Question from a noob... what's this?

• Thread starter nugro10960
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nugro10960

nugro10960

Hi folks…

I’m a complete noob at growing for production. Finally legal in NYS! I grew about a dozen plants outdoors for the first time this year (dirtweed). I simply put the seedlings in the ground, fertilized, watered and let them grow…. Trimmed larger fan leaves periodically, that’s it.

3 of the plants developed these brown clusters where the branches meet the stem, and at the bottom of the buds (plants upside down in pics)

What the heck is that?
tried googling, searching sites, can't find a single similar reference. Appreciate any info.

Question from a noob whats this

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Is it plant material?

Is that a little hole under the one on the right? (It's OVER in the pic, but since it is upside-down…)

The only reason I ask is that stem borers (a caterpillar) will bore in and enter a stem at locations like that, and they leave some caterpillar poop at the site of entry. I don't think that's what's happening here, because I've never seen a clump of caterpillar poop that massive. But it's the only guess I have right now. Other than that, it looks like it could be rotting plant material, but again it's in a weird spot on the plant.

TSD

TSD

I wanna say mold, but it is in a weird spot and formation... I do see that you left a part of a leaf stem you cut off, that often causes mold... can you take closer clearer pics?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Left photo. Very top left of plant. Looks like pollen sacs. Kind of blurry though. Maybe the others are moldy pollen sacs.

TSD

TSD

Left photo. Very top left of plant. Looks like pollen sacs. Kind of blurry though. Maybe the others are moldy pollen sacs.
Good eye! It does look like that. Maybe she hermed out then the male parts died off and molded... are there seeds OP?

nugro10960

nugro10960

OK... thanks for all the input. Between the answers here, and consulting with some friends who grow,
I've concluded that the plants definitely "hermied", and what I have there is bud.
Just did a taste test, tastes fine and I got a buzz.
Again thanks for the input, I'm sure I'll be back asking questions in April
😉

Latest posts

Top Bottom