Pruning lower nodes during stretch?

• Thread starter Jumpingspider
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

I want to know what the good folks here the farm have to say about this strategy:

I noticed that during stretch a lot of side branching occurs as the apical tips develop into buds, and these sucker shoots create a hassle for me when I trim, take away precious resources from the top budsites, and decrease airflow leading to other issues - development and otherwise.

You noticing that the parts of the flower that are touching other flowers get less developed and more leafy?

My theory is that if I prune off every single sucker it will produce a better result, and only sacrifice some yield.

Going to experiment on this. I may or may not follow up in this thread but you can follow my progress in the thread in my signature.

I am in week 1 of 12/12 and intend to keep pruning until week 2 or 3. Or however long it takes to only have apical tops.

So what do you think? Am I going to ruin my yield? Will it be worth it?

Photos for reference.
20210801_220538.jpg
20210801_220549.jpg

Last edited:
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Some people do that so the plant spends it's energy on the tops, what ur refering to is called popcorn bud, me i use all the popcorn and trim with trichome cure and make butter, i just mostly let them do what they want.

20210801 093921
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

But have you ever removed them all as they pop up? Any worry about stressing the plant too much?
I have never gotten a plant to hermie by doing this. They don't seem to care.

I have gotten plants to hermie by topping branches too often, but plants seem a lot less concerned about having their legs shaved.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Yeah thanks you guys for weighing in.

I feel like doing as little post- processing on this run as possible including making hash or cannabutter so I have no use for the popcorn or larf so i figure I might as well just nip it in the bud. Lol

VinnieV

VinnieV

Ive never had a problem first couple of weeks and I tend to trim bottom 1/3 at least from flip. And my yield is healthy!

I run full room with trellis though so the more I do before stretch hits the netting the better as I won’t have a chance in hell of getting in there afterwards

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Ive never had a problem first couple of weeks and I tend to trim bottom 1/3 at least from flip. And my yield is healthy!

I run full room with trellis though so the more I do before stretch hits the netting the better as I won’t have a chance in hell of getting in there afterwards
Thanks for your input. I'm actually going a step further.. I'm removing something closer to 95% of the nodes and leaving many fan leaves. Although the super majority of the pruning has been completed during veg and on day 1 of 12/12, i anticipate that a few side branches will undoubtedly form and shoot out away from the apical top, and that are going to be clipped in the next coming week or 2.

Should be an interesting experiment

VinnieV

VinnieV

Thanks for your input. I'm actually going a step further.. I'm removing something closer to 95% of the nodes. Although the super majority of the pruning has been completed during veg and on day 1 of 12/12, i anticipate that a few side branches will undoubtedly form and shoot out away from the apical top, and that are going to be clipped in the next coming week or 2.

That does sound interesting!
I once tried putting in a plant that was fully stripped except for two top nodes after it had been topped (it was left in veg room for a couple weeks in darkness after being stripped for clones). I assume it never would’ve flowered without herming because of the stress however I threw it in flower anyway - it sprouted some serious big potential colas before I kicked it out fearing herming and pollinating the girls.
Growth was surprising so I’ll be interested to hear how you get on!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thanks for your input. I'm actually going a step further.. I'm removing something closer to 95% of the nodes and leaving many fan leaves. Although the super majority of the pruning has been completed during veg and on day 1 of 12/12, i anticipate that a few side branches will undoubtedly form and shoot out away from the apical top, and that are going to be clipped in the next coming week or 2.

This is a solid strategy. I've used it myself a couple times, just leave the top growing tip and one or two below it, and remove the lower 1/3 of the plants leaves to improve airflow. They will just sap nutrients that would otherwise go to the growing tips.

euphoria526

euphoria526

It’s my understanding you do that the day of flipping and then again on day 21 but leave it growing between these times. That’s what I plan on doing anyways when I get to day 21 of flower. Strip anything that hasn’t reached the canopy level and/or covering bud sites

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It’s my understanding you do that the day of flipping and then again on day 21 but leave it growing between these times. That’s what I plan on doing anyways when I get to day 21 of flower. Strip anything that hasn’t reached the canopy level and/or covering bud sites
Exactly. You're better off with 2 hard prunings rather than constantly removing stuff little by little.

The way I've done it before and will again next grow is to top plants to produce the number of branches I want, then when those branches are the size I want I strip all the side nodes off them leaving just the tip and the top 2/3 of leaves. I flip the same day. 3 weeks later, clean up the bottom again removing anything below the main canopy, and remove a good amount of leaves from within the canopy to allow max light penetration.
Won't touch them after that until harvest

VinnieV

VinnieV

Exactly. You're better off with 2 hard prunings rather than constantly removing stuff little by little.

The way I've done it before and will again next grow is to top plants to produce the number of branches I want, then when those branches are the size I want I strip all the side nodes off them leaving just the tip and the top 2/3 of leaves. I flip the same day. 3 weeks later, clean up the bottom again removing anything below the main canopy, and remove a good amount of leaves from within the canopy to allow max light penetration.
Won't touch them after that until harvest
I wish I could get the day 21 defol haha. So much fluff. But hey, dry ice hash!

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

Im on day 19 flower and going for full top canopy myself so I tend to agree with pruning lower stuff that won't get much light in this scenario. I did day 0 schwazze and they were already lollipop and super cropped before that. I need to get in there and prune out new little stuff under canopy that grew back since flip, the stuff that would make larf. Top buds are my priority right now as they are the most dense and potent, and really where most the harvested weight comes from anyway.
I should add that I'm working with 5 some month vegged plants lol they're big girls

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Anything to back this up? Reasoning? Example?

I'm not trying to start debating I'm genuinely curious about where you're drawing this conclusion from.

Seems like it would be much better to pluck the suckers as soon as possible to force the plant to focus all energy on the tops all the time.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Anything to back this up? Reasoning? Example?

I'm not trying to start debating I'm genuinely curious about where you're drawing this conclusion from.

Seems like it would be much better to pluck the suckers as soon as possible to force the plant to focus all energy on the tops all the time.
Nothing other than personal observation, so take it with a grain of salt. I used to think the same as you but ive tried several different ways and found that if you pluck the suckers too young, they very often grow back requiring a second pruning. So it's somewhat of a labor saving measure to do it at once rather than ongoing. But I also find they just grow faster in the first few weeks if I keep my hands off them.
That said, a branchy strain might require more attention. Something like a monster cropped plant, for sure you gotta stay on tip of.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Nothing other than personal observation, so take it with a grain of salt. I used to think the same as you but ive tried several different ways and found that if you pluck the suckers too young, they very often grow back requiring a second pruning. So it's somewhat of a labor saving measure to do it at once rather than ongoing. But I also find they just grow faster in the first few weeks if I keep my hands off them.
That said, a branchy strain might require more attention. Something like a monster cropped plant, for sure you gotta stay on tip of.
Thanks, man. Your example is totally valid. I'll keep my eye out for re-grow of lower branches. Looks like it's happening but I'm in here looking at plants every day and I only have 4 so it's easy to manage.

20210802 222205
Top Bottom