Promix vs coco with dry amendments help pls

• Thread starter 2Bad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
2Bad

2Bad

Ok so I’ve been doing coco with synthetic nutes. Next grow I wanted to do a 50/50 grow in my 4x8 of half promix and half coco with dry amendments and earth worm castings

My question is , is coco with dry amendments a waste of time ? Has anyone had success with it ?

Also do you have to dechlorinate and use air stones for your water?

And if u used the dry amendments name the brand of which you used.

I’m thinking Gaia green clear winner since @Shaded_One uses it

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
I would just use promix and cut out the coco personally. I also use Gaia green line of nutrients and used them for 3-4 years now with great success.
When I first started I let my water sit and bubbled it and also phed it. Now I don't do any of those things. But I added extra dolomite lime and oyster shell to my soil to balance ph. I also use blumats so my water end up sitting in my res for long periods of time. I read water declorinates very fast, either that or it has no effect on my organic soil.

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

If you do coco with amendments, you'll need to treat it more like soil and not like coco. @Aqua Man has been commenting on a thread where someone is using amended coco I saw just recently. Maybe he'll drop by to offer advice.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you want to do amendments in coco I highly suggest following Mr.Canuck as he has been doing this very well for a long time now.

Im not up to speed on his methods as im sure he has made some changes since i was looking but yeah thats where id start and end if i were to do this. Dont mix info and follow what he does to a tee

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
If you want to do amendments in coco I highly suggest following Mr.Canuck as he has been doing this very well for a long time now.

Im not up to speed on his methods as im sure he has made some changes since i was looking but yeah thats where id start and end if i were to do this. Dont mix info and follow what he does to a tee
Didn't Mr Canucks try and do coco with dry amendments and do a shitty job?
I seem to remember lots of members on roll it up laughing at people wanting to follow Canucks grows and they would post pics of his burnt to shit plants.
Now I'm pretty sure he has switched to living soil using Gaia green products and is doing well.
Not sure why all these people want to either do organic with coco or mix coco and peat with dry amendments? I just don't get it? If you want to do organic use soil or promix. Lots of people start with fox farm or roots organic and just keep amending and reusing the same soil .
I just bought a bale of promix and mixed my own, it's super easy.
Maybe dry amendments in coco can be done but it's very rare that someone accomplishes it with good results.

Just my 2 cents

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I seem to remember lots of members on roll it up laughing at people wanting to follow Canucks grows and they would post pics of his burnt to shit plants.
Now I'm pretty sure he has switched to living soil using Gaia green products and is doing well.
Not sure why all these people want to either do organic with coco or mix coco and peat with dry amendments? I just don't get it? If you want to do organic use soil or promix. Lots of people start with fox farm or roots organic and just keep amending and reusing the same soil .
Maybe dry amendments in coco can be done but it's very rare that someone accomplishes it with good results.

Just my 2 cents

Yes, he did a very shit job. I am not here to poop on Canucks but anyone with a brain can see his piss poor burned to hell plants from his grows - and there are so many new growers that find his YT videos and want to emulate what he does. What you see at the end are the highlights, angles and lighting with filters that makes it look fancy. Watch the full videos and you'll start to cringe. The period where he was struggling with pH'ing his medium almost made me burst a blood vessel. He struggled with coco/promix for sooooooo long until finallly GG sponsored him and then he started using their GG living soil product.

+1 for everything @PrimoClonesCanada has said here couldn't really have put it better myself

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just my 2 cents
Nah he has done very well, at first there was issues. I agree with you 100% if you want to do organic id going soil or peat based. But if growing indoor organic is for lack of a better word… ridiculous.

Plants DONT take up organic nutrients and thats a fact. The whole organic industry is full of more bulkshit than truth. Organics is great for outdoor grows exposed to the rain and a few other benefits.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Nah he has done very well, at first there was issues. I agree with you 100% if you want to do organic id going soil or peat based. But if growing indoor organic is for lack of a better word… ridiculous.

Plants DONT take up organic nutrients and thats a fact. The whole organic industry is full of more bulkshit than truth. Organics is great for outdoor grows exposed to the rain and a few other benefits.

What are my plants uptaking then? 😁

"The thing with organics is that the microbes in the soil break down the nutrients into a form that the plants can uptake which is vastly different from how synthetics work. With organics you are essentially feeding your soil and your soil feeds your plant." - some random guy somewhere

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What are my plants uptaking then? 😁

"The thing with organics is that the microbes in the soil break down the nutrients into a form that the plants can uptake which is vastly different from how synthetics work. With organics you are essentially feeding your soil and your soil feeds your plant." - some random guy somewhere
How is it vastly different? A nitrate is a nitrate.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

How is it vastly different? A nitrate is a nitrate.
Organics get broken down into synthetic forms by the microbes in your soil. That's how organic nutrients work :p it takes time and energy to break it down to the synthetic form so yeah I'd say that is vastly different

Courtesy of Canucks, October 2021

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Organics get broken down into synthetic forms by the microbes in your soil. That's how organic nutrients work :p it takes time and energy to break it down to the synthetic form so yeah I'd say that is vastly different

View attachment 1262589

Courtesy of Canucks, October 2021
Lol i know how the processes work… the only difference is the processes that break them down n terms of nutrients. Nutrients in organic form cannot be taken up until wother broken down biologically or man made processes. Nutrients in available form are no linger organic

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Lol i know how the processes work… the only difference is the processes that break them down n terms of nutrients. Nutrients in organic form cannot be taken up until wother broken down biologically or man made processes. Nutrients in available form are no linger organic

Correct. But organic nutrients do work, and work well for indoor setups! There is definitely a learning curve and I think a few key items are essential and non-negotiable(earth worm castings or compost, mycorrhizae)

If you want to use coco, go 100% coco
If you want to use "soil" then go promix or living soil

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

An ion is an ion no matter how it was derived.

Organics is about building a soil over time. To grow with organics in a container then throw it out is absurd to me and makes no sense

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Correct. But organic nutrients do work, and work well for indoor setups! There is definitely a learning curve and I think a few key items are essential and non-negotiable(earth worm castings or compost, mycorrhizae)

If you want to use coco, go 100% coco
If you want to use "soil" then go promix or living soil

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I never said it doesnt work… so do inorganic nutrients that are already in salt form but this whole organic is better for you and somehow healthier is absolutely bullshit. There are some benefits as i say but this organic religion that everyone thinks its somehow healthier is bullshit.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

An ion is an ion no matter how it was derived.

Organics is about building a soil over time. To grow with organics in a container then throw it out is absurd to me and makes no sense

That's the beautiful thing about life though. Not everything everybody does has to make sense to you. I can sit here and say the same thing about people who use these bottles of synthetic ferts - it's absurd to me and makes no sense to be so far from nature. But that's just my opinion and it has no impact to other peoples successes or failures. Some people re-use their soil and re-amend etc. I don't have the space time or energy to re-use my soil and I like starting with a clean slate so my used medium gets tossed into my compost bin along with the fabric pot it was grown in.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I disagree that's all.
Yeah we can agree to disagree. But in most cases the organic nutrients you are using are not fully organic and almost all contain some synthetic nutrients

I do organics in my garden im not saying it ms bad. Im saying it’s misunderstood in most cases

2Bad

2Bad

Yeah we can agree to disagree. But in most cases the organic nutrients you are using are not fully organic and almost all contain some synthetic nutrients

I do organics in my garden im not saying it ms bad. Im saying it’s misunderstood in most cases
I think he was just confused when you said plants don’t take up organic nutrients. I know I am. Lol!

Those nutrients still feed the soil though right?

Top Bottom