• Tagged users None

Progressive Harvest?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
J

JohnnyGrow309

Hi,

I did not top my plants for this harvest. The main Cola is the tallest but I did lightly train them and the other colas are not that far off. However I've been reading about progressive harvests and wonder why more people don't do the same? Cut the tall colas first, dry them a week in advance, lower the lights to get better spread over lower colas and then continue flowering for another week or so until lower colas are perfect. Any objections? Experience? Etc?
Progressive harvest yay or nay

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

It's a perfectly legit way to grow and there are perfectly legit reasons not to do it, too.

Whether someone does it or not will depend on what their plans are for their grow space, and how much they've trimmed lower parts of the plant. If someone has plants ready to go into a flower tent, those plants will probably be harvested all at once. If the lower parts of the plants were kept clean of growing points and there's little or no popcorn, there's no reason to harvest in stages.

In my current grow, I'm going to do both. One plant finished in 7 weeks. I took the top parts of the plant off and I'm letting the rest ripen while other plants are ripening. But I can guarantee that if there's one plant left at 12 weeks, I will be chopping that girl all at once.

J

JohnnyGrow309

It's a perfectly legit way to grow and there are perfectly legit reasons not to do it, too.

Whether someone does it or not will depend on what their plans are for their grow space, and how much they've trimmed lower parts of the plant. If someone has plants ready to go into a flower tent, those plants will probably be harvested all at once. If the lower parts of the plants were kept clean of growing points and there's little or no popcorn, there's no reason to harvest in stages.

In my current grow, I'm going to do both. One plant finished in 7 weeks. I took the top parts of the plant off and I'm letting the rest ripen while other plants are ripening. But I can guarantee that if there's one plant left at 12 weeks, I will be chopping that girl all at once.
Well I'm not a grow tent grower as you can see. That Veggie is 3 feet tall already and I have 200 of them. But I agree yeah after 12 weeks I'm not waiting anymore. I have pink kush and GG4. 8-10 weeks in flower. I will wait 11 if needed but after that they're all going in the dry room.

Any other reasons why not to do it? Because honestly I think it should become the standard

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Funny that I see no flower or are they photoperiod plants? The only time I ever top a plant is if it going to outgrow my light, topping stresses your plants and holds them up for a while, there your plants do as u see fit this is just a personal opinion.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Well I'm not a grow tent grower as you can see. That Veggie is 3 feet tall already and I have 200 of them. But I agree yeah after 12 weeks I'm not waiting anymore. I have pink kush and GG4. 8-10 weeks in flower. I will wait 11 if needed but after that they're all going in the dry room.

Any other reasons why not to do it? Because honestly I think it should become the standard
I'm not aware of any reason not to do it, other than it doesn't fit into a particular schedule or there are no lower buds worth worrying about. What possible problem could it cause?

J

JohnnyGrow309

I'm not aware of any reason not to do it, other than it doesn't fit into a particular schedule or there are no lower buds worth worrying about. What possible problem could it cause?
Since it's my first time doing it I have fears about whether or not cutting it will damage the plants health and thus render the remainder a weak plant incapable of producing anything from then on. But I guess not since it has been done before by others and nobody reported such a thing.

By lower buds nothing to worry about what do you mean? Surely that's because they don't get enough umol. But if progressive Harvest takes off the colas blocking it and you lower the light, surely those buds would become better in the next week or two that you continue to flower no? Cause if they're gonna remain crap then what's the point?

Top Bottom