Pulse One Hygrometer & Vpd Monitor

• Thread starter JWM2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I just got some Pulse One hygrometers & VPD monitors in the mail. They sent me a couple to test out.

I will be setting these up shortly and will post pics and possibly some videos showing the setup and use of them.

I’ll update this thread over time and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Kudos to https://getpulse.co/buy/ for the Pulse One tester units.

These will allow me to get my grow spaces dialed in perfectly as we all know how important VPD is to maintaining optional growing environments.

Pulse one hygrometer  vpd monitor

Pulse one hygrometer  vpd monitor 2

H

Highkev

Wow this unit is sweet gonna get me a few
I just got some Pulse One hygrometers & VPD monitors in the mail. They sent me a couple to test out.

I will be setting these up shortly and will post pics and possibly some videos showing the setup and use of them.

I’ll update this thread over time and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Kudos to https://getpulse.co/buy/ for the Pulse One tester units.

These will allow me to get my grow spaces dialed in perfectly as we all know how important VPD is to maintaining optional growing environments.

View attachment 859680
View attachment 859681
wow this will work great for my situation rounding up money for a few

H

Highkev

Wow this unit is sweet gonna get me a few

wow this will work great for my situation rounding up money for a few
It measures VPD (vapor pressure deficit. I never even heard of that

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
65D3DEAC C456 4C37 A0EC CD0D4743141C

It actually measures: Temp, RH, VPD and Light. Pretty cool. I have them on my site TheGrowingShop.com and we drop ship from the manufacturer. But feel free to buy from their banner at the bottom of pretty much every page on THCFarmer :-)

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I do like the light measuring feature. I’m going to have to play with that some and report back my findings. I’m not sure how it works yet so I won’t go into detail until I get a chance to test it out. The VPD feature is nice though. I just need to read up and mess with it some more before I know exactly how to interpret the data.

H

Highkev

View attachment 859688

It actually measures: Temp, RH, VPD and Light. Pretty cool. I have them on my site TheGrowingShop.com and we drop ship from the manufacturer. But feel free to buy from their banner at the bottom of pretty much every page on THCFarmer :)
Light says 25%? 25% what?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Light says 25%? 25% what?

I don’t have it setup in my grow space. It’s in my living room. I’m not sure what that means right now. I’m trying to find some more info on the data. I’m guessing it’s sensing the low light level of my living room. I’ll see how it reads when it’s in its spot in my grow rack.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
View attachment 859688

It actually measures: Temp, RH, VPD and Light. Pretty cool. I have them on my site TheGrowingShop.com and we drop ship from the manufacturer. But feel free to buy from their banner at the bottom of pretty much every page on THCFarmer :)

I picked up two of them over the last couple of weeks as well, and will be buying a third on payday. One for each cabinet and one for the room itself. I love the info provided they seem to be well worth the $$. Now we see how long they last.

I have dialed in the grow closet and i'm working on the flower closet now. As someone else mentioned, i was close (in the yellow portion of the curve chart). However i can see what would have been the difference had i been in the green zone during more of the grow.

Will be using it more for this next grow, if i can get the damn seeds to pop.

Later.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Sorry for the delay. Just got them set up in my grow space.

I will say the setup process is a tad cumbersome but after a few tries and some tweaking it does work. It’s just a bit annoying to pair to your phone.

The lack of a native iOS or android app has me concerned. The web based app they have is going to be dependent on their ability to keep this device alive and to do that they are going to have to move some units to keep revenue going. That’s really not something unique to this device but all cloud based devices that do something similar. I would really like to see a device that can communicate with your phone directly instead of through a cloud based service. But that’s not a big deal if this keeps working.

That being said the web app they provide is nice in some regards but also very lacking in terms of how the information is presented. I would really like to see some sort of instruction manual that shows how to utilize the web app to its fullest potential.

The VPD and light monitoring features are nice and it’s hard to find those in any other similar device.

One really annoying feature is the need for it to be plugged in via usb cable and 110v to 5vdc converter. It reminds me of a phone charging block but due to this it requires another outlet or extension cable to be run to your already crowded surge protector. The addition of a battery would be nice and there is a nifty little note inside what looks like a battery compartment that a battery update/add-on could come in the future. To me this note while somewhat cute is yet another reminder that there is work to be done before this device can be considered perfect.

The performance so far has been fine. I haven’t been using it long enough to gauge so I’ll update this in a week with more thoughts on the device.

On the upside I do now have VPD monitoring and a real VPD number to use when fine tuning my environmental conditions. So for what it’s worth that feature could make it worth the price of admission for most growers who aren’t very familiar with VPD and how it’s calculated.

Anyhow I’ll post more info and thoughts over the course of the next week or two.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
13A743CD E56C 49D8 B185 30D875BC3571
998E3B4B 03EA 4144 9970 43BC9EE72FAC

Here’s some photos of the govee hygrometers I’ve been using. These are $75/ea for the WiFi version.

6B8DF9B2 DB57 4945 8ADD 970F3DA1DC36

WiFi + Bluetooth Version - $75:

Bluetooth Only - $49:

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok I’ve totally changed my mind on the Pulse One. After using it for a few more days I must say this thing is a god send. Seriously. To be able to monitor your VPD is a game changer. The ideal VPD is between 1.0 and 1.5 and I’ve found my grow going outside this range on numerous occasions. I’ve since incorporated a dehumidifier that I can control remotely from anywhere so if I see my VPD dip down below 1.0 I can crank it up and wham I’m back in the zone. And my plants are absolutely loving it. I’m getting ideal growth now where I was struggling in the past. My plants are growing so quickly they need to be trimmed, topped, bent or twisted on a daily basis to keep them in check. I had no idea my VPD was so far out of range at various times of the day. I now have soft supple growth in every corner of my rack from top to bottom. My plants are perspiring like they should and eating up nutrients like there’s no tomorrow.

I’ve always been a big proponent of dialing in your grow environment and this handy tool makes that possible on a whole nother level. Is it worth $200? Last week I would have said no there’s no way. Today I stand corrected. It is absolutely worth the money. Sure it would be nice to get one cheaper. I think at $99 these would be in every grow space in the country and maybe world. But for now I’m a firm believer even at the $199 price tag.

These are available on thegrowingshop.com as well as the getpulse.co website. Well done Pulse One, well done!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
524354BC 283B 4413 817D E08433BA3709

Here’s a leaf that just fell off. It’s late into flowering. As you can see there’s no signs of deficiency other than nitrogen which at week 7 is exactly what you want to see. The chlorophyll is gone completely. This leaf was green less than a week ago. Having the proper VPD has helped make this possible.

Here’s the backside. No purpling stem no blotches from magnesium or calcium deficiency. Just solid results.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

View attachment 863646

Here’s a leaf that just fell off. It’s late into flowering. As you can see there’s no signs of deficiency other than nitrogen which at week 7 is exactly what you want to see. The chlorophyll is gone completely. This leaf was green less than a week ago. Having the proper VPD has helped make this possible.

View attachment 863647

Here’s the backside. No purpling stem no blotches from magnesium or calcium deficiency. Just solid results.

Nice work! But i have to admit I would feed that nitrogen deficient plant for better results. I did cuttings side by side many times and the medium green healthy plant to the end always had better yield, flavor and potency. The faded plants had less of everything.

We just confirmed this again with BLT 3. She was still green and still trying to get light when we harvested.

10 days later right off the vine so to speak. Pretty smooth and delicious already.

The fading myth must come from overfeeding pk. When I did that i felt i had to stop feeding amd switch to water only sooner.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
It’s just a fan leaf. The cola leaves are still green. It was a leaf that should have been defoliated but wasn’t. The main point I was trying to convey is that the plant is feeding properly and transpiring as it should due in part because the VPD is on point. Sure I could hit it with nitrogen but it’s less than a week from chop. I like to utilize the nutrients I add to the soil and not leave too much behind. No flush required just tap water the last week or so.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Part of deficiency that most folks don’t realize is the lack of proper transpiration. If the plant is not uptaking moisture as quickly as it should then it won’t get the nutrients and micro nutrients it needs and then shows deficiencies when in reality the nutrients are there just not being mobilized due to a low VPD.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
5E345589 3CE2 460A 866B C37E259EB565

Before obtaining the Pulse One monitors I had no idea my VPD was dipping down as low as .6 at times which is dangerously low. Since I now have an easy way to keep track I can keep my VPD in the 1.0-1.5 range and growth keeps rocking. It’s a vital tool to have imo and helps keep you from chasing your tail when it’s environmental conditions causing the issues. In fact I’d wager to say it might be the most important single tool to have in your grow. More so than a ph or ppm meter (in soil) as the results are immediate and very noticeable. The plants seem and feel much happier than ever before and that’s saying a lot.

Don’t get me wrong I think ph and ppm meters are handy to have but this can help anyone dial in their environment wether they grow in soil, hydro or coco and get better results immediately.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Part of deficiency that most folks don’t realize is the lack of proper transpiration. If the plant is not uptaking moisture as quickly as it should then it won’t get the nutrients and micro nutrients it needs and then shows deficiencies when in reality the nutrients are there just not being mobilized due to a low VPD.

I dont follow vpd charts. Plants are adaptable to a wide range of humidity.

I worry about keeping it under 60% more.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It’s just a fan leaf. The cola leaves are still green. It was a leaf that should have been defoliated but wasn’t. The main point I was trying to convey is that the plant is feeding properly and transpiring as it should due in part because the VPD is on point. Sure I could hit it with nitrogen but it’s less than a week from chop. I like to utilize the nutrients I add to the soil and not leave too much behind. No flush required just tap water the last week or so.

My tests included fan leaves. And i rarely remove a leaf.

I am willing to keep them healthy and let them grow and flower longer. When i ran the clones faded plants finished sooner and less frosty. Green plants grew up to 2 weeks longer and more bud and trichomes result.

And not just potency but fuller effects and longer legs.

Top Bottom