Pruning Fan Leaves Near Harvest

• Thread starter 510grownewb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
510grownewb

510grownewb

I made the mistake of planting 7 plants to close to each other i have then in a 3x12 enclosure.

I plan on harvesting at the end of October but now I'm worried about the airflow and mold.

Is it too late in the game to start plucking some of the fan leaves to increase airflow and light?

Edit - Its the 2nd pic the other 2 are kf my zittles outside the enclosure.

Pruning fan leaves near harvest
Pruning fan leaves near harvest 2
Pruning fan leaves near harvest 3
Mrmidtown

Mrmidtown

In my experience a few wouldn’t hurt. ESP. If they are yellowed up good. What I done in the past is cut half the leaf away something like this and have had good success with getting more light on them bottom nodes. Just my 2 cents only have about 10 years experience.

510grownewb

510grownewb

In my experience a few wouldn’t hurt. ESP. If they are yellowed up good. What I done in the past is cut half the leaf away something like this and have had good success with getting more light on them bottom nodes. Just my 2 cents only have about 10 years experience.

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm assuming this causes less stress then pulling the entire fan leaf?

H

hawkman

many pull all fan leaves off when you are two days from harvest this will stop the plant in getting liquid from the leaves once that is done harvest 2 day after - this helps getting all the essential oils and terpene's by the loos of it it might take some time

Perception

Perception

Good topic - following.

I often think about this... like right now on my outdoor plants. They could probably benefit from defoliating the lower canopy to prevent Powdery Mildew, but I am hesitant to stress the plant just 2 or 3 weeks from harvest.

H

hawkman

Good topic - following.

I often think about this... like right now on my outdoor plants. They could probably benefit from defoliating the lower canopy to prevent Powdery Mildew, but I am hesitant to stress the plant just 2 or 3 weeks from harvest.
good idea - plus or instead take all the fan leaves that are blocking the light and remove all the lower leaves - remember to feed after this and no more again because you need to flush -When you are about 2-3 days before harvest take all fan leaves off - this makes the plant use produce more essential oil and terpene's this is not stressing the plant the last few days. In south america the farmers bend the branches till they snap and just leave it that way for a few days and then harvest this increase essential oil, ect also

Perception

Perception

good idea - plus or instead take all the fan leaves that are blocking the light and remove all the lower leaves - remember to feed after this and no more again because you need to flush -When you are about 2-3 days before harvest take all fan leaves off - this makes the plant use produce more essential oil and terpene's this is not stressing the plant the last few days. In south america the farmers bend the branches till they snap and just leave it that way for a few days and then harvest this increase essential oil, ect also

Thanks for the tips. On my 8th grow, and I was originally in to letting the plants be to reduce stress, but over the last few grows have incorporated some topping, mainlining, and defoliation (as little as possible), and I’ve found that canopy management and a little defoliation go a long way to improving the harvest and reducing potential for pests and disease! ;)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
open her up and give her some light. AS green as they look losing some big fans isn't going to hurt your harvest. They look like they have more than enough N to reach the finish line. You wont hurt them. Just don't get too hawg wild.

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
open her up and give her some light. AS green as they look losing some big fans isn't going to hurt your harvest. They look like I have more than enough N to reach the finish line. You wont hurt them. Just don't get too hawg wild.
you will thank me come harvest time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom