Pursuing first hydro grow with RDWC, help a noob.

• Thread starter jaypru369
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
threatco

threatco

how is this one? it allows to add supplemental bars to add extra lights during flower https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.details.deiletai6.21.2b05b9c0APTkJH

*edit- looks like i can ask for mix of lights, and get extra lights for flower to add with their option above. what it be worth it to get those extra lights and supplemental light bar attachment?

link working on desktop now.

Your dimensions of 5x7 make it so one or two big rails would probably not cover all sides very well. either not wide or not long enough.

So assuming you need to go in multiples of 240-320w for coverage, is this a better value than normal hanging boards not on a rail?

The heatsink/board used for QB is plenty sturdy without needing this added structure.

jaypru369

jaypru369

Link not working.

Im not familiar with the bigger systems with rails ect. My friend did a 4x8 tent with 6x 240w (2 panel 1 driver) quantum boards. After looking at those bigger things, they were not as good of a value. But I dont know what all is out there.

Your shipping costs advantage might make the difference.

see if that works. but i want to make sure the lights i get come with 660?

jaypru369

jaypru369

link working on desktop now.

View attachment 984029

Your dimensions of 5x7 make it so one or two big rails would probably not cover all sides very well. either not wide or not long enough.

So assuming you need to go in multiples of 240-320w for coverage, is this a better value than normal hanging boards not on a rail?

The heatsink/board used for QB is plenty sturdy without needing this added structure.
just saw its working.

it is 5x7 but im not sure i will use all that space bc i am centering them more towards the back wall so i can walk in and manage.

I have to look into it more and compare, but i wasnt sure that the flat ones with out the rails were the same thing but if they are then they may be better bc i found some for 100 per 480 watt true panel, if i get3-4 of these do they all run on there own drivers?

threatco

threatco

just saw its working.

it is 5x7 but im not sure i will use all that space bc i am centering them more towards the back wall so i can walk in and manage.

I have to look into it more and compare, but i wasnt sure that the flat ones with out the rails were the same thing but if they are then they may be better bc i found some for 100 per 480 watt true panel, if i get3-4 of these do they all run on there own drivers?

Yep. They each have their own driver. They can be wired either in sequence to use one plug or each with their own plug.

I was surprised that the cost for 2x 240w was the same as a single 480w board. One would assume the addition of a 2nd driver would bring up the cost, but it seems not.

jaypru369

jaypru369

Yep. They each have their own driver. They can be wired either in sequence to use one plug or each with their own plug.

I was surprised that the cost for 2x 240w was the same as a single 480w board. One would assume the addition of a 2nd driver would bring up the cost, but it seems not.
that or they have it listed wrong and will tell me the higher cost

jaypru369

jaypru369

Could be. For the 3 brands listed before, it seemed to be the case after getting a real quote.
yeah i think it depnds on the built was i sent, they either come with or without features

jaypru369

jaypru369

Could be. For the 3 brands listed before, it seemed to be the case after getting a real quote.
so best light setup not carrying about efficiency/cost of electric, do i want add UV/IR lights in with the system if they are not epistar? and not if they are epistar? or are they okay?

threatco

threatco

so best light setup not carrying about efficiency/cost of electric, do i want add UV/IR lights in with the system if they are not epistar? and not if they are epistar? or are they okay?

I say yes "Epistar is good enough". Aquaman said no "Why put those next to Samsungs?".

How important is having those diodes last 8-10 years vs 4-5 years? What is the cost difference? The light is still good after the IR/UV's burn out. That's my view.

I stress again, 4-5 years of use. But turned off for the whole vegetative phase. And on 12 hours a day during flowering. That is why people don't actually report complaints of led burnouts. It takes so long, you could get way longer then 5 actual years out of them.

jaypru369

jaypru369

I say yes "Epistar is good enough". Aquaman said no "Why put those next to Samsungs?".

How important is having those diodes last 8-10 years vs 4-5 years? What is the cost difference? The light is still good after the IR/UV's burn out. That's my view.

I stress again, 4-5 years of use. But turned off for the whole vegetative phase. And on 12 hours a day during flowering. That is why people don't actually report complaints of led burnouts. It takes so long, you could get way longer then 5 actual years out of them.
are CREE know to be better? Im looking at one light thats offering cree and the light mix is 660nm+3000k+3500k

threatco

threatco

are CREE know to be better? Im looking at one light thats offering cree and the light mix is 660nm+3000k+3500k

Yeah, Cree is better than Epistar. That's what I mean by 2x life expectancy and very slightly brighter/more efficient. <5%

Not worth the cost usually is my view.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's all cost vs gain. In a perfect world we want the best but sometimes it's not worth the cost difference as @threatco is pointing out. It's kind of a personal choice. It won't make a lot of difference in the grow in terms of the light produced. But in long term life is where you may consider it. Tbh in 5 yrs you likely to get newer tech anyhow as LED is progressing very quickly and the study of lighting on Cannabis is also. If it's a minimal cost then I would consider upgrading. If not after some thinking on that I agree with @threatco and money would be best spent elsewhere. Especially on a budget.

Personally I'm not at all a fan of epistar but under these circumstances where budget is really tight you need to find ways to cut some costs and you should start with the least impactful. Such as this.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

But that leads me back to kinda thinking CMH and better ventilation will be cheaper. Get some great bud off it also. I'm a led grower but honestly HPS and CMH are both still strong choices at a fraction of the cost. I bought my hlg 600 a couple yrs ago and already I would like to replace it but instead I will likely supplement far red and UV since the LEDs out there only have the far red covered at this point.

Bottom line your ability to grow will be the biggest factor and the light while being the biggest impact those 3 led,CMH,HPS will all produce great bud. HPS being the most proven ATM but it won't be long before it's all led

jaypru369

jaypru369

But that leads me back to kinda thinking CMH and better ventilation will be cheaper. Get some great bud off it also. I'm a led grower but honestly HPS and CMH are both still strong choices at a fraction of the cost. I bought my hlg 600 a couple yrs ago and already I would like to replace it but instead I will likely supplement far red and UV since the LEDs out there only have the far red covered at this point.

Bottom line your ability to grow will be the biggest factor and the light while being the biggest impact those 3 led,CMH,HPS will all produce great bud. HPS being the most proven ATM but it won't be long before it's all led
Yeah you might be right i guess it depends if i can get good deals cheap shipping and if i could get some of the equipment used it would make cmh possibly cheaper, but i guess i was thinking that if i go cmh i will have to locate more equipment outside to keep heat out and will need a chiller def then and get another exhaust system for intake (which i may have to do anyways bc might have neg pressure) and certainly more heat to deal with.

so ive been thinking about it LED or CMH; leaning more towards LED because:
-since i got shipping hookups in china
-will be growing in the future so LED will be worth extra investment ( large scale its not really much more of investment )
-bulbs go out on CMH faster ( ive heard )
-cmh=more heat compared to LED + def need for chiller ( might be able to get away without it and LED )
-for this grow, if used LED might not have to cut vent in door for extra air that i would need to do with CMH
-LED seem easier to work with
-LED lights now have dimmers/switches/app+wifi controllers/daisy chain easy/come with easy mounting supplemental bars to add UV/IR

I understand CMH or HPS may be more proven and probably cheaper initial investment however for the reasons above im leaning towards LED. I do think im more biased to new tech though haha.

jaypru369

jaypru369

so im being asked by one supplier which spectrum i want? see pics below.

also another supplier i found with good price said their LED's are osarm, since i havent heard of them and there cheaper, safe to assume these are much less quality than the Samsung LEDs?

Fsg
Fsm
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah you might be right i guess it depends if i can get good deals cheap shipping and if i could get some of the equipment used it would make cmh possibly cheaper, but i guess i was thinking that if i go cmh i will have to locate more equipment outside to keep heat out and will need a chiller def then and get another exhaust system for intake (which i may have to do anyways bc might have neg pressure) and certainly more heat to deal with.

so ive been thinking about it LED or CMH; leaning more towards LED because:
-since i got shipping hookups in china
-will be growing in the future so LED will be worth extra investment ( large scale its not really much more of investment )
-bulbs go out on CMH faster ( ive heard )
-cmh=more heat compared to LED + def need for chiller ( might be able to get away without it and LED )
-for this grow, if used LED might not have to cut vent in door for extra air that i would need to do with CMH
-LED seem easier to work with
-LED lights now have dimmers/switches/app+wifi controllers/daisy chain easy/come with easy mounting supplemental bars to add UV/IR

I understand CMH or HPS may be more proven and probably cheaper initial investment however for the reasons above im leaning towards LED. I do think im more biased to new tech though haha.
Now you are making an informed purchase based on your needs. đź‘Ť

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

so im being asked by one supplier which spectrum i want? see pics below.

also another supplier i found with good price said their LED's are osarm, since i havent heard of them and there cheaper, safe to assume these are much less quality than the Samsung LEDs?
Any reputable light will give you spectrum options. I prefer 3000k if using a single source for a whole grow. Yeah you may see a tiny more stretch in seedlings but honestly imo the spectrum is better for flower and to me that's the important part. There are some studies to show a red leaning spectrum provides more dry weight and therefore more overall growth this was shown first I think between MH and HPS I believe the university of utah?

It has more to do with photobiology when dealing with spectrum.

Osram is a good brand better than epistar.

jaypru369

jaypru369

Now you are making an informed purchase based on your needs. đź‘Ť
trying to price out building my own LED setup with buying all the parts separately and its looking like they it would be more than buying a pre-assembled light haha wth...

jaypru369

jaypru369

Any reputable light will give you spectrum options. I prefer 3000k if using a single source for a whole grow. Yeah you may see a tiny more stretch in seedlings but honestly imo the spectrum is better for flower and to me that's the important part. There are some studies to show a red leaning spectrum provides more dry weight and therefore more overall growth this was shown first I think between MH and HPS I believe the university of utah?

It has more to do with photobiology when dealing with spectrum.

Osram is a good brand better than epistar.
so osarm are the UV lights? so from the photos than FSM is more red-leaning?

Top Bottom