Purpl Scientific - Purpl PRO Kit : BS OR Accurate/reliable mobile test tool for non lab base?

• Thread starter Burned Haze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Burned Haze

Well I would love to have a mobile version ( and if this thing is bs, hopefully it will be here someday, cause I def will get one lol )of testing my buds to know which ones are the most potent are worth spending the extra cash to be ā€œ sent to the cert labsā€

my question .. is this tool just giving out bs numbers of doing stupid crap that is really meaning less to a grower to know the real potency ? Cause I would truly hate spending $1,500 on a box that all it is usb cord to my iPhone random numbers/or is quite inaccurate ( imagine if your trying to do a mass amount of strains and itā€™s giving you false results every time even if itā€™s same pheno/strain...) to the facts . I realize ( like submit your meds to a club/ or get approval but thatā€™s not what I was trying to do)I canā€™t use the results as ā€œ lab results ā€œ but it helps a grower choose which phenoā€™s and genetics if your doings lots which ones are better truely ( lab testing cost a lot and time consuming )

(Doing lab tests)If your trying to do 30-100 phenoā€™s per season per say,it would add up or make you not wanna lab test for that 20-50+ Each bucks and time of doing it.....

(Iā€™m in no ways reping them or adverting them, just wanted to see the true view of others growers cause only ā€œ growers house and 1 on their whole saler sells it)

Letā€™s discuss !

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan789

Dan789

Well I would love to have a mobile version ( and if this thing is bs, hopefully it will be here someday, cause I def will get one lol )of testing my buds to know which ones are the most potent are worth spending the extra cash to be ā€œ sent to the cert labsā€

my question .. is this tool just giving out bs numbers of doing stupid crap that is really meaning less to a grower to know the real potency ? Cause I would truly hate spending $1,500 on a box that all it is usb cord to my iPhone random numbers/or is quite inaccurate ( imagine if your trying to do a mass amount of strains and itā€™s giving you false results every time even if itā€™s same pheno/strain...) to the facts . I realize ( like submit your meds to a club/ or get approval but thatā€™s not what I was trying to do)I canā€™t use the results as ā€œ lab results ā€œ but it helps a grower choose which phenoā€™s and genetics if your doings lots which ones are better truely ( lab testing cost a lot and time consuming )

(Doing lab tests)If your trying to do 30-100 phenoā€™s per season per say,it would add up or make you not wanna lab test for that 20-50+ Each bucks and time of doing it.....

(Iā€™m in no ways reping them or adverting them, just wanted to see the true view of others growers cause only ā€œ growers house and 1 on their whole saler sells it)

Letā€™s discuss !
Am also in the market for something that will test THC levels, thought about the Tcheck unit, which at $279 is a much lower hurdle than the "Purpl pro", but still meaningless if it doesn't work. I can purchase lots of seeds instead...

Dan789

Dan789

I also would like to hear from the community as far as what they use, of if itā€™s anything on anyoneā€™s radar...We canā€™t be the only two whoā€™ve been intrigued by this home testing concept...

B

Burned Haze

I also would like to hear from the community as far as what they use, of if itā€™s anything on anyoneā€™s radar...We canā€™t be the only two whoā€™ve been intrigued by this home testing concept...

I wish I could find the device but there was a mobile device that was suppose to do this ( I think it was released like 1-2 yearsish) but people after buying it disproved it being bs (showing quite diff results even if it was same bud and so forth , I think the device was in the range of 1000-1500 range so it wasnā€™t like a 10 buck thing and it should of worked /been tested )

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Tcheck II has been getting terrible results..many complain they get an "over" message with anything they test, and never the same reading on the same strain. The way they attempted to get people to drop $$ before the product was even ready looked shady and I thankfully passed.

B

Burned Haze

Tcheck II has been getting terrible results..many complain they get an "over" message with anything they test, and never the same reading on the same strain. The way they attempted to get people to drop $$ before the product was even ready looked shady and I thankfully passed.

Discussion def saves a lot of people from getting screwed if we can find it the truth ? Letā€™s find some reviews and if anyone has tried it any of similar or that brand ( whatā€™s up? How is it?)

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Letā€™s discuss !

Haven't heard a whole lot about testers but seen a few ads. Way out of my budget (I'm married, with children). I've wondered why the shops don't have one by now. If they ever do figure one out and sell it for $25 or less count me in. For me, and I would assume most of us it would just be for curiosity. Now those presses are getting my attention. After trying a hair straightener I'd be game for a real one. They seem to have those figured out and one of my local dispensaries offers to press your flower order. Clean resin is sweet.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lab results from the certified labs here have been all over the place. No testing standards are in place.

I would think that a phone app would be even less accurate. And not honered by any dispensary or clinic.

And $1500 for a little chip in a box and some software? Cmon.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Discussion def saves a lot of people from getting screwed if we can find it the truth ? Letā€™s find some reviews and if anyone has tried it any of similar or that brand ( whatā€™s up? How is it?)
https://www.amazon.com/tCheck-Home-Infusion-Potency-Tester-x/dp/B074HSK4L9#customerReviews

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Good info. Two reviews on Amazon, both 1 star, and I enjoyed the discussion on the link. Unless one is producing for resale or a is a resaller I don't see a need, just take a couple of tokes and see what happens. šŸ˜‰
https://www.amazon.com/tCheck-Home-Infusion-Potency-Tester-x/dp/B074HSK4L9#customerReviews

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So one guy said it works and 2 said it doesnt.

And its unavailable on amazon and they didnt offer a return authorization.

Sounds about right for crap marketed to stoners.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

So one guy said it works and 2 said it doesnt.

And its unavailable on amazon and they didnt offer a return authorization.

Sounds about right for crap marketed to stoners.
Wouldn't touch it or anything else from that company...if it were really decent..venture capital would have been forthcoming, considering the hype building today! A lot of people will be losing a lot of money, and this is only the beginning!:mad:

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Good info. Two reviews on Amazon, both 1 star, and I enjoyed the discussion on the link. Unless one is producing for resale or a is a resaller I don't see a need, just take a couple of tokes and see what happens. šŸ˜‰
It would be good for dosing edibles though..Sometimes I get a surprise on a new batch from new weed. Currently I pour my butter into mini silicon ice cube trays and dose by the # of cubes...Luckily I am a hard head, but a newbie could have a real problem with very potent butter.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It would be good for dosing edibles though..Sometimes I get a surprise on a new batch from new weed. Currently I pour my butter into mini silicon ice cube trays and dose by the # of cubes...Luckily I am a hard head, but a newbie could have a real problem with very potent butter.

I have had multiple customers not listen to us when we say eat half a muffin and wait 2 hrs before earing more.

They all eat it all and have a ā€œmovingā€ experience. Lol.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
I've had the Purpl Pro device for about 3 weeks now and am using it to test everything in my stash and have also tested a few sample for friends.
I'm not affiliated with Purpl Science in any way, just a very curious grower who loves new toys and sometimes that curiosity gets me burned but sometimes it works out very well.
It is a spendy device and it was the most I'd ever spent on my growing hobby at one time which made me feel dumb and bold at the same time. Same feeling I got when I bought my first led grow light. I'm just a non profit personal grower in a prohibition state looking to grow the very best weed I can and having a potency test in hand could really help me dial in on a variety of things. I have friends who can gets tests done for me in legal states but the logistics in that are a hassle more often than not.
So back in December when I first read about it I wanted one. Then I saw it for sale at Grower House, started saving, worked some overtime, did a few side jobs for extra cash, had some tax money from Uncle Sam come in, and bought it in late February. I tried to get a couple pals to go in with me but they backed out. Funny thing now is they'll pay me to test samples for them .

In mid June I'm heading to Colorado with samples for a lab to test which I'll then compare accuracy of the Purpl Pro to that lab. But as already mentioned lab tests can also be all over the place but I'm still going to do it...That curiosity thing gets me every time so I have to know and cannot simply give blind trust in it being accurate.

Right now I have seven strains in my personal stash. What the Purpl Pro has basically done for me is confirm what I already knew, ranked potency for me 1 thru 7.
You can take green hits off a joint, bong, or pipe and judge for yourself which is the most potent herb in a line up. This device puts a number to that and kinda verifies what your brain is telling you. However if a particular strain is extra terpy, the entourage effect can trick the brain making you think it's all THC but it's a number of other things in combination with the level of THC that can make a weed seem more potent than what a THC test can say. So if you have a mid teen tester but coulda swore it was in the 30% range, it's likely entourage effect that made you think that cut is so potent

Here's a few of my first tests....

I've also tried to trick the purpl pro and ran tests on shredded paper, air, and basil. All tested 0% so I dont think it just kicks out a random number.
I've smoked a lot of tested weed from Colorado and it seems to confirm what my senses tell me when I smoke and try to guess what the THC % may be. In other words, IDK if this thing is bullseye accurate but it sure seems like it's very close.

Moisture of a sample can throw off a test result and it's weird to grind the sample before testing. I usually test a sample 4-5 times before I settle on a final result to save but other than that it seems accurate and it's ez to use although the promo video does over simplify it.
It does need to be charged and calibrated about once per week. Full charge from being dead takes about 3 hours. Calibration is kinda funky but I got the hang of it quickly. Comes in a wickedly sturdy briefcase like something a handgun would come in.
Worth $1500? Hard to say. Compared to lab equipment it's a steal and if it's truly accurate it could be a huge game changer for a lot of people from patients to breeders. Right now, for me I'm getting my money's worth in having fun using it, I did use disposable income, and do not have any regrets yet but if it was between buying this or paying a mortgage bill or keeping food on the table for the family, no way I'd buy it as those things are way more important.
Hope this little bit of insight helps. I do think it's way better than options like Tcheck, MyDX, and Alpha Cat but I still want to get a second opinion from a lab using gas chromatography to be certain of that opinion

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Thanks Buzzer! Happy to offer my experience!
The MyDx was another on my radar but I backed off it. It uses electronic nose tech and seems to give a result based off a MyDx database which is cool I guess but that would seem unlikely to be truly accurate. There's also the reviews which some seem to be written by somebody working for MyDx and any independent review seems to scream buyer beware. It was tempting but I just could'nt do it. IDK how valid it was but one review even said it tested tobacco and cardboard and both showed they had THC.

The lack of info and reviews on the Purpl Pro helped influence me though with the ol mantra of no news is good news.
As far as I can tell I think Purpl Pro uses the same thing an Alpha Cat test uses in Thin Layer Chromatography. Only it looks like Purpl Science has digitized that so rather than a pink dot showing on test paper it shows a number on a screen.
I kinda compare it to reading a digital thermometer compared to reading a mercury thermometer. Both are accurate but the digital can be more precise

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Thanks Buzzer! Happy to offer my experience!
The MyDx was another on my radar but I backed off it. It uses electronic nose tech and seems to give a result based off a MyDx database which is cool I guess but that would seem unlikely to be truly accurate. There's also the reviews which some seem to be written by somebody working for MyDx and any independent review seems to scream buyer beware. It was tempting but I just could'nt do it. IDK how valid it was but one review even said it tested tobacco and cardboard and both showed they had THC.

The lack of info and reviews on the Purpl Pro helped influence me though with the ol mantra of no news is good news.
As far as I can tell I think Purpl Pro uses the same thing an Alpha Cat test uses in Thin Layer Chromatography. Only it looks like Purpl Science has digitized that so rather than a pink dot showing on test paper it shows a number on a screen.
I kinda compare it to reading a digital thermometer compared to reading a mercury thermometer. Both are accurate but the digital can be more precise

So my only question is, do you get the exact same reading on the same flower each and every time you test? The first time I got a different reading I'd be ready to trash it or send it back.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
So my only question is, do you get the exact same reading on the same flower each and every time you test? The first time I got a different reading I'd be ready to trash it or send it back.
There can be a swing of 1% up or down on the same flower but more often than not I get the same reading each test. After 4-5 tests getting that same number I save that data and I consider it accurate.
Where there can be a difference is in a particular flower of the same strain or plant or phenos.
Like a sweet cola flower will test much higher than some larf off the bottom branches from the same plant. And I have a couple flowers tested from the same strain but different phenos and there was a 4% THC and 1% CBD difference there in cola comparisons.
Moisture can throw off a test as well so as long as moisture is consistent I'll get the same result each test.

Latest posts

Top Bottom