Price For Worm Castings Per Cubic Foot

• Thread starter albone3000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

albone3000

What's the range I should be looking to Pay for castings per cubic foot? I want to get 8 cu ft. Locally here in Massachusetts.

Freshone

Freshone

You can order them from buildasoil.com for cheaper than that,check them out.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Yoy can buy them if you want i will set up a worm farm.

All you need is a Opaque bin wet newspapers ground up scraps and worms.

When bin gets 1/3-1/2 full put tge food on one end fir a week or two. When worms migrate to the food Harvest the castings on the other end.

Everyone has plenty refuse to keep them going.

Coffee grounds, fruit peelings, apple cores. Put in some dan leaves for extra nitrogen. Kitchen scraps, left overs no one wants to eat.

You can get a worm farm off the ground cheaply.

Two identical Opaque tubs.

Set bricks in one tub.

The other tub make small holes so excessive water can drain in the tub with bricks and make holes at the top so air can get in the worm bin.

Take newspapers or junk mail and line the worm bin (no slick shiny paper. Put food and worms and voila a worm farm. When you have sufficient castings put all food on one end for 2-3 weeks. After worms migrate to tge end with tge food Harvest the castings. Then add the castings to water to make worm tea and feed your plants or add to the soil

A

albone3000

ive watched plenty of videos on worm bins. i think its cool. i love my compost pile. it could be in my future, but i need 60 gallons right now. thanks for taking the time to write out the instructions.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Best I've found for good quality, and not even local to me, was $20 for a medium-size pre-paid USPS box stuffed full. I think it was maybe 10lbs.

Freshone

Freshone

Sea that 25$ for 25lbs is not far from you,look up vermicompost/Apple valley in farm and garden on Craiglist.His stuff is tops,alot of people drive along way to get his product,master composter extraordinare.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
I have around 20 yards of finished castings right now....... But in cali. No help, I know. Got another 20 being made right now....... Again, no help.

Search for vermi compost also, as most times locals don't screen the material.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I have around 20 yards of finished castings right now....... But in cali. No help, I know. Got another 20 being made right now....... Again, no help.

Search for vermi compost also, as most times locals don't screen the material.
Very important to screen material to remove rotting material and big clumps that would attract pests.not to mention to screen larvae that woukd eat tge roots.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Very important to screen material to remove rotting material and big clumps that would attract pests.not to mention to screen larvae that woukd eat tge roots.

Not for my farm. My base is compost and peat. Then I feed plant amendments with fine chicken mash. All could be topped dressed on growing plants. Why in the world would your worm castings have pests? Especially root eating bugs? Your EWC need to be higher quality, cause the nematodes take care of that in my bins.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Not for my farm. My base is compost and peat. Then I feed plant amendments with fine chicken mash. All could be topped dressed on growing plants. Why in the world would your worm castings have pests? Especially root eating bugs? Your EWC need to be higher quality, cause the nematodes take care of that in my bins.
Mine don't.

Some people go crazy feeding the worms much more than they can process and tgey end up with big lumps of rotting vegetarian that attracts bugs.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Yea, a lot of people like to throw kitchen scraps and other food. I say compost it, then feed it. Many ways to approach I suppose.

Edit: I do throw whole melons/pumpkins/squash in now that I think about it. By far my worms favorite food, but it goes down quick.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sea that 25$ for 25lbs is not far from you,look up vermicompost/Apple valley in farm and garden on Craiglist.His stuff is tops,alot of people drive along way to get his product,master composter extraordinare.
Nice, thanks! :)

A

albone3000

So I went and picked up the castings from the guy on cl. I think I lucked out this guy takes great pride in his castings. The consistency is perfect and uniform. Smell is healthy. He feeds them mainly composted manure and alfalfa. He was genuinely concerned for the microbes getting cold in my pickup on the ride home and made me wrap the trash cans with a packing blanket and tarp.

Top Bottom