pre-sex use of space 4x4

• Thread starter 420hobbygrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420hobbygrower

420hobbygrower

Hi, first time grower here! I have a bunch of regular seeds on the way (80). I’m planning on popping an entire pack of 12, and hoping to get 4-5 female plants out of it.

I’m growing in a 4x4, using smart pots, and 660 watts (from wall) of HLG LED - two 330 watt lights.

I planned on fitting 4-5 females in my tent and topping/ training to optimize space, but how do I grow all 12 plants long enough to determine sex? Waiting until switching to 12/12 means my plants will likely be too large to fit in my 4x4, and if they do fit, I won’t have been able to top/train them the way I wanted to maximize my space.

Any help would be appreciated!

Maybe I fit 6 in the tent, and put 6 outside the tent and use one light on each? Maybe keep lights on 24 hours during veg to make sure there isn’t light pollution hitting the ones outside the tent when lights would typically be off during a 18-6?

Or do I roll the dice and try to determine sex from pre-flowers? So I can remove the males before major training gets underway.

TIA!

threatco

threatco

Hi, first time grower here! I have a bunch of regular seeds on the way (80). I’m planning on popping an entire pack of 12, and hoping to get 4-5 female plants out of it.

I’m growing in a 4x4, using smart pots, and 660 watts (from wall) of HLG LED - two 330 watt lights.

I planned on fitting 4-5 females in my tent and topping/ training to optimize space, but how do I grow all 12 plants long enough to determine sex? Waiting until switching to 12/12 means my plants will likely be too large to fit in my 4x4, and if they do fit, I won’t have been able to top/train them the way I wanted to maximize my space.

Any help would be appreciated!

Maybe I fit 6 in the tent, and put 6 outside the tent and use one light on each? Maybe keep lights on 24 hours during veg to make sure there isn’t light pollution hitting the ones outside the tent when lights would typically be off during a 18-6?

Or do I roll the dice and try to determine sex from pre-flowers? So I can remove the males before major training gets underway.

TIA!

You could go 12/12 from seed. Wait to see sex. And then put them back to 24 to restart veg. Risk is causing hermies. The benefit is you see sooner and can more easily do your plan.

Otherwise, I think the best bet is just to put as many as you can fit in there. And hope for the best, cull when they show sex normally.

Most of the stretch happens after sex shows. You would miss out on ideal veg training. But you could still do a little scrogging with the flowering stretch.

Anthem

Anthem

Firsts off, in terms of cannabis life stages there is not a stage called pre flower. With that being said I understand what you mean by pre flower. A plant showing its sex before actually changing the lights on to 12/12 is strain dependent. Some strains will NOT show sex until under 12/12.
I would recommend sprouting like 16 or 20 hoping for 16 to grow. I believe you can fit 16 plants in a 4 x 4 in 12" square pots. I would just pull the males once they become apparent.

Anthem

Anthem

You could go 12/12 from seed. Wait to see sex. And then put them back to 24 to restart veg. Risk is causing hermies. The benefit is you see sooner and can more easily do your plan.

Otherwise, I think the best bet is just to put as many as you can fit in there. And hope for the best, cull when they show sex normally.

Most of the stretch happens after sex shows. You would miss out on ideal veg training. But you could still do a little scrogging with the flowering stretch.
Cannabis plants needs to be mature to show sex. This is not such a great idea for 2 reasons. #1. The time it takes to reveg a plant is often months, like up to 4 months. Secondly

Revegging is not a good idea, it can take months to get the plant back to just a vegetative state.

threatco

threatco

Cannabis plants needs to be mature to show sex. This is not such a great idea for 2 reasons. #1. The time it takes to reveg a plant is often months, like up to 4 months. Secondly

Revegging is not a good idea, it can take months to get the plant back to just a vegetative state.

I agree. It does take a damn long time.

I prefer the maximize space and cull as normal option.

420hobbygrower

420hobbygrower

Dammit, I figured this was going to be the response. But thanks for taking the time to reply!

420hobbygrower

420hobbygrower

Firsts off, in terms of cannabis life stages there is not a stage called pre flower. With that being said I understand what you mean by pre flower. A plant showing its sex before actually changing the lights on to 12/12 is strain dependent. Some strains will NOT show sex until under 12/12.
I would recommend sprouting like 16 or 20 hoping for 16 to grow. I believe you can fit 16 plants in a 4 x 4 in 12" square pots. I would just pull the males once they become apparent.
Thanks! I guess I’ll squeeze them all in there and see what happens.

420hobbygrower

420hobbygrower

Ok, so I decided I’m going to squeeze them all in the tent to start, BUT once they’re old enough to be topped I’ll take those tops and put them in water (party cups) and go straight to a 12/12 light cycle with those cuttings / clones.

I only have one tent, so I’ll just move the clones from the tent to a dark closet each day after 10 or 12 hours of light. Once they show their sex I can toss all the male plants that are vegging and train the females to best optimize the space in my tent.

😅😅

Latest posts

Top Bottom