Problem with oil.. Turned black and hard..

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

Ive made oil a few times and this has happened before where the oil has gotten very hard and brittle like and it also turned a dark color. Is this because i didnt purge good enough? When i did my run, i didnt have a heated plate of water under my dish but i did put in oven and whipped it up a bit right after i did the run. I have made oil before where it was nice and golden and a gooey like substance. What did i do wrong this time?

CINDARELLA99

CINDARELLA99

What kind of oil are you talking about? Like RSO, FECO oil or BHO type of oil?

I've done BHO that turned hard and brittle,like a lightweight Cannabis brittle.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Dark color can be age of the material, the strain, chlorophyll, or too much heat. What color when smeared on white paper?

Hard and brittle suggests you didn't use too much heat. If you want it more goey, you can decarboxylate it some.

mikeb437

mikeb437

This was bho. I just did a run in a cold dish then i put into an oven for a bit while i whipped it up a bit. The oil cooled while still in the dish and was hard when i tried to collect. The taste was horrible and harsh. Ive made oil from this strain before and it wasnt anything like this oil. I think it wasnt a good purge and i have alot of crap in this batch..

Graywolf

Graywolf

This was bho. I just did a run in a cold dish then i put into an oven for a bit while i whipped it up a bit. The oil cooled while still in the dish and was hard when i tried to collect. The taste was horrible and harsh. Ive made oil from this strain before and it wasnt anything like this oil. I think it wasnt a good purge and i have alot of crap in this batch..

Try sticking a bit on a wire into a torch flame and watch what happens. Both retained butane and water will create a wild sputtering firedance.

mikeb437

mikeb437

Try sticking a bit on a wire into a torch flame and watch what happens. Both retained butane and water will create a wild sputtering firedance.

It does slightly crackle when i dab it. But i think thats because of it hitting the hot metal on my bong... I have used a hair dryer to heat it up a few times and then i would play with it while it was warm n gooey. I dont want shatter! I want a oil like texture to my bho and i dont know what im doing wrong. Just did another run,, hot water bath,, then into an oven where i scraped the dish with a dental pick for a while.. There was no more foaming of the oil at all... Collected and it turned hard.. Like a milk dud but a bit harder but not shatter like.. I bought some vector today because i was using power butane before and im going to see if that makes a difference.. Then ill try a different strain if i get same results..

Graywolf

Graywolf

The flame test requires a flame, so a crackle dabbing doesn't really count.

If it is stiff after decarboxylation, you might redissolve it in 190 proof and winterize it to remove the plant waxes. If you will then cook off the alcohol, you will most likely end up with runny oil.

RoidsRus

RoidsRus

Dark color can be age of the material, the strain, chlorophyll, or too much heat. What color when smeared on white paper?

Hard and brittle suggests you didn't use too much heat. If you want it more goey, you can decarboxylate it some.
I couldn't have said this any better myself....

J

Jurgen1892

I know this is an old thread, but am wondering if anybody can help? I have Rick Simpson oil which has gone rock hard inside the syringe and only comes if placed under hot water or a lamp, is this oil still medicinally beneficial just as if it was a gooey texture? Thanks :)

Just420

Just420

Hi bro...registered just to answer q for ya man...👍🤣
My rso always hard bro...thats when ya know its done bang on 👍
Need to warm syringe up a bit or maybee mix with coconut oil once warm to keep runny....hope that help pal...
Take care just ✌

Top Bottom