Praying Mantis Beneficial?

• Thread starter Gray Beard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gray Beard

Gray Beard

A pic is worth a thousand words. Late last fall I found a large female mantis sheltering under the eves. At the time I had a few Thrips buzzing around so I thought she might like sheltering with my moms. I guess she liked it because this morning went into the room and noticed 2 freshly born baby Mantis. As I was watching one a Thrip landed right in front of it and wham -breakfast! Quick ran and got the camera. The pics I did get were macro in motion, I'd get close and it would scamper.

2785.jpg

2784.jpg

Logic, if bug photos are a bit off topic I understand if you delete.:bug

S

ShorelineTex

That is badass. I don't know how it wouldn't be beneficial (not to mention way cool)...mantises are 100% carnivorous, so they won't shouldn't bug your plants.

The only problem I see is potentially not having enough buggies to keep them well fed with your mothers...

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
havnt seen one of these in like 20 years since i was a young kid...thats cool bro

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

Glad you guys like 'em. I was real excited not only to see the Mantis but to watch it strike, whack! How many mantis do you see around and how many times do you see them do their thing! I felt privledged to be included.

green bastard

green bastard

thats awasom man great pics....very interesting.....and no they will not bother your plants

B

BUDOGHI

Great food chain action! Organic solutions. Help is on the way!!!!

S

supasticky

If you get a little male mantis they're worth MONEY. People breed them.

-Supa

T

thchams

I can tell you if you have two babies you should have a lot more. I collect wild female mantis in the fall and let them hang out in my veg room, and in my kitchen to eat all types of pests.. Most of the time they are already fertilized and will lay what is called an ootheca. Its a foamy egg mass. If you have babies you have one somewhere in your room.... I bet if you look closer you will find a bunch of babies running around. Most people have no idea how small a baby mantis is.

Cool pics BTW!

D

Donk Frog

I don't get thrips ...will these guys eat mites/ fungus gnats too?
Awesome pics

P

Pandaman

Awesome pics! Love to watch 'em!

They are a little creepy though...

They are the only insect I've seen that can and WILL turn it's head to look at you...

UGH! Cool as hell! But UGH! lol!

Peace

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

In 6th grade I caught a couple large mantis(es?) mantids(?) and took them to school. We fed them grasshoppers and they stayed alive and happy until we ran out of grasshoppers (as it got cold outside). They were some of the coolest bugs I've ever had the opportunity to study. You made the right move by bringing mama into your garden. Nice job!

B

Bill Bloome

Very cool! The Mantis is one of natures best garden protectors,along with the LadyBug,you can have.They eat EVERY bad bug in the garden without affecting the plants.Plus,they are said to bring good luck.

S

SRHninja

lol have you named em yet? hahaha i can only imagine sitting around super high talkin to ya plants and your new friends... i always heard lady bugs help plants aswell

7rayos

They're growers bestest friends. They visit my terrace very often and stay there for long periods. I'm thinking about starting a serious relationship with one of them, i look very much forward our life together, she tells me to wait until after the first time we have sex. She says she will be hard working and take care of me, wot da ya think fellas? Is she true?

Mantis7
Mantis6
Mantis4
Mantis3
Mantix2
Mantis1
Gray Beard

Gray Beard

Found the egg sack this morning in my timer.

Hadn't thought about names yet but since I have only seen two how about Cheech & Chong?

ss - how do I tell a boy from a girl?

The mantis are in my veg room ck out what is going on in my bud room.

2752.jpg

Giddeon

Giddeon

I have found a couple Mantis and the always die when I bring them in. What is a better way to custom them to indoor life??

S

supasticky

The males are really small. They never really have a chance to get big(look up mantis mating LOL!), but the females can get really big, like rayos' mantis. The colors vary though. It's pretty gruesome, but it's a fact of life ya know? If you want to mate put them in the dark and DO NOT DISTURB. at all.

-Supa

Illmind

Illmind

I know i just didnt look at two lady bugs fuckin lol. You a peeping tom on some bugs. On some serious shit mantis' are sicc they eat everything in site monkey had some real distgusting macros of them eating things and closeups of them. They look as though one day they may decide to eat you though. Natures exterminator.

Latest posts

Top Bottom