Product Is Super Dark Lately. Could It Be Moisture?

• Thread starter 2highdro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

2highdro

Pretty new to CLS. Have about 15 runs under my belt with a pretty straight forward passive mkiii setup. My product is turning in to this dark, dark (not green) brown nucleated sugar shitfest.. it's delicious after flipping a bunch over 4-5 days at 98F, but it's ugly.

I saw a bit of condensation when looking down the sight glass to time my flood, and within a minute of throwing the lever, I saw what looked like the bottom 1/4" of my collection pot was filling with water, and that I saw condensation on the walls of my spool. Definitely getting a filter drier for now, but will a $2-300 molecular sieve work much better with butane or blends?

2highdro

is there a particular media I should be using and how often should I be replacing it?

Graywolf

Graywolf

I used a mix of 4 & 5A, and how often you regenerate them through baking, depends on frequency of use.

I replace them when they start falling apart, usually after a dozen heat cycles or so, but I don't use them anymore. Too messy and too much dust, so I switched to molded zeolite drier elements and built my own case out of a 6" X 12" 304SS sanitary spool.

I purchased the innards kit for a Sporlan dual 48 filter elements. It can also be regenerated in a vacuum oven, and reused dozens of times. I keep two sets of cores and switch them out daily.

2highdro

Thank you Gray Wolf. Will a Molecular Sieve slow down the flow of solvent?
Will it work right in a passive situation?
Do you have a photo or a parts list/diagram of the filter you built above by chance?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Thank you Gray Wolf. Will a Molecular Sieve slow down the flow of solvent?
Will it work right in a passive situation?
Do you have a photo or a parts list/diagram of the filter you built above by chance?
Anything that restricts flow slows down recovery. The pressure is high enough in a passive system to work, and if you make it large enough, the restriction is minimal.

I can share a photo, but not the WolfWurx plans, because they are the intellectual property of Pharmgold. The peeecture is of a unit on an early VaporHawg test sled, instead of a Terpenator, but gives the best view of it.

It is a cyclone filter drier, in that the inlet is on a tangent, spraying any liquid intake against the outer case wall versus the filter medium. A number of users report that feature saving their bacon, and swearing by them. It was also standard equipment on both the WolfWurx Mk IVC and VC Terpenators, as well as the Pharmgold VaporHawg.

It uses a dual #48 Sporlan filter case kit.

DSC 0032
Top Bottom