Purple, brown, black or multi-colored herb.

• Thread starter Saul.Goodman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
I see all these images of dank looking purple, brown and even multi-colored buds on seller sites but if I actually Google that strain it's all images of green herb mostly.

I have seen some wicked purple and even black buds on this site before too. I just want to grow one of these magical looking plants.

What's your experience with these colorful herbs? Any suggestions on specific strains to hunt for?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Colorful buds are great for pictures, but they mean nothing when it comes to the quality of the product.

There are two types of non-green coloration -- when the leaves in the bud turn color, but the flower bracts remain green and when the bracts themselves are purple, red or black.

When bracts are purple or red or any color but green AND the strain has a green pheno and a purple/red/black pheno, the green pheno is invariably more potent than the purple/red/black pheno. When leaves turn color and bracts are green, there seems to be no connection with potency.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

A lot of the colorful fade you see posted is due to the lack of nutes and a cooler temp in the final days of flower. It's actually a skill to make the plant do that, and most plants will. As Mystic says tho, it does nothing for the smoke, only the bag appeal.

In my current grow - the one I'm posting about with Aqua man, I'm going to have 4 separate nute systems with 2 clones in each system. I'm going to do the colorful fade thing on at least one of them just to see it side by side. It should show that it is mostly about how you treat the plant at the end. I hope.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I see all these images of dank looking purple, brown and even multi-colored buds on seller sites but if I actually Google that strain it's all images of green herb mostly.

I have seen some wicked purple and even black buds on this site before too. I just want to grow one of these magical looking plants.

What's your experience with these colorful herbs? Any suggestions on specific strains to hunt for?
Purple plants are usually inferior in quality of effects.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Yeah, mostly it's about wanting to grow something with a little more eye appeal. I've got loads of dank herb stashed away so even if the quality was lesser. I'd be good on that front. I'm all about trying something new and I've yet to grow colorful buds is all.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Yeah, mostly it's about wanting to grow something with a little more eye appeal. I've got loads of dank herb stashed away so even if the quality was lesser. I'd be good on that front. I'm all about trying something new and I've yet to grow colorful buds is all.
Try a few different strains this fall and when they're flowering in December, lower the temps at night. Something will go purple.

There's a breeder named Sannie who has a strain that is well known for purple and red buds, called Killing Fields. You can tell which ones will have red or purple buds when they're seedlings, because the colorful ones have a red or purple tint at the growing points. These plants will be colorful no matter what temperatures they're growing in.

I'm not a big fan of the strain. It's what I refer to as a "lost in space" sativa. It's the kind of weed where you might search for your lighter when it's in your hand. But it had a huge following.

Lockebox

Lockebox

Try a few different strains this fall and when they're flowering in December, lower the temps at night. Something will go purple.

There's a breeder named Sannie who has a strain that is well known for purple and red buds, called Killing Fields. You can tell which ones will have red or purple buds when they're seedlings, because the colorful ones have a red or purple tint at the growing points. These plants will be colorful no matter what temperatures they're growing in.

I'm not a big fan of the strain. It's what I refer to as a "lost in space" sativa. It's the kind of weed where you might search for your lighter when it's in your hand. But it had a huge following.
Sounds like my kind of strain 😁

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

Have you tried serious black? It’s good weed and it’s black. I grew a bunch of black dog kush which was very dark purple and fire. I haven’t experienced less potency with purple/black buds.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I grew some of that pretty purple stuff last year. While it was gorgeous, I was disappointed in the final product. I did not cool nor do anything different than all the other ladies got. No one (except the breeder) was anymore shocked than me.
As for that fade, I get that pretty fade, but it’s because I cut them to just pure water the last two weeks and force them to use what is stored in the leaves. Some fade like crazy producing vibrant color and others not at all.

FD7429DB 6E53 4382 B2DA 5540316E0E2E
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Because the bracts are black, I'm going to guess it's natural.

I have a Runtz cross called Cinnamon Rollz that looks like this -- except the leaves aren't all black. It's some good shit. I didn't have a green pheno to compare it to this time, but I still contend that if you have a green pheno and a non-green bract pheno, the green one will be more powerful. I've found this to be true of the Colombian I used to grow in the 70s and 80s, the Killing Fields, mentioned above, and a few other strains I've grown over the years who's names I don't remember.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

and a few other strains I've grown over the years who's names I don't remember.
I understand. It's the drugs.

But seriously, I'm intrigued by all this. I'm going to be taking measurements of cannabinoids as I do this and try to understand for myself what happens. I don't have any black genetics, but one of the ones I will run is old school purple kush. I've made it go purple in the past with UVA, this time I'm going to do the straight water and lower temps too. Compare it to a clone that I don't do that to. If anyone wants to donate some black genetics to this test, LMK.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I understand. It's the drugs.

But seriously, I'm intrigued by all this. I'm going to be taking measurements of cannabinoids as I do this and try to understand for myself what happens. I don't have any black genetics, but one of the ones I will run is old school purple kush. I've made it go purple in the past with UVA, this time I'm going to do the straight water and lower temps too. Compare it to a clone that I don't do that to. If anyone wants to donate some black genetics to this test, LMK.
There used to be talk of Manizales black or African black that produced so much resin it stifled itself,even as a kid I heard the stories, I never ran across it though but it did make a good tale.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

A note and interesting facts about the purple hued plants. Anthocyanins. A water soluble pigment found in some genetics. You see plants in your veggie garden where this applies. Bright red or purple hued peppers are an example.
I have been told that it really kicks in in a colder environment.
I have also been told by arthritis patients using medical cannabis that it will cause a heck of a flare up. They avoid all heavily purpled cannabis.

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

A note and interesting facts about the purple hued plants. Anthocyanins. A water soluble pigment found in some genetics. You see plants in your veggie garden where this applies. Bright red or purple hued peppers are an example.
I have been told that it really kicks in in a colder environment.
I have also been told by arthritis patients using medical cannabis that it will cause a heck of a flare up. They avoid all heavily purpled cannabis.
No kidding? Thats good to know as I have arthritis in my back and cannabis helps it. Maybe I should avoid purples.

Top Bottom