Question about slow seedling growth

• Thread starter PerfecTrader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

I'm sure I'm helicopter parenting already but this just seems off. This is a Barneys Farm Mimosa x Orange Punch Fem and I planted it Monday. Within a day or 2 it grew to what it looks like now and then just seems to have halted.
I put sprouted seedling directly in (pre-soaked then drained) Happy Frog soil with plenty of drainage holes, and have misted clear cup over it for added humidity. Light is 600w on lowest setting at 30". Tent average is about 75temp 60rh. Is this just a slow grower, stunted, or a dud waiting to happen? I want to run this cultivar this grow so wondering if should drop another bean or not. Any advice welcome and thanks

Question about slow seedling growth
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm sure I'm helicopter parenting already but this just seems off. This is a Barneys Farm Mimosa x Orange Punch Fem and I planted it Monday. Within a day or 2 it grew to what it looks like now and then just seems to have halted.
I put sprouted seedling directly in (pre-soaked then drained) Happy Frog soil with plenty of drainage holes, and have misted clear cup over it for added humidity. Light is 600w on lowest setting at 30". Tent average is about 75temp 60rh. Is this just a slow grower, stunted, or a dud waiting to happen? I want to run this cultivar this grow so wondering if should drop another bean or not. Any advice welcome and thanks
Seeds give you diversity… it looks fine may just be a slow starter. Ime sometimes you thank yourself for not tossing them because they tirn out to be special. Faster growing is desired but that doesn’t mean its better

Observationist

Observationist

Seeds give you diversity… it looks fine may just be a slow starter. Ime sometimes you thank yourself for not tossing them because they tirn out to be special. Faster growing is desired but that doesn’t mean its better
Good things take time.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Soil looks pretty wet for a seedling I’d let it dry out real good before any more water and then only as much as it will take in a day !! AKA VERY LITTLE until she can establish a decent root base. Best of luck to ya n keep us posted
Roger that thanks. Not going to give them a drop until soils drys out a bit. Suspect may 3-4 days?

Beazy

Beazy

I would say yes but depending on environment!!!! Just keep an eye on those roots. I see you have em in clear cups ( GOOD ) so you can watch them roots. If they are real thin n clear looking roots you’re to wet once they get nice n white n fat you’re on the right track. Seedlings are very easy to over water !! Happens to the best of them !!

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Keep the cup off .seedlings dont need it.
Ok I will take them all off. Is there ever a time to dome seedlings? I am struggling to get higher RH right now and often drop down to 50ish during the day here in AZ. I'm right out the gate and think I LED "shocked" them a bit. This is the oldest seedling, a GRC x BBC and tomorrow is 2 weeks since put in the soil. I'm gettin pissed that I can't measure light accurately and have Photone and PPFD Meter free apps but they read way differently. Photone says 200 ppfd and ppfd meter says 325. As seen in pic I think I burned them early on and now have light at 30" and 2nd lowest setting. I thought that it was ok to bag or dome seedlings to raise humidity but fk that if you say not to poof they gone. Thanks man

20220625 222244
PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

I would say yes but depending on environment!!!! Just keep an eye on those roots. I see you have em in clear cups ( GOOD ) so you can watch them roots. If they are real thin n clear looking roots you’re to wet once they get nice n white n fat you’re on the right track. Seedlings are very easy to over water !! Happens to the best of them !!
Yeah I'm frikkin not 2 weeks in and without realizing or even watering them I think they are overwatered 😆 I have a fine mist bottle I squirted just a handful of times on the surface and the soil was soaked and drained before dropped seeds. Hmm I wonder if what I did was start them off with a healthy dose of being drowned 😳

Madmax

Madmax

No not really....your soil will dry out better with it off.50% is still pretty good .ive have mine down to 39% at that stage and turned out fine.i use 24watt x4 t5 hos flouros at 8 -9" away. for 2 weeks is plenty for seedlings and you will find once they get to 2-3 weeks old and you have up potted into bigger pot they will make there own humidity and from evaporation.i up pot at 2 weeks but im in coco/perlite and rh is in the 50s..the light will need moving up more id say.

Beazy

Beazy

Like madmax said I run my veg at real low humidity n have only had probs with a VERY FEW SEEDS 3 of which I’m dealing with now and I think it’s just old stock. I run myseedlings under T5s as well

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

No not really....your soil will dry out better with it off.50% is still pretty good .ive have mine down to 39% at that stage and turned out fine.i use 24watt x4 t5 hos flouros at 8 -9" away. for 2 weeks is plenty for seedlings and you will find once they get to 2-3 weeks old and you have up potted into bigger pot they will make there own humidity and from evaporation.i up pot at 2 weeks but im in coco/perlite and rh is in the 50s..the light will need moving up more id say.
Appreciate it much and son of a ........ what a fkn stoner I am. I could not for the life of me figure out why the soil wasn't drying 😆

You said "the light will need moving up more id say". You mean I should raise it higher than 30" now or you mean turn the intensity up? My ppfd apps are reading 200 and 325 so I'm pretty much just guessing

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

So I dropped a Barneys Farm Blue Sunset Sherbert bean and it was a dud. I dropped another and the tap root was like black like it was dead and I'm like wtf. I dropped a THIRD one and cut the black tail off the tap root and planted in a solo cup, but I planted it waaay to the side because honestly I thought no way it was going to grow. Sooo now that it is sprouting, if the one in the center does not, is it a big problem having the roots be so far to the side? I'm a frikkin mess lol I just wanted to grow 3 cultivars this grow. 1)GRCxBBC 2)Blue Sunset Sherbert 3) Mimosa x Orange Punch, and somehow I have 3 GRCs going, 1 mimosa that seems frozen in time/stunted, 1 "maybe" 2 BSS, and a Blueberry seed germinating on my modem. wtf

20220625 225440
Madmax

Madmax

Oh i fucked up..i thought you had a photontek light lol..put glasses on .puts bong down hahaha..im insure on the ppfd as i dont use them bud..I know @Aqua Man would know and many others that use it..didnt see your pic of thev2 week old plant till now..looks good mate..close to up potting that one..

Beazy

Beazy

If tou cut the tap root off a seed and it’s still growing I’d say you have a trooper cuz that just don’t happen !! IF you did truly cut a tap root !! To the side won’t matter a bit !! If it’s gonna grow It’ll grow

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

If tou cut the tap root off a seed and it’s still growing I’d say you have a trooper cuz that just don’t happen !! IF you did truly cut a tap root
Aye. It was the very end and looked black like burnt black. That is why I planted off to the side in a "just in case" move cause thought no way. Tap root was never more than half inch to begin with. Hopefully 1 of them pulls through

Top Bottom