Product Comparisons: WHY PAY MORE FOR A CUTESY LABEL???

• Thread starter sky high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sky high

sky high

Greetings Fellow Farmers!

We all know that there are gardening/ horticultural products out there that are repackaged and marketed to Mj growers at FAR HIGHER PRICES than they can be purchased for elsewhere. MANY times these are the >same< items or a slight variation of that item that have been repacked with cutesy animal pics/names or with names that lead the grower into thinking they are somehow "pot specific", and therefore, somehow worth FAR MORE.

THIS THREAD WILL SERVE TO SHOWCASE SUCH PRODUCTS

If you have found items that are "like"....or are VERY similar, please add them to this thread WITH PICTURES OF >>ALL<< PRODUCT LABELS as PROOF of your claim.

PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMENTARY ABOUT YOUR LIKE OR DISLIKE OF A PRODUCT/ETC. AND CLOG UP THE INFORMATION OFFERED BY EACH GROWER!

THE PURPOSE IS TO LIST GARDENING/GROWING/ACCESSORY PRODUCTS THAT ARE THE >>SAME<< THAT CAN BE PURCHASED FOR FAR LESS OUTSIDE THE "HYDROPONICS" INDUSTRY.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE 2 OR MORE LABELS TO COMPARE AS YOUR SHOW OF PROOF THAT THE PRODUCT IS THE SAME/SIMILAR....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

sky high

sky high

Comparing "Microbes"

Check the label of the DIEHARD Starter Mix and compare to:

Advanced Nutrients- "Tarantula", Pirhana, and "Voodoo juice"
"Great White"

Note the AMOUNTS of microbes offered in each product as well the the final cost

you can buy 1 POUND of STARTER MIX for under $30

1 POUND of Great white or AN will cost upwards of $800!!

http://www.horticulturalalliance.com

DIEHARD™ STARTER MIX

>DIEHARD Mycorrhizal Inoculants and Microflora Stimulants>DIEHARD™ Starter Mix

Non Plant Food Ingredients

Endomycorrhizal Fungus
75 Propagules per cc. Glomus mosseae (15), Glomus intraradices (15), Glomus fasciculatum (15), Glomus dussii (7.5), Glomus clarum (7.5), Glomus deserticola (7.5), Glomus microaggregatum (7.5).
Ectomycorrhizal Fungus
2,080,000 spores per cc to include: Pisolithus tinctorius (1,788,800) and Rhizopogon (291,200).
Fulvic Acid Plant-derived mineral
Trichoderma 24,960,000 CFU’s per cc to include: Genus Trichoderma (6 species), Gliocladium virens (2 strains), Trichoderma. Harzianum (2 strains), Trichoderma Viride (2 strains).
Phosphate Solubilizing, Nitrogen Fixing and Growth Promoting Bacteria. 16,640,000 CFU’s per cc to include:
GENUS BACILLUS: (32 SPECIES)
Bacillus azotofixans (2 strains)
Bacillus azotoformans (3 strains)
Bacillus polymyza (5 strains)
Bacillus thuringiensis (2 strains)
Bacillus licheniformis (6 strains)
Bacillus pumulis (2 strains)
Bacillus subtilla (10 strains)
Bacillus megaterium (2 strains)
GENUS PSEUDOMONAS: (2 SPECIES)
Pseudomonas aureofaceans (2 strains)
GENUS STREPTOMYCES (2 SPECIES)
Streptomyces lydicus (2 strains)
2% Humic Acid Derived from Leonardite
19% Sea Kelp Extract (Ascophyllum Nodosum)
4% Yucca Plant Extract (Yucca Schidigera)
4% Co-Polymer (Crossed linked acrylamide and potassium acrylate)

first picture below is Tarantula powder
second is Pirahana powder
third is voodoo juice
fourth is great white

Piranha GA bg
TarantulaPowder GA bg
VooDooJuice GA bg
Sa250infopic2 new
sky high

sky high

Gnatrol vs. Microbe-Lift BTI

Gnatrol is a popular gnat control sold in hydro outlets.

Cost 129.95 for 2.5 gallons. Directions say to use 16-32 oz. per 100 gallons of water for a "light' infestation. At the minimum dose, 2.5 gallons will treat 2000 gallons of water....1000 gallons for a "heavy' infestation.

Microbe-Lift is the same bti ingredient, sold at pond/fish stores. It is FAR more concentrated. Directions say 6 DROPS per 100 gallons/2.5 ML for 1000 gallons

a 6 0z bottle willl treat 72000 gallons for about 20 DOLLARS

link to Gnatrol pdf. label

Lg 19570 27898D
B

Bobby Smith

Is this thread only for nutes/insecticides/perishable items, etc., or is this for equipment as well?

S

smokestack23

WOW!! AWESOMEFUCKIN thread!!

Thanks SO much for the info on the Starter Mix. 4oz of Great White is around $40. The SM is like 1/8th of the price.

anyone have experience with it?

Thanks again for that and now I'm gonna look into the next post about the gnatrol.

I hope this thread gets FILLED with great bargains and substitutes.
I'll be checking back constantly...or sub if I can figure out how.

vaporedout

vaporedout

i just found this gem, i picked it up at my local grocery store for 5.99, i only used maybe 1/2 this last grow around (7 plants, veg for month) and i used it on almost every water, and it didnt burn. now theres another similar brand there that is a bloom, and it says in very big letters "0 nitrogen" but i cant tell if its organic, and its only like 6.99.

Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5 1 1 gal
S

smokestack23

Greetings Fellow Farmers!

If you have found items that are "like"....or are VERY similar, please add them to this thread WITH PICTURES OF >>ALL<< PRODUCT LABELS as PROOF of your claim.

PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMENTARY ABOUT YOUR LIKE OR DISLIKE OF A PRODUCT/ETC. AND CLOG UP THE INFORMATION OFFERED BY EACH GROWER!

THE PURPOSE IS TO LIST GARDENING/GROWING/ACCESSORY PRODUCTS THAT ARE THE >>SAME<< THAT CAN BE PURCHASED FOR FAR LESS OUTSIDE THE "HYDROPONICS" INDUSTRY.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE 2 OR MORE LABELS TO COMPARE AS YOUR SHOW OF PROOF THAT THE PRODUCT IS THE SAME/SIMILAR....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Come on man...let's see the products that the "generic" brands compare to and vise versa.

I "THINK" what sky high is saying is that you shouldn't just post an item and say it's great. We're trying to figure out what products are available that are the SAME or very similar to existing products that are aimed at raping mmj growers.

post your product description, pics, ingredients AND post the product that it compares to that is overpriced and aimed at marijuana growing...along with pics, description and ingredients.

sky high

sky high

Smokestack is right on with the intent of the thread.

COMPARE PRODUCTS AND OFFER PROOF...don't just puss out and say "This is the best/this is what you want"

Such OPINION has no basis in fact. The intent of this thread is to show that a product is the SAME OR BETTER than another HIGHER PRICED item sold specifically to MMJ growers.

s h

B

Bobby Smith

Smokestack is right on with the intent of the thread.

COMPARE PRODUCTS AND OFFER PROOF...don't just puss out and say "This is the best/this is what you want"

Such OPINION has no basis in fact. The intent of this thread is to show that a product is the SAME OR BETTER than another HIGHER PRICED item sold specifically to MMJ growers.

s h

Still waiting to hear if we can post equipment comparisons here or not..........I have some "generic" stuff that is identical to "rebranded" hydro gear for a lot less money.

budboy299

budboy299

Not sure if sky high is ok with it or not bobby, but you could always do a seperate thread with a similar equipment comparison title. I know I for one would love to hear what you come up with. -BB

sky high

sky high

Sorry Bobby!

YES. >>>>>ANYTHING WE USE IN OUR QUEST TO GROW DA HERB IS GAME!<<<<<

let's see what ya got!

B

Bobby Smith

All right, here goes nothing - wanting to get a cool coil for my reservoir and a a watercooled CO2 generator for my grow space, but didn't want to pay the astronomical prices they wanted for them from HydroInnovations (and they stopped making natural gas CO2 generators, anyways).

$139 for the cool coil -

$339 for the generator -

So, I did a little research, and decided that I'd rather get a beer wort chiller (which the cool coil is a branded version of) like this for a lot cheaper (I actually went with the 50' version, giving me 150% of the cooling power for 65% of the price of the "branded" HydroInnovations model):

$54 (and five feet longer) -

$179 -

If you'll notice, the products are identical, except one says "Marey" and one says "Hydrogen" on the front.

I actually got the 16L model in a natural gas version, but since most use propane I thought I'd throw that link up.

If running drain to waste off of a pressurized water supply, you need to buy this piece from them:

$70 -

Orrrrrrr, you can go on Ebay and buy it for a little bit cheaper :)

$35 (half the price) -

Total cost for the three "brand name" parts - $550
Total cost for three unbranded parts - $270, or a little less than half.

EDIT: here's a video of the three of them in action if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWTX5CqEALw

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Come on man...let's see the products that the "generic" brands compare to and vise versa.

I "THINK" what sky high is saying is that you shouldn't just post an item and say it's great. We're trying to figure out what products are available that are the SAME or very similar to existing products that are aimed at raping mmj growers.

post your product description, pics, ingredients AND post the product that it compares to that is overpriced and aimed at marijuana growing...along with pics, description and ingredients.
That's how I interpret this, but according to his rules I don't think I can participate in this thread. I generally don't use the expensive stuff because I'm too damn cheap to part with the money. So, in his first post he put up some labels of hydro shop products, and while I recognize many of the ingredients in other products *I* use, I can't put up the opposing label, only what I have. So now I'm a little confused and chuckling at stoner reading comprehension.

In any event, in the vein of this thread, I share with you the Dr. Earth Organic 5 (I *think* it's that formula!) label, in doc format only (ok, I have it in odt but most folks don't have OpenOffice) because I didn't take a picture, I copied the parts from the label that I wanted.

My local supplier no longer gets Dr. Earth, now they have Gardener & Bloom, if a whole label photo is preferred I can get that at a later time.

DrEarth microbes
sky high

sky high

yer makin' it too hard, IMO.

It'd be great if you personally had experience using both the hydro store product and the cheaper alternative product to compare....but it isn't necessary. you can still go out and find pics of the labels/specifications/ingredient listings of popular products that COST MORE to compare your cheaper offering to for proof that we are comparing "Apples to Oranges'...as they say....

It's all about PRODUCT COMPARISONS and lowering the final costs for the grower.

s h

Top Bottom