Question about seed genetics from self pollinated female

• Thread starter Cdub97
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cdub97

Cdub97

If a stressed female plant self pollinates and creates a few precious seeds (essentially a small handful of feminized seeds) every time I have seen plants grown from these...they were beautiful female plants. I’m NOT talking about even a mild case of hermaphroditism. It’s usually at the very very end of its life the plant throws a few last ditch efforts and manages to create sometimes just 4-6 seeds on a good sized plant. Maybe slight stress plays a role also but also very ripe flowers are a factor as well.

I’ve seen cannabis grown from this “bag seed” a few times. Unlike mystery “bag seed” this seed came from it was a legal medical flower product so the exact strain and in fact the specific breeder genetics that were grown was disclosed on the legal product itself. Exotic Genetix in this case...

Is seed like this a crapshoot as to what traits you end up with? Is it a unique phenotype or is it an exact replica of the female it came from that self pollinated? If it’s different to what degree?

Last edited:
Shotyoung

Shotyoung

If a stressed female plant self pollinates and creates a few precious seeds (essentially a small handful of feminized seeds) every time I have seen plants grown from these...they were beautiful female plants. I’m NOT talking about even a mild case of hermaphroditism. It’s usually at the very very end of its life the plant throws a few last ditch efforts and manages to create sometimes just 4-6 seeds on a good sized plant. Maybe slight stress plays a role also but also very ripe flowers are a factor as well.

I’ve seen cannabis grown from this “bag seed” a few times. Unlike mystery “bag seed” this seed came from it was a legal medical flower product so the exact strain and in fact the specific breeder genetics that were grown was disclosed on the legal product itself. Exotic Genetix in this case...

Is seed like this a crapshoot as to what traits you end up with? Is it a unique phenotype or is it an exact replica of the female it came from that self pollinated? If it’s different to what degree?

I'd say it's a natural crapshoot. If I were a betting man, I'd lay it all on mother nature in that she knows what she's doing. It won't be an exact replica but if nature has her way she'll give you something just a bit better.

OdlaFett

OdlaFett

At the very least it should be very similar to its parent...right?
I grown a couple of this kind of seeds just too see what happens and I feel its not worth it unless you aint got no other more stable seeds. Its like the hermi gene gets stronger for every generation. They come to about week 6-7 and start dropping pollination sacks here and there and if your unlucky they can pollinate the whole crop

Cdub97

Cdub97

I grown a couple of this kind of seeds just too see what happens and I feel its not worth it unless you aint got no other more stable seeds. Its like the hermi gene gets stronger for every generation. They come to about week 6-7 and start dropping pollination sacks here and there and if your unlucky they can pollinate the whole crop

I’ve had no such problems. I’m on week 8 tomorrow and no male parts or hermie parts or anything.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

At the very least it should be very similar to its parent...right?
That has been my experience. Also if the plant was not herm before, then these "stress caused" seeds should not be either. I have given plants a heavy defoliation stressing them into producing pollen and seed, had no problems with the seed. If it wasn't in the genes to begin with, it should not be in the selfed seeds either, because it was stress induced. That being said, seed may or may not be exact replica, most will be close or exact. Some, depending on what you are looking for in traits of the original, will be better some worse.

Cdub97

Cdub97

That has been my experience. Also if the plant was not herm before, then these "stress caused" seeds should not be either. I have given plants a heavy defoliation stressing them into producing pollen and seed, had no problems with the seed. If it wasn't in the genes to begin with, it should not be in the selfed seeds either, because it was stress induced. That being said, seed may or may not be exact replica, most will be close or exact. Some, depending on what you are looking for in traits of the original, will be better some worse.

This is an excellent comment and I appreciate this. Basically I had no access to seeds...but being a medical patient I’ve found two in my medicine. Two! This is after $2,000 and 6-months of buying about an ounce of flower each month. I got a seed from Cookies (cultivator says it’s Exotic Genetix) and another from Super Skunk. Both female. I’m 100% for feminized seeds from a stressed girl. It’s never given me a male (or a hermie) seed.

I’m successfully growing both strains and near my first harvest from a huge Cookies plant. Cloned both strains like crazy so I have plants for days.

But I’m glad for that last comment...because it was beginning to sound like I would have done just as good taking a totally random bag seed and hoping for the best. I happen to LOVE Cookies so I was stoked to get a free seed! And Super Skunk ain’t half bad either. I’m pretty sure I can do a better job than the medical cultivators here so excited about it really.

Yea these seeds came from a slightly stressed female no doubt. NOT a hermie plant. It was a professional legal medical grow so I know they didn’t have a big fat hermie pollinating everything in their grow. There’s a world of difference between these few and far between stress seeds and an actual hermie. I’ve always gotten super stable girls from these seeds. I was just wondering how close they’d be from the original...I suspect they’ll be close enough!

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I grow diesel and thai hybrids as they are my favorite but can reverse and grow nanners from stress. I find a few seeds here and there after harvest.

I always plant these seeds. They are free feminized elite seeds.

But no they tend to be a bit different plants than their mom. And i have never had one reverse. Guess i am more proactive the second time. Lol.

Cdub97

Cdub97

I always plant these seeds. They are free feminized elite seeds.

PRECISELY!

But no they tend to be a bit different plants than their mom. And i have never had one reverse. Guess i am more proactive the second time. Lol.

Yea I would expect a slightly different expression of traits if I were guessing. It’s not a clone. Surely it’s darn close. I really like this Cookies terpenes profile and high resin content so that’s why I’m hoping for it being close. I’ll know soon!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

PRECISELY!

Yea I would expect a slightly different expression of traits if I were guessing. It’s not a clone. Surely it’s darn close. I really like this Cookies terpenes profile and high resin content so that’s why I’m hoping for it being close. I’ll know soon!

The results rely on the original breeding of the mom. With todays chucked hybrids you could end up with all kinds of phenos. Just none of the genes from the father are present in the new seeds.

Cdub97

Cdub97

The results rely on the original breeding of the mom. With todays chucked hybrids you could end up with all kinds of phenos. Just none of the genes from the father are present in the new seeds.

Oh wow. I had no idea it could be that different. What gave me the impression it might could be almost an exact copy was the fact that the plant self pollinated as there was no father.

Still just a totally random draw of every phenotype in the mother’s dna? I know nothing of this subject so I’m totally out of my depth. I barely know what a phenotype really is other than vague idea that it’s one of many outcomes from a plant’s genetics.

L

LeHerber

I found and planted one of such seeds just today. And it’s not the first time. And I’ve gotten phenos I enjoy for sure. They all have a lil herm in them. That’s how that trait is exploited so easily, it’s just trying to reduce the chances of it producing viable male parts, just pay attention, u see lil yellow flowers it’s out of there. And like good advice it’s not a “stable” strain. Just means you can’t predict it’s breeding, doesn’t mean it won’t be good, and highly likely female bud

L

LeHerber

No it’s not random as breeding. It’s a recombination of the same genetics not a splicing of 2 into one, so there is a lack of chromosome it takes to create the opposite sex. It would be very strange for a hermaphroditism female produce a male. I’ve never heard of such. Not saying it’s not possible

L

LeHerber

No it’s not random as breeding. It’s a recombination of the same genetics not a splicing of 2 into one, so there is a lack of chromosome it takes to create the opposite sex. It would be very strange for a hermaphroditism female produce a male. I’ve never heard of such. Not saying it’s not possible
But it will produce another hermaphrodite

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It wont necessarily produce a hermaphrodite. That is a rare anomoly. It may reverse from the same or different stress than its mother. Or it may not.

In my experience if the stress is removed the “hermie” seed wont reverse.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

Oh wow. I had no idea it could be that different. What gave me the impression it might could be almost an exact copy was the fact that the plant self pollinated as there was no father.

Still just a totally random draw of every phenotype in the mother’s dna? I know nothing of this subject so I’m totally out of my depth. I barely know what a phenotype really is other than vague idea that it’s one of many outcomes from a plant’s genetics.
Think about it this way lets say the mom is Aa in traits, the pollen from the Mom could be Aa, aa, AA for dominate and recessive traits with in the Mom's genotype as expressed through phenotype. The genes are there for all, its just missing the male chromozone to produce a male in off spring since it never had it. All the other variations of the genotype are there and will pass on through the pollen. Most will be like the Mom as she is most likely to pass on dom/recess genes, I look for the outliers of that recombination of genes that are a really nice expressions of what I liked in the Mother or that special gem found in the recombination that's completely different.

L

LeHerber

Hermaphrodite seeds for sure produce hermaphroditism. I’ve got one right now and I just culled a boss hogxbubba kush that couldn’t decide what it wanted to be because of its “femanized” heritage. Your lucky if you don’t get one. That’s my issue

L

LeHerber

Let me be clear. I’ll mean to produce a full on male with no female parts would b strange

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hermaphrodite seeds for sure produce hermaphroditism. I’ve got one right now and I just culled a boss hogxbubba kush that couldn’t decide what it wanted to be because of its “femanized” heritage. Your lucky if you don’t get one. That’s my issue

I have planted hundreds of feminized seeds. Except for late nanners on some strains known for that every nanner i have ever had was caused by my own grower error. And when i fixed the stress no more nanners. Nutrient stress causes them. No one ever mentions that. Always light leaks.

I have not seen a true hermie. With both male and female parts all over.

Top Bottom