Preferred brand of HPS lighting?

• Thread starter LeaveNoDoubts
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LeaveNoDoubts

LeaveNoDoubts

Hey I been thinking of getting a 600w HPS setup and Im looking around to see what brands people are using and if they are happy with them.
Ive heard vivosun and ipower are ok but I read bad things too.
Any info or feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Phillips Son-T Agro no need to use MH in veg just use these right the way through really good results . I’m running 400w . Regards Od .

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
HPS lights are fairly standard and don't vary as much as MH bulbs. It could depend on your ballast as well, since not alll ballasts will work with a HPS or a MH bulb. Some will, but most older ones are bulb specific unless you buy a conversion bulb, which works great and eliminates the need for separate ballasts or dual mode ballasts. I prefer Phillips, but have had good results from most others without problems. The MH to HPS conversion bulbs are pretty cool and work in a regular old MH magnetic ballast.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Check out Grow Ace as they have several hps rigs for sale cheap, or at least cheap compaired to led, they have a 600w hps rig with hood ballast and fan + light bulbs for under $200.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Where are you located? I've got 2 double ended HPS/MH hoods I don't really use anymore. Some really nice expensive tubes for them as well.

Ballast, tubes, hoods, blowers everything needed.

They got only like 1 grow on one of them. Some of the tubes are unopened.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Growers house did a test and hortilux bulbs won highest par and solis tech and phantom were the ballasts with the best output.

I am getting similar results to hortilux with their next choice Ushio bulbs with my solis tech ballasts.

The galaxy ballasts i replaced gave me lower yield than solis tech.

Edit: this info is for single ended hps.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Growers house did a test and hortilux bulbs won highest par and solis tech and phantom were the ballasts with the beat output.

I am getting similar results to hortilux with their next choice Ushio bulbs with my solis tech ballasts.

The galaxy ballasts i replaced gave me lower yield than solis tech.

Yea, I was running dual 1200 watt double ended bulbs, and although they ran really nice and produced a great product, the noise level, fans, electric cost was substantial, (not to mention AC and refrigeration pump cost) since then I've gone to the BESTVA's which are full spetrum with ir/uv and they grow a really nice product, better than any LED's I've ever run, even the $2K black dog panel I once had. The new 700 watt light I've got (they call it a 4000W) is the most powerful, biggest footprint LED I've ever run, it's a true double ended HPS replacement, hands down.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yea, I was running dual 1200 watt double ended bulbs, and although they ran really nice and produced a great product, the noise level, fans, electric cost was substantial, (not to mention AC and refrigeration pump cost) since then I've gone to the BESTVA's which are full spetrum with ir/uv and they grow a really nice product, better than any LED's I've ever run, even the $2K black dog panel I once had. The new 700 watt light I've got (they call it a 4000W) is the most powerful, biggest footprint LED I've ever run, it's a true double ended HPS replacement, hands down.

If you mean the quantum series I just took a look. Its basically a knockoff chinese board with no name diodes and driver like mars. They even use the name quantum board that belongs to HLG.

And yeah the new tech puts out more light than the old blurple tech.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
If you mean the quantum series I just took a look. Its basically a knockoff chinese board with no name diodes and driver like mars. They even use the name quantum board that belongs to HLG.

And yeah the new tech puts out more light than the old blurple tech.

These are good lights, I've got 1 of the 4000's and 2 of the 3000's, (700 actual watts and 600 watts respectively)
They do an exceptional job of resin production especially, I've not seen anything like them, except using a HPS/MH setup. These are the real deal.

They use epistar/bridelux 10w (double filiment)@1.67W each 120 angle.

Details:
Item Model: 4000W
Dimension: 30. 5x 14.6 x 5.7 inch
Replaces a 3000 watt HPS/MH
Product Weight: 19.8LB
Full spectrum for all stages of plant growth
Core Coverage Area: 6ft x 6.5ft at 24" Height
LEDs Angle: 120°
200pcs Dual-Chip 10W Bridgelux/Epileds LEDs
Avg. Power Draw: 690W
Input Voltage: AC85-265V
Working Temp: -68~104℉
Frequency: 50-60Hz
Plug Type: AU , EU , JP , UK , US-Type Available
Surface Material: Anti-oxidation aluminum
Warranty: 3 years

Certification: CE, RoHS
Best Spectrum Wavelength: Red(620nm;660nm); Blue(450nm;460nm); Orange(610nm); IR(730nm); White(6500K) ,UV(410nm).

Ideally suited for various stages of plant growth, and can be a good indoor garden soil or culture solution cultured plants.

Full Spectrum:
280nm ~ 315nm -- Influence on morphological and physiological processes is minimal (resin production on cannabis)
315nm ~ 420nm -- Chlorophyll absorbs less impact photoperiod effect, prevent stem elongation
420nm ~ 500nm (blue) -- Chlorophyll and carotenoids absorbed the largest proportion, the greatest impact on photosynthesis
500nm ~ 620nm -- Dye absorption rate is not high
620nm ~ 750nm (red) -- Chlorophyll absorption rate "high", has a significant influence on photosynthesis and photoperiod effect
750nm ~ 1000nm -- Absorption rate, stimulate cell elongation, impact of flowering and seed germination
>1000nm -- Converted into calorie

Capture8
Capture7
Capture6
Capture5
Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

These are good lights, I've got 1 of the 4000's and 2 of the 3000's, (700 actual watts and 600 watts respectively)
Details:
Item Model: 4000W

Dimension: 30. 5x 14.6 x 5.7 inch

Replaces a 3000 watt HPS/MH

Product Weight: 19.8LB

Full spectrum for all stages of plant growth

Core Coverage Area: 6ft x 6.5ft at 24" Height

LEDs Angle: 120°

200pcs Dual-Chip 10W Bridgelux/Epileds LEDs

Avg. Power Draw: 690W

Input Voltage: AC85-265V

Working Temp: -68~104℉

Frequency: 50-60Hz

Plug Type: AU , EU , JP , UK , US-Type Available

Surface Material: Anti-oxidation aluminum

Warranty: 3 years

Certification: CE, RoHS

Best Spectrum Wavelength: Red(620nm;660nm); Blue(450nm;460nm); Orange(610nm); IR(730nm); White(6500K) ,UV(410nm).

Ideally suited for various stages of plant growth, and can be a good indoor garden soil or culture solution cultured plants.

Full Spectrum:
280nm ~ 315nm -- Influence on morphological and physiological processes is minimal

315nm ~ 420nm -- Chlorophyll absorbs less impact photoperiod effect, prevent stem elongation

420nm ~ 500nm (blue) -- Chlorophyll and carotenoids absorbed the largest proportion, the greatest impact on photosynthesis

500nm ~ 620nm -- Dye absorption rate is not high

620nm ~ 750nm (red) -- Chlorophyll absorption rate "high", has a significant influence on photosynthesis and photoperiod effect

750nm ~ 1000nm -- Absorption rate, stimulate cell elongation, impact of flowering and seed germination

>1000nm -- Converted into calorie

Oh you have the old model. Im sure they work fine but i wouldnt trust a mass produced budget chinese light with the cheap diodes even on the new model.

I have watched 100’s of cheap led lamps be replaced or upgraded in the last few years on the forums while even my old hps ballasts that i replaced at 5 years old still work fine.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Oh you have the old model. Im sure they work fine but i wouldnt trust a mass produced budget chinese light with the cheap diodes even on the new model.

I have watched 100’s of cheap led lamps be replaced or upgraded in the last few years on the forums while even my old hps ballasts that i replaced at 5 years old still work fine.

Well I've had the 3000's now for over a year, and no problems whatsoever, although I don't run them hot ever. That said, I was reluctant to buy such a big board, as there's more to go wrong, but BESTVA stands behind there product pretty well from what I hear, and their warranty service is excellent.

The only thing that makes these boards different is the reflector holes, everything else is the same. Infact, they don't make a 4000 in the new model, because I think they run hotter, this one's got far better par concentrations, than the other models.

700 W is a massive power draw for an LED, and I've measured it with my meter, so I know exactly what there putting out, both light, and power draws. They've also got dual switches, for veg and running flower, and that feature works well.

This was done with one 700 W light, (started during flower) it was my first run.

IMG 20200726 005220537 1   Copy
Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well I've had the 3000's now for over a year, and no problems whatsoever, although I don't run them hot ever. That said, I was reluctant to buy such a big board, as there's more to go wrong, but BESTVA stands behind there product pretty well from what I hear, and their warranty service is excellent.

The only thing that makes these boards different is the reflector holes, everything else is the same. Infact, they don't make a 4000 in the new model, because I think they run hotter, this one's got far better par concentrations, than the other models.

700 W is a massive power draw for an LED, and I've measured it with my meter, so I know exactly what there putting out, both light, and power draws. They've also got dual switches, for veg and running flower, and that feature works well.

If you say so. As long as you like them and their results thats all that matters.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
If you say so. As long as you like them and their results thats all that matters.

Yea, they probably aren't a good commercial solution, but there excellent for the home grow, I suppose. At under $400 per light, I'm pretty happy. (under $300 for the 3000's)

There far better than most of the chinese lights, and there even better than the spider grows, in a very big way. The UV puts them over the top.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yea, they probably aren't a good commercial solution, but there excellent for the home grow, I suppose. At under $400 per light, I'm pretty happy. (under $300 for the 3000's)

There far better than most of the chinese lights, and there even better than the spider grows, in a very big way. The UV puts them over the top.

Well i tried to tell you not to keep selling me on them but you should know the uva in led particularly cheap led is pretty much worthless.

You are referring to uvb that increases thc. Led grow lights dont have that spectrum.

And i am far from a commercial producer but i need reliability and i like to pay once for it.

Budget lighting tends to cost more in the end. Budget anything.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

back to the question ,i run the vivosun and another cheap one that purple cant remember name,had both over 5 years and do a great job,bought the purple unit and mh and hps bulb came with it along with 2 ratchet straps for 125,still using same MH bulb and had to replace the HPS bulb around 2 years ago.
i believe the trick is running your exhaust air over the bulb ad out the tent for longevity,i have filter inside and fan outside
but all is cheap and both the ballast have dimmer switch

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks guys. I have been looking at these 2 setups. Anyone used these? Any reason I should not get one of these.
Or can anyone recommend better for same price?
Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Digital-Dimmable-System-Reflector/dp/B005GYRZV2?ref_=ast_slp_dp
i would use which ever has glass myself ,i cant tell if the one has glass ,one doesnt for sure,but i use the glass ,mine is a cool tube it is round and doesnt take up so much room
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Hydr...n+600+hps&qid=1595766447&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-8

Latest posts

Top Bottom