Purple Stems

• Thread starter Zakattack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zakattack

Zakattack

Hi I was hoping someone could help. I've got some purple stems that seem to be getting darker.. I have been spraying them 3-4 times a day with a solution of distilled water and magnesium sulphate for a little over a week now and haven't noticed any positive changes. Nutes are currently 10ml gro and 10ml micro per gallon of distilledwater and and I'm using Calmag a well since I'm growing in coco and perlite (50/50). PH of the water has been kept at 5.8 .3day Feeding schedule is main nutes, 1/3 strength nutes as the water and nothing on the 3rd day. Any help you guys can flow my way will be awesome. Attached a couple Pictures to reference

Purple stems
Purple stems 2
Purple stems 3
Zakattack

Zakattack

That's a lot of spraying! Leaf petiole , which are the leaf stem, so to say, are commonly purple.
It's probably genetics. Your stems look green to me
Yea I thought it might be quite a bit off spraying but I had the thought that the more I pump some mag sulphate into it the faster it would clear up.. Regarding how it could be the genetics, where would I be able to check up on that? Thanks

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Interesting @GT21

Check this out @Slownickel ........ Thoughts? It would explain a few of my questions.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Also, come season time. How can we test this out? Take a tissue sample of the leaf with a purple stem, then a tissue sample from the main shoot with no purple? Very interesting. Got me thinking.

@GT21 you thinking genetics then?

mendopeman

mendopeman

Your plants look healthy and I'd say that's 100% genetics. If you look hard enough at any plant there's always something suspect lol. Burn one relax your going to be fine

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't know how many folks here have had the opportunity to grow the same strains both indoors and out, I have had that opportunity. And, based on being able to do that, it is my opinion that this kind of petiole reddening is 100% related to phosphorous utilization, and, again based on my own experience, it's incredibly common in indoor cultivation, and can be rather difficult to diminish or eliminate.

Again, based on my experience and opportunities, I've also been able to observe that when it's related to genetics, the entire stalk and all stems have purpling, often in a striped form. Not just the petioles.
Purple stems = low P
OR poor P utilization. In other words, it may be present, but not available.

Here, non-cannabis sourced information. Scroll to the phosphorous portion.

http://mgofmc.org/docs/nutrientdeficiency.pdf

But, like others are saying, your girls look pretty darn healthy. I'm not sure I'd worry about it too hard. I would continue to observe, and I might range pH to see how the plants respond.

I have more if you like. :)

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Also, come season time. How can we test this out? Take a tissue sample of the leaf with a purple stem, then a tissue sample from the main shoot with no purple? Very interesting. Got me thinking.

Ya until you see purple on the main feed tube you dont have to worry much

Zakattack

Zakattack

I don't know how many folks here have had the opportunity to grow the same strains both indoors and out, I have had that opportunity. And, based on being able to do that, it is my opinion that this kind of petiole reddening is 100% related to phosphorous utilization, and, again based on my own experience, it's incredibly common in indoor cultivation, and can be rather difficult to diminish or eliminate.

Again, based on my experience and opportunities, I've also been able to observe that when it's related to genetics, the entire stalk and all stems have purpling, often in a striped form. Not just the petioles.

OR poor P utilization. In other words, it may be present, but not available.

Here, non-cannabis sourced information. Scroll to the phosphorous portion.

http://mgofmc.org/docs/nutrientdeficiency.pdf

But, like others are saying, your girls look pretty darn healthy. I'm not sure I'd worry about it too hard. I would continue to observe, and I might range pH to see how the plants respond.

I have more if you like. :)

Send it all my way! I'm all ears for learning as much as possible.. If it does turn out to be poor P utilisation, how would you suggest I correct that? I have attached a picture of my reasoning for making my water at pH 5.8... Would you maybe suggest I go a Lil higher on the ph an see if that makes a difference?

Cheers mate

Screenshot 2017 02 04 09 54 57 469 commiuigallery
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

I agree with possible genetics. the purple stems and low P is an urban myth sort of. Yes P deficiency can present with purpling of leaf and sometimes stems, but most of the time it is the genetics of the strain. I have run numerous strains over the years grown with plenty of P & K and have seen purple stems on very healthy plants.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Only one way to find out. A P foliar spray twice a week for two weeks will take care of any deficiency. I wouldn't mess with your ph, or feed any more. Just foliar IMO.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Send it all my way! I'm all ears for learning as much as possible.. If it does turn out to be poor P utilisation, how would you suggest I correct that? I have attached a picture of my reasoning for making my water at pH 5.8... Would you maybe suggest I go a Lil higher on the ph an see if that makes a difference?

Cheers mate
Good to see youre going off a chart.... now 1 thing to know is that its good to swing the ph a little bit to hit all your micros and macros. You dont want to stay dead set at 5.8 at that ph you are right at the limit of p uptake. Might want to swing up a bit.

Phosphorus is a component of the complex nucleic acid structure of plants, which regulates protein synthesis. Phosphorus is, therefore, important in cell division and development of new tissue. Phosphorus is also associated with complex energy transformations in the plant.

P problems can come from cold weather and lowered electric conductivity, high iron contents and improper ph

Zakattack

Zakattack

Good to see youre going off a chart.... now 1 thing to know is that its good to swing the ph a little bit to hit all your micros and macros. You dont want to stay dead set at 5.8 at that ph you are right at the limit of p uptake. Might want to swing up a bit.

Phosphorus is a component of the complex nucleic acid structure of plants, which regulates protein synthesis. Phosphorus is, therefore, important in cell division and development of new tissue. Phosphorus is also associated with complex energy transformations in the plant.

P problems can come from cold weather and lowered electric conductivity, high iron contents and improper ph
Sweet.. On my next feed I'll give it a little bit of a higher value.. What would you suggest I go for in the next feed or 2.. Like 5.9 or 6.0? Or right up like 6.1?? The temperature is good I know it will never drop low enough.. Thanks Bro

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Sweet.. On my next feed I'll give it a little bit of a higher value.. What would you suggest I go for in the next feed or 2.. Like 5.9 or 6.0? Or right up like 6.1?? The temperature is good I know it will never drop low enough.. Thanks Bro
I would try 6. But like i mentioned in the first post... dont look so much at the leaf stems.. look at the main stem for deficiency problems... if you have a p problem youll start seein stripes appear on the main stem followed buy yellowed dying leaves.

Top Bottom