Probably magnesium deficiency in my first coco grow

• Thread starter crushedc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crushedc

crushedc

Hello folks, it's my first post in here!

This is my first grow using coco (did soil before), and I have had some deficiency issues which seem common for coco growing. This plant here is in week 3 of veg from seed (black cherry punch from in house genetics) and I've had a perpetual issue with what it seems to be magnesium deficiency.

The medium is Royal Gold Tupur (70% coco, 30% perlite I believe) and she is in a 5 gal cloth pot.

The last feed I gave it was:
RO Water starting~15ml
Canna Coco A+B 7ml/gal
Canna Rhyz ~5ml/gal
Canna Cannazym ~5ml/gal
CaliMagic ~5ml/gal (I just got the calimagic on Monday, so before then It was not being fed cal mag) before then, I was using my hard water ~200ppm without calmag added
The feed is about 800 ppm

Today I gave it ~1gal of this feed, and the run-off measured to 1400 ppm which, by a couple posts in this thread, seems to be quite high. I usually give it half a gallon of feed daily, which gives a little bit of run-off, but today I decided to increase the amount watered so I could measure the run-off.

The top of the plant is a little mangled because I kind of screwed up topping it. Decided to pull apart the tops so that they could try and get some equal lighting.

I wanted to ask other coco growers how their watering is set up, if they like having a lot of run-off, what I might consider changing, etc. Am I going around the right path of increasing the amount watered? Do you guys figure that I might want to consider flushing it soon? And possibly any other tips n tricks would be greatly appreciated, And maybe I even mis-diagnosed the issue completely. Either way any input is appreciated over here!
Probably magnesium deficiency in my first coco grow

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hello folks, it's my first post in here!

This is my first grow using coco (did soil before), and I have had some deficiency issues which seem common for coco growing. This plant here is in week 3 of veg from seed (black cherry punch from in house genetics) and I've had a perpetual issue with what it seems to be magnesium deficiency.

The medium is Royal Gold Tupur (70% coco, 30% perlite I believe) and she is in a 5 gal cloth pot.

The last feed I gave it was:
RO Water starting~15ml
Canna Coco A+B 7ml/gal
Canna Rhyz ~5ml/gal
Canna Cannazym ~5ml/gal
CaliMagic ~5ml/gal (I just got the calimagic on Monday, so before then It was not being fed cal mag) before then, I was using my hard water ~200ppm without calmag added
The feed is about 800 ppm

Today I gave it ~1gal of this feed, and the run-off measured to 1400 ppm which, by a couple posts in this thread, seems to be quite high. I usually give it half a gallon of feed daily, which gives a little bit of run-off, but today I decided to increase the amount watered so I could measure the run-off.

The top of the plant is a little mangled because I kind of screwed up topping it. Decided to pull apart the tops so that they could try and get some equal lighting.

I wanted to ask other coco growers how their watering is set up, if they like having a lot of run-off, what I might consider changing, etc. Am I going around the right path of increasing the amount watered? Do you guys figure that I might want to consider flushing it soon? And possibly any other tips n tricks would be greatly appreciated, And maybe I even mis-diagnosed the issue completely. Either way any input is appreciated over here!
View attachment 1164594
Looks like a lighting issue to me. Often to much light can look like a mag deficiency because of the bleaching in-between the veins.

That plus the anthocyanins being produced on the topside of the petiole on such a young plant.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Have a read here on watering in coco. I'd stay between 400-800ppm on the concentration. 50-100ppm of cal mag max if your using tap at 200ppm.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

I found a lot of help in Aqua Mans watering guide and his advice on my first coco grow.

crushedc

crushedc

Thanks aqua man!
I have dimmed the light to 75% for now (mars hydro fc-e3000) had it at 100%

Also another concern is the drooping top leaves - not too sure why that’s happening. Today she looks the same (a little growth) but here is a pic

crushedc

crushedc

Also worth mentioning: the temps go from 72 F at night to 79-80 F in the day. Almost never goes above 80 F

crushedc

crushedc

I had it at 24” previously
Now I moved it to 26” today and dimmed to 75%

crushedc

crushedc

So she’s not looking as happy as she was yesterday. Not too sure why
I’m thinking it could be earlier signs of nutrient toxicity? But really not sure why the top of the plant is wilting. Right now I’m at 8ml/gal of coco a+b and cali magic at 3ml/gal
F9EBB9E1 0E8A 48AC A8A7 B5070AE4B8BA

23DBA958 6347 4A37 A898 2BB4261DA48C
crushedc

crushedc

More deets:
Plant is in 5 gallon pot of royal gold tupur
Watering is done within first two hours of light on every day, with 1 gallon of feed

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
BF92B7E3 40C8 4285 962D B7297BA4634D
Get those temperatures up. 73 is a bit cold with lights of and I assume your root zone is too cold. Weird twisted growth can sometimes mean you have root zone issues. Get it warmer and watch the growth take off.

edit*
if your plant is showing signs of issues, always stop feeding. Although it isn’t good to let coco dry back completely, a little dry back before watering isn’t going to hurt, specially if your plant isn’t up taking anything.
burnz

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Damaged leaves are going to get worse and die... if you chase thus everyday it's not going to end well. Get your environment in check and continue on for a week.

crushedc

crushedc

Thanks for your inputs
It seems like she wilts during the night drastically until the second hour of light. She wilts around an hour before lights out as well. Seems like this could be normal and fine depending on the strain? But not sure

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for your inputs
It seems like she wilts during the night drastically until the second hour of light. She wilts around an hour before lights out as well. Seems like this could be normal and fine depending on the strain? But not sure
Normal

crushedc

crushedc

My plant has now been doing fine and dandy after your suggestions. My question now would be, should I keep the light levels at 50% until I flip to flower?

super grateful that you diagnosed the primary problem to have been light stress, I would have never gotten to that conclusion without your guys’ help!

crushedc

crushedc

Hey Aqua Man need your help on a new coco issue I’m seeing on this grow.
Currently I’m feeding at ~1000ppm, about 4 times a day. (1/2 gallon per feeding, she’s in a 5 gallon royal gold tupur coco and peat mix, with about 30% running off) What I’m seeing happen is over the course of a three to four days is the run off goes from 1000 ppm to 1500 ppm and I have to flush to get the runoff back to 1000 ppm. If I do not flush she starts getting burnt tips nute burns.

Is the flushing just something I’m going to have to do constantly? It’s very tedious and I’m just unsure at what I can do to make the runoffs more stable. It just doesn’t make sense to me why the runoffs are getting so high in ppm count
6C0A754C ED1F 4F6D B98F DB9F14EA8233

Top Bottom