Purple, Red & Green Weed: A Guide To Your Bud Colors Using Ph To Control Your Fade

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I opted to put this in the advanced section as Ph in general for some growers starting out can be a point of hardship in as much as not really understanding the importance of Ph just to grow acceptable cannabis.

I am sharing the article with you all is this takes Ph control and range to another level. As a disclaimer not all strains contain a adequate level of Anthocyanin's to bring about the colors you think you going to get. Just because you have some purple erkle doesn't necessarily mean you will end up with all purple plants out of a breeders pack even with using Ph manipulation.

This technique is for those chosen known phenos that exhibit coloration even without changing the Ph of your soil or medium. Try it when you have some cuts laying around and experiment a bit with some of your strains that you know have anthocyanin in their genes. Enjoy Farmers!!! :)

Cannabis strains, long before cannabinoid testing, could only be measured with the senses. How did it smell & taste? Bag appeal came from the bud trim and aromas, sure. But what really blows us away every time is color. 93% of shoppers make purchasing decisions based on color and visual appeal. And nothing says “WOW” like some green that isn’t green. So where do those amazing bud colors come from?

The science of color

Red-Green-and-Purple1.jpg

Some strains of cannabis change color as they flower. What’s the secret? Genetics. Anthocyanins are a group of around 400 water-soluble pigment molecules classified as flavonoids. They appear red, blue, or purple according to their pH.
Interestingly, flavonoids are generally yellow, hence the latin root “flavus“, meaning yellow. They also have nothing to do with flavor, being extremely bitter.

The fall effect

Red-Green-and-Purple2.jpg

Think of the tree leaves in fall. As temperatures drop, they change from green to red, orange, yellow, or gold. Cannabis doesn’t produce the colors until the latter half of the flowering stage, with a few exceptions. Once the green fades, they can come forth and shine.

Temperature plays a vital role, as cooler temperatures inhibit chlorophyll production. Chlorophyll, you might remember from 6th-grade science, is the plant component vital to photosynthesis.

For cannabis, depending on the lineage of the strain, certain other colors will appear when you drop the temp and the light cycle shortens, mimicking the change in season.

The ideal range to grow cannabis is a pH of 5.5-6.5. But during flowering, you can lean one way or another to enhance or minimize certain anthocyanins, bringing out certain colors.

Purple and blue strains

Red-Green-and-Purple3.jpg

The many strains of cannabis come with different cannabinoid ratios, flavor profiles, and anthocyanins. The most prominent variation to green cannabis is purple. Strains like Purple Urkle, Grandaddy Purple, and many others easily produce that pigment.

Certain strains have so much that you don’t even need to drop temperatures to see the change, as the plant naturally starts to lose chlorophyll at the end of its life. Purple Orangutan has some of the strongest blue and purple hues in the world.

Purple hues come to the fore in more neutral pH environments. Blues also enjoy higher pH levels than most cannabis strains.

Red and pink strains

Red-Green-and-Purple4.jpg

Red hairs show up more frequently today, but actually red buds and leaves are not nearly as common. For truly ruby herb, some strains that carry dominant red tones such as Pink Flower Shaman, pictured above, you will have to do some searching.

Predator Pink expresses some phenotypes with actual pink and fuchsia hues. Don’t go buying every strain with red or pink in the name, however. Most of the time, this refers either to the hairs or flavor accents, like pink lemonade or grapefruit.

You can also cheat a little changing plant leaves and buds a bit red by manipulating nutrients. Phosphorus deficiencies can cause this, but it won’t be as pretty as the real thing.

Yellow and orange strains

Red-Green-and-Purple-replacement.jpg

Carotenoids give cannabis those citrusy hues of yellow, gold, and orange. To get these colors, you want more alkaline conditions. If these colors are predominant in the plant, they will naturally come out as the flowering phase comes to an end and chlorophyll starts to fade.

Orange will mostly affect the hairs and buds, such as Olive Oyl, Kandy Skunk, and some phenos of Alien OG. Yellow strains include Wicked OG, Grapefruit, and Lemon Kush, of course.

Black cannabis Vietnamese black or Blackberry Kush anyone??? lol

Red-Green-and-Purple6.jpg

There are some rare strains that turn so dark that they appear black. The origin of these genetics goes back to Vietnamese landraces, I.E. Vietnamese Black. All other strains derived from hybrids, such as Black Willy and Black Tuna, share both the signature ebony buds and leaves.

In addition, black strains are noted for their intense psychedelic, cerebral highs. If you want visuals, this lineage is a surefire hit. The inky appearance comes from an overabundance of all colors in the leaves. With warmer temperatures, the dark reds and purples get replaced with lighter reds and golds in some cases.

Other ways to increase bud colors

Red-Green-and-Purple7.jpg

Anthocyanins can be present in the vacuoles of the cells in plant tissues, leaves, and flowers. Sometimes, they even present in the trichomes themselves. They also act to attract pollinating creatures like butterflies and bees, while deterring pests that might snack on them or lay their eggs by tricking them to think the plant is unhealthy.

Besides pH and temperature, using LED lights with specific spectrums can enhance the production of anthocyanins in the tissues of cannabis. They serve as “sunscreen” for plants, so stressing them with more UV light can make the plant produce more, enhancing the color.

Color vs potency

Red-Green-and-Purple8.jpg

A common misconception is that strains with bold color are more potent. The truth is that color has nothing to do with potency, just bag appeal. However, anthocyanins are known to act as powerful antioxidants and are also thought to have analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and neuroprotective properties.

Research suggests that some anthocyanins have a selective affinity for either CB1 or CB2 receptors, depending on the type.

So while the presence of anthocyanins doesn’t change the potency of cannabinoids like THC, it might give the strain an added entourage effect on health.

Other plants high in these molecules include blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, goji berries, blood oranges, and cranberries. Cranberries especially are touted for their powerful antioxidant properties, due to anthocyanins.

See link for varying Ph levels to effect certain colors. Again, all strain and phenotype dependent.
http://www.growweedeasy.com/does-ph-affect-cannabis-bud-color

Resource taken from: http://herb.co/2016/08/25/bud-colors/

Last edited:
dnewsome2

dnewsome2

That was a well-written article. Excellent information thank you. I'm glad you threw in the part about UV. I have actually performed tests with red romaine lettuce. Using red and blue LED versus LED lighting with UV. the UV unequivocally brought out the rich red color.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
That was a well-written article. Excellent information thank you. I'm glad you threw in the part about UV. I have actually performed tests with red romaine lettuce. Using red and blue LED versus LED lighting with UV. the UV unequivocally brought out the rich red color.
To clarify your comment. I am not being a wiseazz either, really wanna know, Did you grow that same pheno of lettuce without the uv and then ran it again with uv supplemental and found that it increased the red? Just curious and making sure it was a true side by side. Thanks for posting bro.

Last edited:
dnewsome2

dnewsome2

To clarify your comment. I am not being a wiseazz either really wanna know, Did you grow that same pheno of lettuce without the uv and then ran it again with uv supplemental and found that it increased the red? Just curious and making sure it was a true side by side. Thanks for posting bro.
I grew two rows of red Romaine lettuce out of the same pack of seeds. They were grown in the same room under the same temperatures and humidity but I isolated them from each other so the light did not penetrate one another. One row was grown using red and blue LEDs had some very slight red areas to it. The other row was grown with red blue UV and IR it was completely red.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I grew two rows of red Romaine lettuce out of the same pack of seeds. They were grown in the same room under the same temperatures and humidity but I isolated them from each other so the light did not penetrate one another. One row was grown using red and blue LEDs had some very slight red areas to it. The other row was grown with red blue UV and IR it was completely red.
Very nice man. Wasnt doubting you. Thanks for sharing that and the pics. Peace

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
The first pick was red and blue only. The second pick was red blue UV and IR. It is the little one on the right. I picked her young I was hungry lol. You can clearly see she was blood red even at a young age the other one was much more mature and still did not turn as red.
What genotype of carrot is that? Love me some basil. Got some drying as we speak for dry erbs. Got the rest ready to make some pesto!!!

Clamwrangler

Clamwrangler

Just to clarify, if one was to use temp swings to agitate anthocyanins and bring out the colour in their strain which was purported to show hues of purple or pink, what temps should we be looking at and when? Say 77-82f/25-28c day time, then night time should be 59-64f/15-18c in the last say 3 weeks of growth ?
Also how would those PH manipulations work on ALL MEDIAS, how would we apply that to hydro, coco enert mediums?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Just to clarify, if one was to use temp swings to agitate anthocyanins and bring out the colour in their strain which was purported to show hues of purple or pink, what temps should we be looking at and when? Say 77-82f/25-28c day time, then night time should be 59-64f/15-18c in the last say 3 weeks of growth ?
Also how would those PH manipulations work on ALL MEDIAS, how would we apply that to hydro, coco enert mediums?
Will be cool to see where this discussion goes.

Great questions. I would think, hypothesize, that you would have better luck in a good living soil or a decent bagged soil, the reason I say that is, I believe some of the prettiest plants/ flowers I have seen where grown ala natural. The closesr we can mimic real nature, the better the plants genetics can express themselves cause that's what they know 1st and foremost.

Disclaimer : this would depend on the seed stock and what conditions and enviros the strains were bred under. Cause over time there is a genetic shift due to variations in environmental factors/conditions.

Would be nice to see some farmer here share some ph use methodology and temp controls to show off the various medias used and the end results..... :smoking:

Last edited:
Clamwrangler

Clamwrangler

Ive seen success with temps held around the 10c swing from 25c daytime to 15-16c night time in the last few weeks. Now these strains were random clone stock and were just put in cold temps to see if any would express those phenotypes and one or two certainly took on a purplish hue through out the final 2 weeks until dried then it wasn't too noticeable. Now the ph was kept closer to neutral at 6.5 that whole grow in straight coco, so that could have effected it in some way. It seems to be such a fine line with cooling enough to agitate the pigments and cooling too much and stalling out the rhizosphere thus stalling productivity with in the plant. But damn me if pinky purple bud doesnt just look pretty and tasty to anyone stoner and non stoner alike!

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
83DA3165 2B0D 4E4D 998B 95AF25E3D895
I was only able to produce this color in a completely sealed room with co2 temperature and humidity completely contained.
838DFD7F 81DB 475F BF03 E012ACF8ADB8
241F5B6D B1F1 4D3E AA71 85C39C7F5D54
trimmed and ready to smoke.
54253061 7EAB 40BE A096 F46A21374C99
pic is the same strain OD. Never came close to ID as far as color, smell and potency. But she sure is pretty, I love her.

Top Bottom