothes in the dryer, because we use that outlet to plug the generator into.

Somewhere, anywhere, get thee a generator.

Illmind

Illmind

if u caught slippin hard just hope its daytime out and toss em somewhere they can get natural light no matter how weak. preferably a big room with skylight. everyone else covered the rest

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
If the power goes out you should just turn off your lights so they can't come back on and if the power comes on just keep them off until it has been 12 hours or even 24 hours to get to the time they normally come on the next day. Just so that time is at least 12 hours. It will just be one long night and the plants won't know anything except to keep flowering.

If you could give them natural light that would be ok if it went on for days. But if they have been dark for an hour or so it is better to keep them dark.

M

MMJInsiders

For smaller hydro set-ups, a UPS works well for pumps but a generator for lights is the only way to go. Hand watering works well to. If using timers that don't have non-volatile memory, do as Tabor says to keep from interrupting your light cycle. I have gone 4 days on limited natural light before with no long term ill effects. If it's cold, a kerosene heater or similar. Battery powered camping fans can help too if additional air movement is needed....

hiboy

hiboy

A generator for the whole house will cost you a lot of money. You could get a small portable and plug in your lights manually. Check for the 120v and 240v output if needed. Watts add up real quick with large lamp. Obviously have the generator outside and run some cords, 12 guage recommended, 14 guage minimum.
hiboy

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
$300 on Craigslist for our generator. I think my girls are worth it, I *know* my grow is worth it.

hiboy

hiboy

$300 on Craigslist for our generator. I think my girls are worth it, I *know* my grow is worth it.

Yep $ 300. is definitely worth your girls but does this generator come with 240v applications, and how many amps. Hell ive seen generators new for this much but its not gona do much. And then theres the thoughts of how to hook it up. Do you do it right with a transfer switch and small panel or just drag your cords down teh hall to your room. Lots to think about with a generator. I've installed many and its very expensive to do it right, really depends on your wallet, or purse
hiboy

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
6500W rated and 8125W max. It runs our entire house and my little grow (flowering room uses 1200W of light). We just used it about a week ago due to a power outage when a winter storm hit. The only thing I can't use when we're on generator power is our dryer because we use the dryer plug for the generator (after switching power off at the main, of course). It's a rolling generator, we don't have it set up in any permanent place or with any permanence, we just cut the switch at the breaker, plug the generator into the dryer outlet and let it go.

Biggest problem with this generator is it's a pull start, and being a woman who seriously lacks upper body strength I can NOT get that thing started. Believe you me, I've tried.

A few weeks ago we were at Costco and they had a propane unit WITH the inverter on sale for $2K, even had a thick plastic pad to put the generator, etcetera, on. I think it was an 8KW unit, but I honestly can't remember.

hiboy

hiboy

That would power a small growroom. Not mine. By the time you add ac and lights. Ur pushing it. And then the install is another issue. Correct installation that is.

ThinAir

ThinAir

Luckily the power came back on today. Ladies were in the dark for just a tad over 24 hours.

I had just returned from home depot with some damp-rid to lower the humidity and all of a sudden my blower, carbon scrubbers, and heater came to life. Everything looks fine as far as I can see but I will definitely be investing in at least a 6kw generator when finances permit.

-Thin

S

smokestack23

Buy a generator. That's my best advice. We have a 6500KW unit that powers the entire house and my grow. Only thing we can't do when it's in use is dry clothes in the dryer, because we use that outlet to plug the generator into.

Somewhere, anywhere, get thee a generator.

Glad you corrected that in a later post. a 6500KW (that's 6,500,000 watts!). When I saw that you said you got it for 300 bucks I almost pooped my pants. Frick...I woulda offered you double that for it lol.

ANYHOOTERS...glad the power came back on.

Everyone should have a backup gen..even a small one that would power CFLs or even LEDs..and pumps and a fan. Not just have the gen ready but even have the CFLs wired-up standing-by.
As was said..if it's only gonna be around 24 hours..as long as it stays dark in there they'd be fine (unless vegging maybe..and if you're flowering, you're probably vegging too ....in another room).

If it's gonna be longer without service, the cfls would at least keep the cycles going and everyone alive.

YMMV, IMHO, FWIW, AFAIK...blah blah.

hiboy

hiboy

Luckily the power came back on today. Ladies were in the dark for just a tad over 24 hours.

I had just returned from home depot with some damp-rid to lower the humidity and all of a sudden my blower, carbon scrubbers, and heater came to life. Everything looks fine as far as I can see but I will definitely be investing in at least a 6kw generator when finances permit.

-Thin

Probably the easiest for you to do would be to acquire a generator like Seamaiden found, and just do the cord thing. Get the minimum goin to sustain you until power returns. Check for 240v output on it, and you can fabricate a cord to power up what you need to. Infact some generators (wheel around) have 240v and 120v outputs which would do you well
hiboy

S

smokestack23

Hey WAITASECOND...I thought you Americans run 110 and 220??? Or is that just old school?

In Canada we're on 120/240 and I THOUGHT US was 110/220. I was only under that impression from dealing with tube guitar amplifiers from back in the day.

Either way...most of us refer to 240 as 220 up here. 220V just seems to roll of the tongue much better. UK is 220 or 240?

hiboy

hiboy

Dont know about uk .
Yeah 220v or 240v its all good lol
two hots , double pole, ladee dah doobie dew

Great idea about back up lights as fluorescents. Get light less power

Top Bottom