Problems with CANNA Coco A+B

• Thread starter Bjg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bjg

Hi so I'm wondering if theres anyone who uses canna coco a+b in a reserviour drain to waste. I'm having a few problems.
1st problem is ph rising. My tap water is around 23ppm at 7.2 ph
I mix nutrient a+b only to approx 250ppm then ph down to 5.8 I have a fountain pump inside res circulating water pretty vigorously. 6 hours later back to 7(I haven't even fed the plants yet). So I drop ph back to 5.2 (feed plants) and 3 hours later it's back to 6.9. I've stopped running the big pump in the res and swapped to a small circulator pump. Any ideas what would could such a shift in ph in a stand alone tank.
My next problem is the mix is going cloudy within 24 hours not real bad but just cant see the bottom of the tank. I also noticed this when I mixed a jug for previous feed if I left it over night it would be cloudy in the morning. Im on tank water so no chlorine I'm not sure if theres some sort of reaction happening with my water. I also just noticed the ph down I'm using is citric acid. Prob not the best so I have some phosphoric acid on the way. Not sure if this will solve my problems. But if anyone had this problem and solved it please let me know what you tried. I also suspect low alkilinity which might be the cause of the ph swing. Any water quality gurus floating around that might be able to help.
Thanks in advance.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Alright... thank you for your patience on waiting for a reply! A lot of new members don't have that trait and you've waited since yesterday. Sincerely appreciate that. Let's take this step by step.

The problem you're having is a lack of buffering. I'm not going to explain it here, but you can go read this thread here: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/ph-a-basic-explanation.114510/

Once you've read that, you'll have a better understanding of what the basic problem is. Focus on correcting the pH swing and see if the clouding persists. The clouding is what is called precipitation, or crashing out. It's chelated nutrients recrystallizing within the reservoir, effectively becoming unavailable to the plants. I suspect it's happening due to the wild pH swings you're experiencing.

Once you've read that thread, if you continue to have questions on what exactly you need to do, tag me with an @ and I'll be happy to break it down for ya.

Shmike111

Shmike111

Hi so I'm wondering if theres anyone who uses canna coco a+b in a reserviour drain to waste. I'm having a few problems.
1st problem is ph rising. My tap water is around 23ppm at 7.2 ph
I mix nutrient a+b only to approx 250ppm then ph down to 5.8 I have a fountain pump inside res circulating water pretty vigorously. 6 hours later back to 7(I haven't even fed the plants yet). So I drop ph back to 5.2 (feed plants) and 3 hours later it's back to 6.9. I've stopped running the big pump in the res and swapped to a small circulator pump. Any ideas what would could such a shift in ph in a stand alone tank.
My next problem is the mix is going cloudy within 24 hours not real bad but just cant see the bottom of the tank. I also noticed this when I mixed a jug for previous feed if I left it over night it would be cloudy in the morning. Im on tank water so no chlorine I'm not sure if theres some sort of reaction happening with my water. I also just noticed the ph down I'm using is citric acid. Prob not the best so I have some phosphoric acid on the way. Not sure if this will solve my problems. But if anyone had this problem and solved it please let me know what you tried. I also suspect low alkilinity which might be the cause of the ph swing. Any water quality gurus floating around that might be able to help.
Thanks in advance.
Hi, you are very educated.
I grow in Coco and use hydroponic pH down and I do not have a problem.
I used the full canna range I know that rhizotonic takes the pH to 9.
My guess is it's your pH.
Good luck.

tbd100

tbd100

I would highly suspect the citric acid. When I started my udwc, I briefly tried citric. I found - like you - that it does not hold the pH down for any length of time. As soon as I switched to phosphoric, my pH was far more stable and rose more naturally with the nutes.

Top Bottom