QUESTION ABOUT FLOWER STAGE, watering

• Thread starter TwitchVee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TwitchVee

TwitchVee

Hey, guys. I've been watering every 2-3 days when my soil is dry to a couple inches under the surface and it's been fine, almost overkill even, but i'm 3 weeks into budding and now my 5gal pots(soil) are dry every single day. Should I water more or stick to my schedule and let them do their thing?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For potting soil it’s best to water when the pots are much lighter than the top couple inches dry. I like to see dry reading on a probe moisture meter 2/3 the way down the pot. Or when it feels almost as light as the same size pot filled with dry soil. Alarmingly light. I let plants wilt to see how far I can take them.

As I learned to do this my potency and yield went up. And the plants looked better and better. They need way less water and nutrients than we think.

Just a tip that was given to me by my favorite breeder.

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

For potting soil it’s best to water when the pots are much lighter than the top couple inches dry. I like to see dry reading on a probe moisture meter 2/3 the way down the pot. Or when it feels almost as light as the same size pot filled with dry soil. Alarmingly light. I let plants wilt to see how far I can take them.

As I learned to do this my potency and yield went up. And the plants looked better and better. They need way less water and nutrients than we think.

Just a tip that was given to me by my favorite breeder.
Thanks, that makes sense

growsince79

growsince79

Hey, guys. I've been watering every 2-3 days when my soil is dry to a couple inches under the surface and it's been fine, almost overkill even, but i'm 3 weeks into budding and now my 5gal pots(soil) are dry every single day. Should I water more or stick to my schedule and let them do their thing?
How much are you watering each day before you see runoff?

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Plants eat how much when they want. You should get a good feel of how heavy pots are and based on that is how much you should feed. Any time it gets light feed. You can get a better reading with a moisture content probe.

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

How much are you watering each day before you see runoff?
As of now, they're eating half a gallon a day before i see anything at the bottom, i usually stop when it starts pooling in the tent. I've got some lower fan leaves browning and yellowing, but i don't see anything unusual per say. I also have them under a bright strong light and they stretched up probably closer than i'd like, but haven't shown extensive signs of stress, very slight leaf curl at the very tip that doesn't seem to ever get any worse. What i thought was strange is that they were eating this much every few days until week 3 flower and now they're eating that much every day, every morning the soil is bone dry and the fabric pots are as light as a feather. I haven't slowed down on nutes, either, i'm giving them the entire humboldt's and fox farms lines combines at full dosage. plus Bud Up powder at every feed. They're hungry for being under one spiderfarmer SF7000

growsince79

growsince79

one was even dropping today as if to hurry me along
Sounds like unhealthy roots from poor watering practices. If they were healthy roots that filled the 5 gallon pots, they could probably take 1.5 gallons every 2-3 days. Got pics?

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

these are autos, not photos. i don't doubt they could take more

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

Amazingly, the light is only 14 inches above the top of one of them at this point and it's as high as it can go in a 5x5 tent. plants are 26 inches tall from soil

growsince79

growsince79

They look healthy. But if they dry up after only drinking 2 quarts in a 5 gal container, somethings wrong. That means your soil is constantly wet, but the plant can't use it for some reason. Roots have a hard time growing into over watered soil. I'll bet the rootball isn't 5 gallons. Maybe the light is too much? idk gl.

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

They look healthy. But if they dry up after only drinking 2 quarts in a 5 gal container, somethings wrong. That means your soil is constantly wet, but the plant can't use it for some reason. Roots have a hard time growing into over watered soil. I'll bet the rootball isn't 5 gallons. Maybe the light is too much? idk gl.
The light should theoretically be too much, yes, but i've been following a schedule laid out by a scientist i watched online that said the amount of light the plant could take, as well as food and water, were in direct relation to how well-balanced they weere and that in reality they could be fed 3x a normal schedule. Honestly, i think the light will be too much as close as it is because it's recommended to have it at 18-24 inches in flower, but i can also turn it down(hate to do that before it stresses!), and i didn't wanna risk super-cropping because as you said they really look healthy. I never had to really water outdoor, this being my first indoor lockout is a possibility, but i haven't seen them slow down at all, if you magnify you can see the bud sites are both abundant and healthy.

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

i did pull up the 6th plant on the same schedule due to showing earl male, and it's root system filled nearly the entire pot, more horizontally than vertically but still a nice fill, i could have even made use of a larger root space to avoid reaching the fabric.

Latest posts

Top Bottom