Pros & Cons of Hydrogen Peroxide in Water

• Thread starter Omaha101
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Phyto

Depends on what you're trying to achieve, and what you're growing in. If it's just watering in soil, then the benefits are short lived, like hours.

Bilber

Bilber

I really ily use it for germination techniques, 20:1 water/peroxide for 12 hour seed soak

Spoiler alert haven’t shown this seed drop on my topic yet 🤣
I also use it for germinating seeds....

I also use it in the Kratky Method of Hydroponics thanks to @jadins_journey ...

70/30ish water/peroxide for seeds....

And I'm still gathering info for the Kratky Method, but every so often I'll drop some in.....

@Mikedin , don't leaf us hanging........🧐

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
O
I also use it for germinating seeds....

I also use it in the Kratky Method of Hydroponics thanks to @jadins_journey ...

70/30ish water/peroxide for seeds....

And I'm still gathering info for the Kratky Method, but every so often I'll drop some in.....

@Mikedin , don't leaf us hanging........🧐

it’s a project and. a half haha
Oh it’s a project and a half, may get it’s own new topic lol, trial and error ofc

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
What are the pros & cons of using hydrogen peroxide in water?

How much is recommended (3-5ml) per gallon?
Increase dissolved oxygen as @Bilber mentioned
Disinfectant, they even come with a sprayer these days
Cleaner, I soak my Hydroton during the cleaning process.

The list can go on but it doesn’t replace good management practices and common sense

Z

Zab

I really ily use it for germination techniques, 20:1 water/peroxide for 12 hour seed soak

Spoiler alert haven’t shown this seed drop on my topic yet 🤣
What percentage is the peroxide you are using prior to diluting it with water? I have 3% and 29%.

Eledin

Eledin

Pros: youre giving them a little bit of extra oxygen in the roots.
Cons: if you have beneficial microorganisms youre gonna fuck them up.
"Hydrogen peroxide is a broad-spectrum disinfectant that inhibits harmful microorganisms while also having an effect on beneficial microorganisms, causing a “vacuum” in the soil."
If I understand the study correctly, even a 1,5% concentration has a bad effect on living microorganisms, and the more it goes up the more it kills. As for what dosage to use if youre not using living microorganisms I have no clue sorry, I do have them so that for me is a no no. Its good for germinating seeds like people said, kills any possible patogen that could affect the seed and the root probably doesnt mind the extra oxygen. Its also good for washing buds after harvest, you have to rinse them off with clear water after though.

Last edited:
O

Omaha101

It’s of some very short term benefit, in that it releases O2 into the soil. It helps oxygenate the roots, but the effect is short lived, it is pretty much degraded in the first few hours.
I had reservations on it, glad I asked. Thanks

O

Omaha101

Pros: youre giving them a little bit of extra oxygen in the roots.
Cons: if you have beneficial microorganisms youre gonna fuck them up.
"Hydrogen peroxide is a broad-spectrum disinfectant that inhibits harmful microorganisms while also having an effect on beneficial microorganisms, causing a “vacuum” in the soil."
If I understand the study correctly, even a 1,5% concentration has a bad effect on living microorganisms, and the more it goes up the more it kills. As for what dosage to use if youre not using living microorganisms I have no clue sorry, I do have them so that for me is a no no. Its good for germinating seeds like people said, kills any possible patogen that could affect the seed and the root probably doesnt mind the extra oxygen. Its also good for washing buds after harvest, you have to rinse them off with clear water after though.

Eledin

Eledin

No worries, unless youre going with synthetics is not worth it, it takes weeks for your microbes once you introduce them to stablish a good colony in your roots. If you want better oxygenation of the roots and you cant use hydrogen peroxide here are some suggestions:
Textile pots if you dont use them already.
The pots could be lifted with a plant rack (sorry dont know the exact name in english) so no runoff water or excess moisture can accumulate on the bottom, if its not lifted you can put an inch or two of clay pebbles or also called arlite on the bottom of the pot, roots will grow through it and you wont have overly wet peat or coco on the bottom.
Perlite! Very cheap, I always add extra. You can also add some clay pebbles to the soil if you buy them for drainage and have extra, theyre even better than perlite for soil areation but also more expensive (still inexpensive), this works for peat or coco. Sometimes if you buy cheap coco bricks your soil might compact a lot because it has more fine dust than other higher quality bricks or bags. (Dont know if this is as true in the USA, but here in Spain is the case).
If youre using peat, add some extra coco aswell unless it comes with it already. If youre buying it in bricks, dont go for the cheapest ones, sometimes they even come with plastics and "extra goodies".
This might sound like a joke but shake the flip out of your water when you mix the nutes and voila, you have more oxygen in your water. Homemade compost teas also help since youre oxygenating the water constantly, way more effective than shaking it but shaking is better than nothing, dont know by how much but I have to do it anyway to mix everything well so might aswell give it a few extra vigorous shakes.

C

C0pperh3ad

I've used it to bring plants back from near death. Not sure what they had, but its usually young clones rt after potting with sudden severe wilt (probably over watering related). I give a straight shot (1/2 cup) of 3% h2o2 and they bounce rt back. Then add some bennies back in next watering

Top Bottom