Problems with seedlings (autoflower) and need advice with auto

• Thread starter DirtyDave1990
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DirtyDave1990

DirtyDave1990

So I had twelve seeds they were 6 Strawnana and 6 northern lights both were feminized and photoperiod. I planted them in fox farms ocean forest potting soil and 10 of them died in the seedling stage. Only two of the strawnanas are left. They’re close to being harvested and I got some new seeds I’m ready to plant and need some advice. I had read that I maybe shouldn’t Have started them in a soil with any fertilizer but I was under the impression this soil was good to start seeds in (pics attached). The new seeds are LSD-25 autoflower. So I read with autoflower that you should start in the container you plan to grow in (because of their fast nature the shock from transplant can slow them down too much) but also that they can be even more susceptible to nutrients in the soil in seedling stage. So I’m wondering;
1. if there’s a chance my soil killed my seedlings?
2. If I need to switch to a different starting soil for my new seeds?
3. If I do need to switch to a new soil for me autoflower seeds how/when do i transplant or do I just leave them in less nutrient rich soil?

Problems with seedlings autoflower and need advice with auto
Problems with seedlings autoflower and need advice with auto 2
Problems with seedlings autoflower and need advice with auto 3
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Tell me more about how you took care of the seedlings I need step by step how you did everything from the SEED to the Soil to the watering schedule.

Mostly wanna know exactly how often and how much you watered them.

420trout

420trout

I use fox farms for my autos. Usually not straight up but 60% FFOF, 20% coco coir, 20% perlite. When I plant my auto seeds I do it in the plant pot they will stay in for the full run. I make a solo cup hole in the center of the FFOF and put straight coco in the hole for the seed. This way the seedling is not in the hot soil and by the time it grows through the coco it is ready to take in the FFOF nutes without killing or burning.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have planted 100’s of tap rooted seeds in ocean forest. Needs at least 25% large perlite added for proper drainage. Watering too often or bad drainage or fertilizing too early are the cause of most problems in potting soil.

DirtyDave1990

DirtyDave1990

Tell me more about how you took care of the seedlings I need step by step how you did everything from the SEED to the Soil to the watering schedule.

Mostly wanna know exactly how often and how much you watered them.

I put my seeds in a wet paper towel sandwiched between two paper plates making sure it was moist everyday for 3 days. Then I planted into the soil at about 1/2-1 inch deep and watered very slowly until water came out the bottom. Watered every 3-4 days after that using the same method. I had some small grow lights that I followed the instructions with for seedlings. They all sprouted, grew one set of leaves after cotyledons, but not true leaves then they slump over and die. Also some of the leaves browned a bit before dieing others just died. Temp and humidity were in range the whole time

DirtyDave1990

DirtyDave1990

I use fox farms for my autos. Usually not straight up but 60% FFOF, 20% coco coir, 20% perlite. When I plant my auto seeds I do it in the plant pot they will stay in for the full run. I make a solo cup hole in the center of the FFOF and put straight coco in the hole for the seed. This way the seedling is not in the hot soil and by the time it grows through the coco it is ready to take in the FFOF nutes without killing or burning.

what do you mean by make a solo cup hole? Like cut the bottom of a solo cup off and put it in the pot Surrounded by the fox farms then fill the solo cup with Coco?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I think you were over watering the seedlings and thats why they died.. :( too much watering..

DirtyDave1990

DirtyDave1990

I think you were over watering the seedlings and thats why they died.. :( too much watering..

I did think that this may have been an issue too I was afraid of letting it get too dry. In your opinion should I alter the soil so they’re not getting nutrients right away or just water less?

Madmax

Madmax

What is the light your using.they are pretty delicate at the beginning .usually if its too much water they usually die before growing out there first set of leaves..we dont have your potting mixes in oz but it should have reasonable drainage straight out of the bag...you should b able to get a seed raising mix..use a mist bottle..i only put my seeds down 6mm in soil.

DirtyDave1990

DirtyDave1990

What is the light your using.they are pretty delicate at the beginning .usually if its too much water they usually die before growing out there first set of leaves..we dont have your potting mixes in oz but it should have reasonable drainage straight out of the bag...you should b able to get a seed raising mix..use a mist bottle..i only put my seeds down 6mm in soil.

im camping right now so I don’t have the exact light but it’s a very small little led light usually used for seedlings or supplemental light for a plant that doesn’t get quite enough from a window.

quirk

quirk

what do you mean by make a solo cup hole? Like cut the bottom of a solo cup off and put it in the pot Surrounded by the fox farms then fill the solo cup with Coco?

He's saying place a solo cup in your pot, fill your medium around it, remove cup and fill the cup shaped void with coco. This allows for root growth prior to hitting the "hot" FFOF. I simply use FFLW in top third of my pot and a mix of FFOF/HF/perlite amended with a dry organic fertilizer in bottom two thirds. I germ in Jiffy's and transfer to final pre-moistened 5 gal. pot day after sprout. When they're young I water with a condiment squeeze bottle in a circular fashion, radiating out from drip line to edge of pot.Just what works for me. Good luck DirtyDave.

IMG 20200318 183150524 HDR
IMG 20200318 183622125 HDR
JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I've never used fox farms soil but I've been hearing this same story for 20years.

Foxfarms soil is not for the new grower. The guys who use it are very experienced and can catch a problem as soon as it arises.

Depending on your location get a bag of promix without any nutrients and then get some fertilizer that you mix with water.

I start my seeds in a shot glass of rain water drop in mY seeds and watch when I noticed they cracked they then go into soil or a Rockwell cube depending on if they are for my soil garden or my hydrogarden.

No notes for the first 2 weeks on average then start at 1/8 strength increasing by 1/12 every feeding watching for burn on leaves.

In my dwc my water starts at 1/4 strength and up it when I top up little by little.

I feed every watering unless I'm flushing for whatever reason.

That's my procedure it works for me. Practice makes perfect prepare to lose some and then learn from them mistakes.

Never give up!

DirtyDave1990

DirtyDave1990

This is the light I was using. It’s 10 watts per head 30 watts total. I think they weren’t getting enough light. After more research I read about stretching and they definitely did that. They were getting very tall and lengthy and seemed unstable. I have a 600 w led with directions for seedlings saying to keep it 36 inches away and they should be fine. The 600w one is made by maxisun. I’m thinking on just following the directions on the 600w one for my next seedlings as well as watching my watering. Thoughts on the light?

5E6D92E6 55E0 4367 B55B D7E15A0DEC62
quirk

quirk

This is the light I was using. It’s 10 watts per head 30 watts total. I think they weren’t getting enough light. After more research I read about stretching and they definitely did that. They were getting very tall and lengthy and seemed unstable. I have a 600 w led with directions for seedlings saying to keep it 36 inches away and they should be fine. The 600w one is made by maxisun. I’m thinking on just following the directions on the 600w one for my next seedlings as well as watching my watering. Thoughts on the light?

Your 600w LED is actual 134w and I would start out at 30" and lower if your seedlings stretch or raise if they show light stress.

Top Bottom