Question on LED grow lights and DPI and PPFD

• Thread starter firemanjim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

firemanjim

I have a question concerning LED grow lights that I am hoping someone can answer.
It is said that a cannabis plant in flower grows best with a DPI of 45-50 and a PPFD of 850-950.
When you have an LED grow light that is advertised as being full spectrum, and lets say this grow light is rated at 450 watts and at the canopy you have a DLI of 50 in flower, why would a 600 or 1000 watt be a better grow light. If the DPI and PPFD are within what the cannabis plant requires for optimum growth, what benefit would a bigger light offer.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I have a question concerning LED grow lights that I am hoping someone can answer.
It is said that a cannabis plant in flower grows best with a DPI of 45-50 and a PPFD of 850-950.
When you have an LED grow light that is advertised as being full spectrum, and lets say this grow light is rated at 450 watts and at the canopy you have a DLI of 50 in flower, why would a 600 or 1000 watt be a better grow light. If the DPI and PPFD are within what the cannabis plant requires for optimum growth, what benefit would a bigger light offer.
The over-sized light gives you extra options. The biggest benefit is the ability to upgrade your grow area without purchasing new lighting. Over-sized lighting allows you to keep your light further away from the plants. What does this do? It means that the cubic area you're growing in is closer in light intensity from it's top to it's bottom. Lastly, if you want to run CO2, you can without having to upgrade your lighting. Those are 3 immediate benefits that come to mind.

Edit: All my lights have a dimmer so adjustments in intensity are easy.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

Most people start with 1 light for their first grow or just in veg and add a second when switching to flower. Some report increased bud density. The tradeoff is higher temps and higher electric bills. I'd go by what the plants tell you they want, too much or too little.

F

firemanjim

OK, so that all makes sense. I didn't even take into consideration the footprint, guess I was to wrapped up in the DLI and PPFD
Thank you all for the replies.

Tremojem

Tremojem

All good responses.

An oversized light will provide complete coverage for the canopy footprint.

In other words.

1) Higher distance from canopy, without usable photon loss. In fact, more even distribution of light throughout entire canopy footprint.
2) Longer lifespan. All components will benefit from less stress associated with high wattage usage. LEDs do not like being driven hard, and efficiencies suffer.
3) Everything runs cooler and more efficient. No more heat management. Light without heat is the holy grail.
4) $$$ Savings on electric bill. See number 5.
5) Run lamp at 60%-80% of full power to achieve same desired result. This depends on many factors. You cannot place a 1000W lamp in a 2x2 and reduce power while raising lamp distance, enough for it to work properly. Its all relative. You only wany to oversize enough to be efficient and effective, while also allowing flexibility.
6) You have the option to run Co2. This is where the rub is. Too much wattage and its useless, not enough and its useless. But oversized just enough and you will be fine.

I am not s pro. Just my 2 cents.

If you really want reliable technical answers, I suggest waiting for a Senior member or Pro from this great forum or visiting Coco For Cannabis, or Migro websites and YouTube channels. They even allow for questions etc.

Not knocking the GREAT community here. I am only defending my post, as I got all my limited knowledge from those two very reputable sites listed above. And of course...here.

My apologies to the community if my post is bad or offensive or in any way insulting. This is not my intention. I'm just a little gun shy from the beating on another forum sponsored by Mars Hydro where I shared my very bad experience with the TS3000. That's why I included the pre-apology.

Best to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom