Problem with Milwaukee pH600 Meter. Help Needed!

• Thread starter ConceptOfSleep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Hey there Farmers... Im having a bit of a problem with my pH pen, and I was hoping maybe someone would have some tips or advice for me...

My meter wasn't the most expensive, but is relatively new...I just purchased it this summer. Anyway the damn thing doesn't seem to be doing much of ANYTHING?!?!?!? I have 7.01 calibration fluid to make sure that I keep it accurate, and calibrate it at least once a week.

Anyway, the past few days it has been totally wacky... I will calibrate it to 7.0. I the rinse off the calibration fluid and test my water (which always use to be 7.4 - 7.5) However, now it never seems to move. It just stays at 7.0-7.1 So I figured maybe my water pH just changed... But then I will mix up a full batch of nutes, 6ml Micro, 9ml Bloom, and the damn meter STILL reads just under 7.0???? Mixing up a full batch of nutes used to put my water at just about 6.6 when starting with 7.4 pH water. So I added some pH down....then tested, still not much lower, then some more, and more again... still I cant even get it below 6.5.

Im sure that something is wrong with my meter, but still everytime I dip it in the calibration fluid.... 6.8-7.0 I am completely baffled. I even decided to screw with it, and when I dipped it in calibration fluid, I set it to 10.0.... and then when I tested anything I could find, it was still only moving about +/- .02

Anyone with experience with these Milwaukee pH600 meter or anything like this, I would be very grateful for the response...

I am trying to nurse the last of my clones to health, but its not working out so well when I cant make sure my pH is in the right area, especially since they are in Coco.

Thanks guys.
:cool

T

ThcBuz

I've had mine read better and faster when I keep the probe wiped off with a q-tip occaisionally.I also keep a little water(just a couple drops)in the cap when I store the pen.if the probe is allowed to dry out they will stop reading completely sometimes.mines about 2 years old and works great

J

julsbagell

Premium Member
Supporter
When you calibrate in the 7 your suposed to calibrate in the 4 next then store in the 4 thats what I was told by the rep hope this helps.

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Hey thanks THCBuz and Julsbagell

I never did store the pen in any solution, so it probably did dry out and start reading all funky...

@ Julsbagell, that is for the meters which have 2-point calibration I beleive... My pen is a 1 point calibration pen and only requires one type of calibration solution... Its a pretty simple and inexpensive meter, and I do know that many of the better/more expensive ones require 2 or more solutions to calibrate it correctly... Mine worked correctly for months and months up until the past few days...

Incidentally, I left the meter sitting out without even putting the cap on it for a few days right before this problem started so I am pretty sure its all out of whack because the elctrode dried out, and from what I am reading thats can really cause some problems... Oh well time to order a new pH pen it seems...

I just hope that I havent really been stressing my OGK x DPD clones because they are about all I have left, and damnit I owe Outlaw a test grow ASAP! Im gona mix things up with the levels I know work, and not pay attention to what my meter says anymore...

Ill have a new one ordered tomorrow, so I jsut gotta keep those ladies alive for a few days and then they can get fed correctly...

Thanks for the help guys!
:rock

X

xchaoticmetalx

Usually you can take out and replace the PH electrode so ya dont have to buy a new pen. If ya do have to purchase a new one then get one with a replaceable probe and some storage solution. I have had great luck with hanna instruments.

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Usually you can take out and replace the PH electrode so ya dont have to buy a new pen. If ya do have to purchase a new one then get one with a replaceable probe and some storage solution. I have had great luck with hanna instruments.

Yup, unfortunately mine doesnt have a replaceable electrode :rain

Im looking into what new meter to get and have seen some Hannah and Milwaukee's that look pretty decent and for a decent price, and many with replaceable electrodes... Either way I will certainly be buying some storage solution.

thanks for the advice, thats why I love the farm! :rock

M

Married2Mary

Premium Member
Supporter
It's a piece of shit.. I suggest buying a new one... That's what I had to do... You get what you pay for... Get a nice BlueLab Truncheon... Well worth it... Just my 2 cents..

Top Bottom