Question about my pump in UC w/chiller

• Thread starter jimmyhoffa59
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jimmyhoffa59

jimmyhoffa59

Okay so I have a 6xl UC system, It came with a 350 gph pump I believe and I have a 900 gph pump I put on instead because I am running it looped through my new 1/10 hp chiller which is about 4 feet away outside my grow area. I read the specs on chilling capacity for pump ratings and I am a little worried if it is going to push it through the chiller too fast to get it cooled down. I have seen a lot of guys with upgraded pumps and the flow into the epicenter is great but not overpowering, I ran everything but did not actually TURN ON the chiller yet. Should I change out to the smaller pump or what? I wont be home for a while and wanted to know what I should tell my buddy to do.

Any adequate help would be great.
Thanks guys
M

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
whats the max gph for your chiller?

I read here somewhere that too much flow in the UC will cause the roots to want to travel through the pvc sooner and potentially clog you system

its recommended that the units get 50 gph through each one and your more like 130 gph with that 900 gph pump (counting for the epicenter too)

I would get a dedicated pump for the chiller and run it through a coil - thats how Im setting mine up - that way its a closed system, more efficient and your chiller will last longer

though if you try and use that pump and run it through the chiller youll be compromising the flow

jimmyhoffa59

jimmyhoffa59

Thank you for that information, I guess I could actually call the UC guys and ask specifics. Pumps drop gph by the foot and the chiller is 4ft away. They told me just to tie in the chiller at that pump tee so I have the pump pulling from that back two buckets line, into the chiller and the chiller out into that epicenter tee. Flow is fantastic but I hear what your saying about pulling the roots in, when I stick my hand in there I think there is some suction. Actually my water even after sitting all night is 66 degrees without the chiller. I am thinking I can get my 90 bucks back for the big pump and just get maybe like a 500gph. Could you give me a little more info on what you mean about the closed system chiller coil? How can I set that up? Really appreciate the advice man~~~~~:handshake

jimmyhoffa59

jimmyhoffa59

Oh and happy Thanksgiving, smoke a fatty then off to gorge on tons of great food.. ahhh yeah!:RastaBong:

Aligee

Aligee

i use the 8gallon 6xl with a 500 gph pump running thru the 1/10 chiller then dumping back into the epi ... cool coils are just as good if not more efficient but require there own rez and pump and additional space my res temp is actually on the colder side(65+) chillers not working to hard... but prob upgrade to 1/4 come summer cause its a desert down here lol!!! happy turkey day 'Farmers !!!

R

RMCG

Chillers add 6ft of head to your pump requirements too.

What's your 900GPH rating at various heads? Some pumps GPH drop off very quickly.

I don't think the 4ft (horizontal) run to the chiller 'adds' that much to head (static), but it should be considered as well.

Yes, an oversized pump will draw roots down the tubes much faster.

You could just use your 350 to recirc from the epicenter through your chiller and back in to the epicenter.

jimmyhoffa59

jimmyhoffa59

I guess I will just drop down and get like a 500 pump and put an inline filter on it to catch any debris. Regardless I think the chiller wont work well without it running through it slower. I guess the idea is to have just good water flow, not a river flowing eh?

H

Headach

I use a 900gph pump for my chiller, it has to push water 3 feet up vertical then back down into the epic bucket, i wish i could switch to coils because the chiller runs too much.

M

mrdizzle

you shouldnt run the UC pump inline with your chiller. Pump gets clogged, chiller gets no water and gets ruin. I would always relay on two pumps vs one, get a cheapo 350gph pump for your chiller and run the pump that UC gave you for the system. the 6 unit doesnt hold a ton of water a 1/10hp with the proper pump size will easily chilll that water

^^^^^^the reason your chiller is running so much is the water doesnt have enough contact time due to the pump being to large, so it constantly runs because the warm water running thru it doesnt have enough time in the chiller to get chilled

H

Headach

I am worried that if i downgrade to a lower gph pump that i wouldnt be able to push the water up into the chiller and back down.

Top Bottom