Question:Malasses and Hydro

• Thread starter wango63
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wango63

This is probably a stupid question but can adding malasses to my hydro nutes help? And when flushing the last week of flowering?

Thanks

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I thought molasses was a no no for hydro thcnology?

T

thcnology

Hey there Herer and Shaggy, no not at all is molasses strictly for soil, it works in hydro too... ecspecially if you are using beneficial bacteria. (I use Soil Secrets Earth Nectar/Earth Ambrosia) Now yes, there is some mess that I have to clean out of the reservoir at the end of the cycle...but nothing too bad... I don't know what your pain tolerance is to cleaning fish tanks? And some people cant stand a reservoir solution that looks like coffee, Its personal preference, but I'm in the camp that feeds the water not the plant...I've found the results using it outweighs the extra cleanup. But I've used this in drip for years, it wont clog anything...and perfectly safe...plants love it and they taste/smoke great. I'd even argue that some of my indoor dro tastes just as good if not better then my organic outdoor.

I'll bring this over from Guano's molasses thread...

Great Post Guano! I too have been using molasses for years, lot cheaper then Botanicare Sweet (Don't even get me started on Botanicare, I could tell you some things that would really scare you) and the homemade version in my opinion actually works better....So, now I've taken it a little further, to really sweeten my Sweet. I'm not a nutrient scientist but in 9th grade biology I figured out that we basically have three types of sugar, glucose, sucrose, and fructose. And plants can really safely use all of these...as carbs basically...Like hard working people, Hard working plants burn lots of carbs. In order to get a better represented sugar spectrum I use about a tablespoon of the following in a gallon of water:

All Organic!

Blackstrap Molasses
Grade B Maple Syrup
Tupelo Honey
Sucanat

I actually mix these into a bottle of 100% juice (not from concentrate and no preservatives), I use Juicy Juice Berry flavor around here but you could really use any flavor of juice to enhance the flavors already in your garden. I've even made my own juice and mixed this in, but I find a store bought brand seems to keep longer in the fridge and seems to be more stable in the reservoir. For example if you use orange juice you'd be adding alot of acid, so just keep that in mind.

I pour about a cup of this in a 50 gallon reservoir every week.

I see now Guano has that thread in a soil forum so good question Wango and good luck, let us know your results.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Great post thcnology, I had heard the same as Shaggy so I never tried it. Black-Strap Molasses is a staple with my soil plants though.

Top Bottom