QUESTION- Is turning down my LED grow light an effective way to deal with burn and light stress or ..?

• Thread starter TwitchVee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TwitchVee

TwitchVee

QUESTION- Is turning down my LED grow light an effective way to deal with burn and light stress or is dimming counter-productive in any way?

I'm setting this up as a general question, in my case i'm using an SF7000(1000watt equivalent) in a 5x5 space, light height is maxed out and stretch caused me to get too close to the sun, an Icarus!!!

The substance of the question- is dimming the light percentage hurtful to yield? Quality? Anything? Is there a maximum decrease or specific increments? or is this not the way to handle it? Bear in mind, question has nothing to do with heat, this is a light stress/burn question. (:

BigCube

BigCube

That is exactly what dimming is for.👍

If you want another way to measure, grab yourself an android phone or tablet and download a light meter app.
They measure in lux/lumens and are a decent way to keep track of your light intensity.

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

That is exactly what dimming is for.👍

If you want another way to measure, grab yourself an android phone or tablet and download a light meter app.
They measure in lux/lumens and are a decent way to keep track of your light intensity.
Thank you, the lux meter apps did work on my phone, but they all maxed out at 13000, so I will need to either upgrade my phone or just invest $40 in a lux meter. Thank you for the info! I've turned down to around 87% now and will see how they fare now, too late for super-cropping. (;

chemistry

chemistry

If its your first grow with this light, then try a few different settings and see how you go, 100% is a good thing to have, but it can be overboard if you don't have enough space to use it, so its more fitting your light into your room, rather than running it to hard, and then turning it down when you hit a problem.

BigCube

BigCube

Thank you, the lux meter apps did work on my phone, but they all maxed out at 13000, so I will need to either upgrade my phone or just invest $40 in a lux meter. Thank you for the info! I've turned down to around 87% now and will see how they fare now, too late for super-cropping. (;

13,000 or 130,000?
I find 70k to 80k for flower and 40k to 50k for veg work best for me.

iPhone or android?

iPhones lux meters dont work. iPhone doesnt use a standard light sensor. They use a cheaper photo sensor that doesnt have the range or sensitivity to accurately measure.

If you tried android try this one called light meter, it's my favorite and works on my older phone too.
Screenshot 20210511 082057 Light Meter

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

13,000 or 130,000?
I find 70k to 80k for flower and 40k to 50k for veg work best for me.

iPhone or android?

iPhones lux meters dont work. iPhone doesnt use a standard light sensor. They use a cheaper photo sensor that doesnt have the range or sensitivity to accurately measure.

If you tried android try this one called light meter, it's my favorite and works on my older phone too.View attachment 1123122
definitely 13000,it would not allow my chart to read any higher, I was on android's latest version using that very app, then I tried to use about 3 others with the same result. Never did have any luck. I know for a fact my light produced way more than the app was telling me, because it maxed at 13k at the floor and moving it right up to the light made no difference, tried changing settings, changed the multiplier, still nothing

Arkos

Arkos

That is not correct, IPhone is actually much more accurate than android for this task. Just look at how close to the apogee it is.

BigCube

BigCube

That is not correct, IPhone is actually much more accurate than android for this task. Just look at how close to the apogee it is.

This must have recently changed. The same guy made a video about a year ago saying the iphone wouldn't work. Good on iphone. 👍

Both my samsung phones are less than 1% off my actual light meter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom