Pursuing first hydro grow with RDWC, help a noob.

• Thread starter jaypru369
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

First of i have grown in the soil before a few times, I'm a youngin and will admit, i don't know much about growing so bare with me.

Currently building a 6 site 5-gallon RDWC with a 27 gal res in a 5x7x8 room. I will be getting rooted clones from locals with great genetics in a starter cube, once i get them i will transfer them straight into 4 inch Rockwool cubes and into the net pots.

I am going with megacrop nutes but i was wondering if there is anything else i need to add with it when running megacrop? Any protective additives to run? I was hoping to find some cheaper alternatives to AD nutes additives like BIGBUD, so if you have much cheaper alternatives then please share them with me. I like simple and cheap so nothing complex.

i will ventilate through under the door with flat outlet that fits under the door, the rest of the door is fairly loose so hoping it will pull in enough air and won't have any pressure issues with the controller, but if so i will add a vent in the door. I will be wrapping the buckets is mylar, will be good for blocking out light? they're white so I was hoping mylar would block out all light and not heat up water. Hoping with setup and inline pumps that I will not encounter many hot water issues so hoping I won't need a chiller, but may get a small AC unit in room to control summer heat. Will build some kind of water catch or just get a hydro tub for floods. Also thinking of locating res right outside the door to avoid heat, good idea?

Gear I have now:
-6x 5 gal buckets
-30 gal res
-fans, extensions, timers
-carbon filter+hurricane inline fan+ducting
-speed controller
-led light 1000 watt
-air filter 60 watts + airlines
-7x 3 disc air stones
-inline pump 700ghp
-6 in net pots
-Rockwool + getting rooted clones (good genetics)
-ph+tds meter
-ph control kit
- I still need all the plumbing lines/connectors but waiting for a family member to come and help set that up so I will wait until then.

What else do I (need/need to know) for a successful and quality RDWC grow? thank you for the help!
Hi sounds good, but i know one thing you don't need and those are air stones.

There is a massive misconception regarding these, but in the end you DO NOT need air stones, their a waste of time, energy and are noisy.
All you need is a decent water fall effect and that's it.

All the best!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hi sounds good, but i know one thing you don't need and those are air stones.

There is a massive misconception regarding these, but in the end you DO NOT need air stones, their a waste of time, energy and are noisy.
All you need is a decent water fall effect and that's it.

All the best!
Absolutely can be done but benefits and drawbacks to both.

Top Bottom