Praying leaves reaching for light doesn’t make sense

• Thread starter Oldguy71
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Seems like almost everybody thinks leaves pointing up at a 45 degree angle means they want more light and are “reaching for it”. Wouldn’t the leaves pointing up be getting 1/2 the light leave that are perpendicular to ithe light would get? Could it be a sign of the plant trying to transpire more effectively instead?
Can someone tell me how a leaf avoiding 1/2 the light it could potentially be getting is wanting more?

Last edited:
BB22

BB22

I’m a new grower

When the leaves reach like they’re praying…

It’s like a plant erection ? No? 🤣

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

I think it means they are trying to transpire more. Possibly to take in more nutrients or to cool the leaves. Might be something else. I think it’s a good sign but don’t think it’s to get more light.

Habosabin

Habosabin

I think they are trying to minimize surface area to reduce light shock if it looks extreme. Jmho.

E

Edinburg

This auto has completed her stretch, is in med hevey preflower now I want the flower to form structure ie fill in the main stem, then a light flush check ph and flip over to the Atami Bloombastic.

IMG 20230402 211441
Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

What I go by;

Found this just now.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Praying happens with some strains more than others. Not necessarily bad or good. Quick growth and development of new leaves shooting upwards. Leaves stretching for more light and not shying away. Cannabis indica varieties and hybrids than lean that way often show signs this more often.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Seems like almost everybody thinks leaves pointing up at a 45 degree angle means they want more light and are “reaching for it”. Wouldn’t the leaves pointing up be getting 1/2 the light leave that are perpendicular to ithe light would get? Could it be a sign of the plant trying to transpire more effectively instead?
Can someone tell me how a leaf avoiding 1/2 the light it could potentially be getting is wanting more?
I agree. From messing with my lights, praying seems to be one of the first signs there might be too much light. It's just after the sweet spot of light intensity with no symptoms of too much light. More intense than that, leaf edges turn up. After that some burning. Not all plants will do it, though.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I think it means they are trying to transpire more. Possibly to take in more nutrients or to cool the leaves. Might be something else. I think it’s a good sign but don’t think it’s to get more light.
I think they're reducing the number of photons that hit the leaf. If the leaf is perpendicular to the light source, it will get maximum radiation. If it's at an angle, it will get less.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I agree. From messing with my lights, praying seems to be one of the first signs there might be too much light. It's just after the sweet spot of light intensity with no symptoms of too much light. More intense than that, leaf edges turn up. After that some burning. Not all plants will do it, though.
Absolutely and prolly the most common reason

growsince79

growsince79

I think they're reducing the number of photons that hit the leaf. If the leaf is perpendicular to the light source, it will get maximum radiation. If it's at an angle, it will get less.
I think it has something to do with the spectrum too. Plants reach for red and shy away from blue. All the new LEDs have the added red diodes.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Leaves will pray naturally also so it depends what time of day and all. @Mikedin has videos that show how the leaves change position so it may be you just caught them when the leaves are up. Just sayin'.

Justlovetogrow

Justlovetogrow

I’ve got a gelato x runtz that has prayed from day 1 right next to it mango grape perfectly fine I’ve dropped the light intensity lifted the light everything so I’m saying this strain just does it not sure if I’m right but I’ve grown plenty of strains in the same spot without the praying so who knows really this has confused me aswell il c myself out😂😝

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Leaves will pray naturally also so it depends what time of day and all. @Mikedin has videos that show how the leaves change position so it may be you just caught them when the leaves are up. Just sayin'.
Here’s a few of them, all plants do it you can see the pepper plants behind them doing the same thing in regard to anticipating the lights turning on or off

Latest posts

Top Bottom