pro-mix hp

• Thread starter badness
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

badness

does anyone know if pro-mix hp has some sort of ph buffer or something in it? seems like half way thru every grow i have to flush w/ like 5 times or more of the size of the container, to get the ph where i want it (6.3-6.5). it takes hours for me to do this. don't remember having this issue when i used fox farm soil. any one else have issues with pro-mix?

B

badness

like last night i spent almost 3 hours putting ph adjusted water at 6.5 thru like a 2gal container and it stayed at 6.1 til i finally gave up. it did come up from 5.9 but i also spent the same effort one week earlier flushing it. what would hold the ph like that?

C

CaliKush

try fafard a mix from canada, works good, pro-mix has some hot spots,

peace

B

badness

by hot spots do you mean that one container of mix could be different from another even though it came from the same bail? thanks.

I

ismokepot

I've used Pro-mix bh for many, many years both in my growing and foro commercial growing for a local garden store chain. It's a very good product and includes lime as a pH buffer. I add perlite and some additional lime at planting time. I only use organic fertilizers in the mix- I've found chemical ferts build up quickly and cause problems the last 6 weeks of flowering. Lower your ferts amounts (I use 1/4-1/2 of recommended amount and fert every other watering) and use natural fertilizer and you'll see alot of improvement. Also lowering your pH'd water may help too.....

B

badness

ok thanks! guess i'll bring the ph to like 7.0 and see if the runoff comes out at where i want it. it's nice to know what the problem is now so i can address it!!

I

ismokepot

By the way, this may help also. I make sure my fertilized water is 6.0-6.2 going in and I never have to worry about run off cause the plants are always healthy (other than an occassional runt of the litter) with no deficiencies. When they yellow slightly, or growth slows, I start with 1/4 strength fert and raise amounts very slowly.

SmokinDogCujo

SmokinDogCujo

Premium Member
Supporter
Uh.....just curious, what made you check your runoff? Are your plants showing deficiencies?

Grow Safe

SDC

B

badness

yes, lots of issues. first off i always check my runoff and always ph adjust anything that goes into pots. i wish i still had my digital camera i would show a pic and it would explain it all for me. what's weird is the runoff ph wasn't bad til i flushed the plants. i flushed cause i figured that i overdid it on the nutes (first time using ALL of advanced nutrients whole line) since the ph was fine. but when i was flushing everyone the ph was all over the place then stayed at around 6.1. i used ph adjusted, filtered water at 6.5 for about 4 hours but still didn't get the ph where i wanted it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom