ProMix BX...what ph to go with?

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

Yeah just wonderin what kinda PH levels Promix users are going with. I have just played it safe so far going 6.3 but I wonder if I should adjust that lower? Most hydro guys are around 5.8-6 and soil guys are 6.5 or so...so somewhere in the middle for soilless was my guess, but that's all it is is a guess.

420king-spaded

mine hovers around 7 but i think thats due to the dolomite lime im using but my water/nutrient water is between 6-6.5 when i feed/water them but still my medium stays at that constant 7 area does any-one have any thoughts on that

hubcap

hubcap

i stay between 6-6.3 when i use promix my dude. ive never gone lower but it might be possible

thats the range i like to be in with BX, as well.

mine hovers around 7 but i think thats due to the dolomite lime im using but my water/nutrient water is between 6-6.5 when i feed/water them but still my medium stays at that constant 7 area does any-one have any thoughts on that

yeah. the added lime is buffering it neutral. or 7. like its supposed ta.

M

MASSES 420KING

thank you hub cap i tried to explain that to him but he didnt want 2 believe me yet i have never steered him wrong

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
i stay between 6-6.3 when i use promix my dude. ive never gone lower but it might be possible

Dead nuts my bro. I put in 6. Run-off water will be a little higher. 6.5 even and have good results.

fred

I

irondonkey

Yeah just wonderin what kinda PH levels Promix users are going with. I have just played it safe so far going 6.3 but I wonder if I should adjust that lower? Most hydro guys are around 5.8-6 and soil guys are 6.5 or so...so somewhere in the middle for soilless was my guess, but that's all it is is a guess.
im sure you aware of this but, i will say it for the new guys..different nutes uptake at different ph levels..good ph 5.2-6.2 i have found..here is a chart for the availability of nutrients at different ph levels, the chart to follow for pro mix is the chart on the right of the page..i got it from high times awhile ago and have followed it with great results..pro mix is a soil less medium..i am no expert by far but, this has worked for me..i grow in 5 gal buckets w/100s of 1/2" holes drilled and lined with nylon screen..they are a cheaper d.i.y. pot to grow in..and you can never over water with these types of pots..i have found that when watering/feeding pro mix do it slowly, i give 1 gal at each watering and pour it a quart at a time to allow the pro mix to absorb the water all the way to the bottom of pot..pro mix is great stuff because you know exactly what the plants are getting at each feeding unless you amend it with bone meal/worm castings etc..regular pro mix should be amended with dolomite lime to buffer ph and 25%-30%perlite for better drainage..i use the bx and the bx has lime and alot more perlite/vermiculite than regular pro mix..this is what is working with me..remember less is best with the nutes until you find what works for your strain/growing conditions, you can always add more nutes later..we use general organics go-box nutes and we feed, feed, feed 75% every watering and its amazing how they grow..i hope this helps you out..its what has worked for us, that and patience..

100 9724
I

irondonkey

What does feed 75% mean? And do you have a pic of the pots with the nylon mesh? Thank you.
sorry, should of clarified exactly what i was speaking of..75%of the recommended nutrient amounts from manufacturer for feeding/watering..i can snap a pic when i get back but, they are 5 gal buckets with hundreds of 1/2" holes drilled all over the bucket 6"down from rim/top of bucket or you can use milk crates with nylon window screen at least doubled..i got the idea of the 5 gal buckets from a friend that is growing in plastic milk crates with the nylon screen inside the milk crates, and the screen air prunes the roots..i cut the screen long enough so it will encircle the inside of the 5 gal buckets 2 times(i have a roll of nylon screen 36" wide)..you may have to hold the screen up with your hand until you get the pro mix in..i have used the earth(fabric type pots)and these work just as good for a fraction of the cost..the screen and buckets are reusable, the screen lasts 2-3 grows and then i cut new screen and fill buckets again..its a low cost method and works good for us..i buy the big black oil change containers and put the 5 gal buckets inside(holds the old oil about 6" high) from the dollar tree(dollar store)for $1 each to catch the runoff when i feed/water..the oil holders will hold about 1 gallon of runoff with the 5 gal buckets sitting inside of them(important when flushing for me because i use a scrog and cannot move plants to flush)..i will try to get a pic soon..theres probably something like it on youtube, some guys on youtube can be very creative....i hope this explains it alil better..i am new to talking and putting words into sentences since smoking this ak48 lol

I

irondonkey

sorry it took a couple days to get this pic to the site but, with the holiday been busy with picnics/family..i had to make a new pot for pictures..as you can see in the pic its pretty simple..the bucket is filled with pro mix bx and about 25-30% added perlite and i add 1 cup of dolomite lime per cu ft of pro mix(3.5 cups per 3.8 cu.ft bale)..works good for us and pots dry fairly fast so i can feed alot faster..once in a blue a root will works its way thru screen and the root will dry(air prune)..i use to use the cloth/fabric pots with handles and i had one that i was taking to tub to flush, well the one handle ripped the side of the container and i had a mess with pro mix/perlite all over the place and my plant took a dive with the fabric pot..plant survived but, that made me never use the cloth pots again(appr 18 months ago)..we have never had a problem with the homemade 5 gal/screen pots..hope the pic gives you a better idea of what i was trying to describe..i want to thank the other guys/growers on the site for all the good info i have gotten...keep it green..

100 9725
I

irondonkey

i have read on alot of sites that people will water there plants when the top 2-3 inches of soil is dry(5-gal bucket growers)..this is a dangerous way of gauging the dryness of the soil/medium because the top 2-3" may be dry but, the bottom of the bucket(bottom 6-8 inches) will be water logged..we use the weight method of feeding/watering, lifting pots to see if they are dry..to prevent root rot..with the 5 gal bucket and screen method it would very hard to over water..thanks

Jack_Baybeh

Jack_Baybeh

I go 5.8. The lime will buffer it back to neutral but the plant has a chance to uptake diff nutes as it drifts through the range of 5.8 to 7. This is perfect ime. Sorry if this has been said already. I didn't read the whole thread. Just giving my opinion. Peace and good growing.

I

irondonkey

I go 5.8. The lime will buffer it back to neutral but the plant has a chance to uptake diff nutes as it drifts through the range of 5.8 to 7. This is perfect ime. Sorry if this has been said already. I didn't read the whole thread. Just giving my opinion. Peace and good growing.
thanks jack, we were discussing cloth/fabric earth pots and the d.i.y. earth type pots using 5gal buckets and nylon mesh window screen, drilling hundreds of 1/2" holes in 5gal bucket..or using milk crates and nylon screen to hold grow medium in milk crate..i had a 7gal cloth earth pot and the handle ripped off and, i had pro mix and plant all over the grow area because the earth pot handle ripped off when moving plant to flush, and we were talking about making our own earth type pots..im using the 5gal bucket w/hundreds of 1/2" holes drilled for drainage and airflow w/nylon screen doubled..do you have any ideas on how to make d.i.y. earth pots..peace

TortureKill

TortureKill

Anyone else using those homemade smart pots with promix? I made some of these using that weed blocker fabric, and chicken wire. I cut the chicken wire to strips and ziptied into cylinder shape, and tied the fabric around the chickenwire, fastening it every few inches, and filled with promix, perlite, compost, EWC, and some other amendments. I have never had better results. I will be using these for a very long time. I just recently started seeing ppl using screen. I think the weed blocker fabric is probably cheaper.. Iron donkey your pots are some what similar to hempy pots am I right? or is the screen and medium allowed to rest right to the btm of your 5gal?

I

irondonkey

Anyone else using those homemade smart pots with promix? I made some of these using that weed blocker fabric, and chicken wire. I cut the chicken wire to strips and ziptied into cylinder shape, and tied the fabric around the chickenwire, fastening it every few inches, and filled with promix, perlite, compost, EWC, and some other amendments. I have never had better results. I will be using these for a very long time. I just recently started seeing ppl using screen. I think the weed blocker fabric is probably cheaper.. Iron donkey your pots are some what similar to hempy pots am I right? or is the screen and medium allowed to rest right to the btm of your 5gal?
torturekill, i put the screen all the way around the pots, including the bottoms..the chicken wire method with the weed blocker fabric sounds like it would work good..and i will try this when the roll of screen runs out(shortly)..i bought the roll of screen for $22 i think and, have made appr. 50 pots..i will never buy another earth pot after one ripping on me and the mess i had..and for the price of 4 earth pots i can make 50 homemade pots and not have to worry about the homemade pots ripping and, hurting one of the lovely ladies again..thanks

TortureKill

TortureKill

Absolutely bro. I feel ya. Same with smart pots. They're insanely expensive, when u figure the cost of making your own. I will make a thread shortly, possibly a tutorial, on how to make these homemade smart pots. I use them primarily for the outdoor season, and I will show u why I get such great results with them.

I

irondonkey

Absolutely bro. I feel ya. Same with smart pots. They're insanely expensive, when u figure the cost of making your own. I will make a thread shortly, possibly a tutorial, on how to make these homemade smart pots. I use them primarily for the outdoor season, and I will show u why I get such great results with them.
i will stay tuned for the details on the pots, i have several friends that experiment with making there own pots from 4x4 wood apple bins to plastic laundry baskets, and the chicken wire is a new one to me. we are always looking for a better idea and this idea sounds good to me..

Latest posts

Top Bottom