question on cloning for sex

• Thread starter euphoria526
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
euphoria526

euphoria526

no, its not about that you sicko, get your mind out of the gutter, ew! lol jk

I know that I can take clones and flip them to determine the sex of the plant, but I have some possibly dumb questions I want to ask anybody who knows the answer(s)

1) would a standard single and or a couple cfl(s) be enough lighting to force sex on clones?
I have quite a few amazon boxes cluttering up, and ive been thinking of putting myself together a little budget 'sexing chamber'.
I have a lot of seeds. I have specifically a lot of photo seeds, and would love to cut down the time spent on the plant if I could determine sex sooner. I have my main grow LED so the cfl's would literally only be to determine the sex of the plants

2) what would be the best way to ensure these clones stay alive long enough to fully sex, eg; leaving them in a cup of water with light nutes for the week or so to show sex, or would it be better to put them in the soil I plan on using?

3) once determined to be female, is it worth it to take multiple cuttings and put them in with the mature plants to flower, having the main plant then a few smaller cuttings along side it also flowering?

thank you in advance!

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
As far as i know you can't really tell the sex until it''s in flowering mode.
For flowering it's not really the type of light you have but the amount of light there is. Photoperiod plants are set to maximum 12 hours of light
Normally, if i plan on growing in soil i just put my clone right away in soil. I do dip them in a root gel before hand. This way the roots that will grow will be used to the soil. However, i you must see roots before planting than tap water it is. No nutrients as it''s pointless for a clone that has no roots yet.

When i don't' know the sex of the seed I allow the plant to grow and i just do LST or HST. Once flipped to flower mode I check the plant for hairlines or ballsacks. If it has hair showing than i take my clones and push them back to veg while the main plant is still in flower mode.

You can have a flower plant go back into veg. However, it's best to take your clones when the plant is already in veg mode.

euphoria526

euphoria526

As far as i know you can't really tell the sex until it''s in flowering mode.
For flowering it's not really the type of light you have but the amount of light there is. Photoperiod plants are set to maximum 12 hours of light
Normally, if i plan on growing in soil i just put my clone right away in soil. I do dip them in a root gel before hand. This way the roots that will grow will be used to the soil. However, i you must see roots before planting than tap water it is. No nutrients as it''s pointless for a clone that has no roots yet.

When i don't' know the sex of the seed I allow the plant to grow and i just do LST or HST. Once flipped to flower mode I check the plant for hairlines or ballsacks. If it has hair showing than i take my clones and push them back to veg while the main plant is still in flower mode.

You can have a flower plant go back into veg. However, it's best to take your clones when the plant is already in veg mode.
Thanks for the reply PK!

the goal here, is to take cuttings to determine sex of the bigger plants so im not wasting time tending to a male plant and get to the females faster.
so what your saying is, is that you suggest to see roots before planting? thats how I read it, lol. I don't need to see them for myself, I just want something to show sex so I can cull the males. its for future reference, not the run im currently on.

just a small little box I can sick 3-4 cups to determine the cuttings for the bigger plants. does that make sense? lol

growsince79

growsince79

Thanks for the reply PK!

the goal here, is to take cuttings to determine sex of the bigger plants so im not wasting time tending to a male plant and get to the females faster.
so what your saying is, is that you suggest to see roots before planting? thats how I read it, lol. I don't need to see them for myself, I just want something to show sex so I can cull the males. its for future reference, not the run im currently on.

just a small little box I can sick 3-4 cups to determine the cuttings for the bigger plants. does that make sense? lol
Cfl 12_12 will work but I would root the clone 18 6 then flip. Here's my hi tech clone machine.

IMG 20210120 212258421
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I accidentally left a jar of water with extra cuts I did not plant in my flower tent under 12/12 and all went to flower after 12-14 days just sitting in the water. 🤷‍♂️ I would experiment with that perhaps as a quick cheap way if the fate of the clone is not super important

euphoria526

euphoria526

Cfl 12_12 will work but I would root the clone 18 6 then flip. Here's my hi tech clone machine.
nice newfangled tech ya got there ;) lol
thats the idea! I can put them in with the bigger plants till they root then put them in the homemade "chamber" with the cfl's under 12/12 to determine sex of the bigger plants, then kill the males from there.
if anyone else has anything to add please do, im open to more discussion

euphoria526

euphoria526

I accidentally left a jar of water with extra cuts I did not plant in my flower tent under 12/12 and all went to flower after 12-14 days just sitting in the water. 🤷‍♂️ I would experiment with that perhaps as a quick cheap way if the fate of the clone in not super important
the clone itself isn't super important, I just really need to keep them alive long enough to determine the sex of the plant it came from

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Then they don't need to be rooted

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Take a few cuts in a jar of water and see. Straight to 12/12. 90% chance you will see sex in a week or 2. Make sure there's a node below the waterline where you've removed fan leaves and keep the light really weak. Your box idea will work fine 👍

growsince79

growsince79

I accidentally left a jar of water with extra cuts I did not plant in my flower tent under 12/12 and all went to flower after 12-14 days just sitting in the water. 🤷‍♂️ I would experiment with that perhaps as a quick cheap way if the fate of the clone is not super important
Cali connection has your tip on their website. I tried it once but it died before it showed.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Cali connection has your tip on their website. I tried it once but it died before it showed.
Was it in a dome? I did mine at "normal" vpd numbers in my flower tent. And again, it was an accident but I have intentionally rooted clones in just water before.

growsince79

growsince79

Was it in a dome? I did mine at "normal" vpd numbers in my flower tent. And again, it was an accident but I have intentionally rooted clones in just water before.
No dome just water. I also tried rooting in soil with dome_12-12-no luck there either.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Thanks for the reply PK!

now i get ya, thats smart! let me know what happens as i've got two plants in soil that i don't' know the sex of

JoeyBliss

JoeyBliss

In my experience I used to root em and by that time the moms showed the. Sex. Technique is to take healthy lower branch/ branches soak in water for 25 hours the. Just stick em seed starting soil and I put I. Ina clear solo with drain hole cover by a red one no holes and I can take out to see if it roots. At 530 pm I’ll cover her with a small garbage can till 10 pm go take it if and by 6-9 days u will see either hairs female or balls males and h know then to make FPJ with the males and and I keep the clones just in case I find a keeper but most get gifted to family and friends. If I start indoors in early April and time my light to outsides sun. No hiccups and big plant with a long veg. 10 gallons pots minimum outside especially whenu go organic the biggger the better with that said 11/13 will speed up flower time so u can use that to show sex of cuts fast and trust the cut do not need to be rooted just have plenty of water

JoeyBliss

JoeyBliss

Yes that happen from lack of strong sunlight. It’s super cool cause u can see sex fast. They may reveg with little worries

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Take cuttings, root'em directly 12/12 under 30w 6500k osram twister fluos lights with rockwool presoaked to 500us ph 5.5, no dome, spray water 3x a day for first 3 days, them let em be and keep rockwools humid, by the time they root they will be showing sex, maybe one week later from rooting.
did this many times, works everytime.
if you don't have a place exclusive for clones put the cuttings at pot level in a semi shady area of you flower room if possible, should work too.

Top Bottom